Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Does not cover with satellites RBK53

leahkushner
Aspirant

Orbi Does not cover with satellites RBK53

I just installed the RB53. I replaced my modem to the Arris T25. I have the faster blast internet from Xfinity. I have a 5,000sq ft single floor home with a large building envelope. I was able to install the satellites in a daisy chain fashion R-S-S but I did not see anywhere where I could change any of the settings. The satellites were more than 30ft apart due to the size of the house but the color was blue. I also purchased an outdoor satellite which never turned on, there never was a light at all after multiple attempts to turn on and off. Nothing happened. . I wanted to put this outside as I frequently am on ZOOM meetings about 50FT from the router. My last system was the Nighthawk with multiple repeaters and wall-extenders which sometimes dropped internet connection (unstable). Today with the RBK50 the outside connection was worse. Question: I am thinking of the following solutions and would like your advice on these and any others. 1. I am sending back the outdoor satellite I could repurchase and install it 50ft from the router for outdoor coverage. The electricity source is an outdoor shed 50ft from the router. Otherwise I am having to put in another electric panel. 2. Is the RBK outdoor satellite the same strength as the RBK50 indoor. Since it is inside the shed I could put it inside but it is still 50ft from the router. 3. This outdoor satellite. Don't I need to put it in some kind of housing to protect from the elements? Otherwise, I am attaching it to a board in the middle of the yard. It would be subject to heavy rain, wind, etc. 4. How many satellites can I use with the RBK50 router? Does the satellite wall count as one? 5. Is there a better stronger system I should be looking at? Does the 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz matter? Thanks for the help. Leah

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Does not cover with satellites RBK53

So many questions.

• The RBS50Y satellite is designed to be placed "outdoors".  It is supposed to handle reasonable amounts of weather (rain, sun).  The instructions are to set it up first in the same (indoor) room as the Orbi router and then move it to an outdoor location after it have been connected to the router.  It has to be close enough to another Orbi unit to get a "good" signal.  More than 50 ft. is "pushing the envelop."
  • User have reported as many as six satellites on a single Orbi router.  That would appear to be WAY more than necessary to cover a 5,000 sq. ft. building plus some outdoor seating areas.
  • It is probably not a great idea to put an outdoor rated satellite inside a shed.  That will reduce the WiFi Daisy Chain signal to the other Orbi units and will also reduce the WiFi signal to client devices.  If the satellite is not "outdoor rated", than putting it inside a shed makes more sense.
  • WiFi radio strength is regulated in each country (in the US by the FCC).  Orbi broadcasts at the maximum strength.
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Does not cover with satellites RBK53

IF you want and see wifi outside, then a RBS50Y unit maybe what your looking for. 

My 1 RBR and RBS 50 works well in my 5000sq ft two story home. I do get wifi out side as well, about 20 feet is about the limit beyond the building.

Placement is key as well. Basements are not good places for RBRs or main host routers. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

So many questions.

• The RBS50Y satellite is designed to be placed "outdoors".  It is supposed to handle reasonable amounts of weather (rain, sun).  The instructions are to set it up first in the same (indoor) room as the Orbi router and then move it to an outdoor location after it have been connected to the router.  It has to be close enough to another Orbi unit to get a "good" signal.  More than 50 ft. is "pushing the envelop."
  • User have reported as many as six satellites on a single Orbi router.  That would appear to be WAY more than necessary to cover a 5,000 sq. ft. building plus some outdoor seating areas.
  • It is probably not a great idea to put an outdoor rated satellite inside a shed.  That will reduce the WiFi Daisy Chain signal to the other Orbi units and will also reduce the WiFi signal to client devices.  If the satellite is not "outdoor rated", than putting it inside a shed makes more sense.
  • WiFi radio strength is regulated in each country (in the US by the FCC).  Orbi broadcasts at the maximum strength.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7