Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Doesn't Play Well with FortiClient VPN

Floorhor
Aspirant

Orbi Doesn't Play Well with FortiClient VPN

At my old house, I tried to use my Orbi system, but had to get Spectrum's router in order to connect to my company's vpn properly. But we've moved to a multi-story townhouse and I really need the mesh network. But I can't connect to vpn!!

The Orbi works great for everything else, including my wife's company's vpn. So I'm wondering if I can put a normal wifi router in front of the Orbi router so I can connect my company computer to it, while everything else stays the same?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Doesn't Play Well with FortiClient VPN

@Floorhor wrote:

The Orbi works great for everything else, including my wife's company's vpn. So I'm wondering if I can put a normal wifi router in front of the Orbi router so I can connect my company computer to it, while everything else stays the same?

Yes, you can install a "regular router" in front of the Orbi.  In order to reduce future headaches, the recommendation is to then place the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode, so that there is only a single router.  I would look for a router that has no WiFi feature. (Why pay for something only to turn it off?)

Since your wife's VPN client appears to work with the Orbi, it is a real puzzle why yours does not.  There is nothing "different" about the Orbi router that should affect VPNs.  My guess is the company IT staff isn't particularly interested in solving "your problem."  Google search turned up recommendations of things to check.  Here's one: https://help.fortinet.com/fclient/FortiClient-UG/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=fgt&f... 

Message 2 of 5
Floorhor
Aspirant

Bought a nighthawk router and put it between the Orbi and the modem. Works great!

Thanks!
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you put the Orbi in AP mode, or connect directly to the Nighthawk?

Message 4 of 5
Floorhor
Aspirant

Found a video showing how to operate with two ssids, as I couldn’t hard wire. From what I remember, I disabled DHCP, set the orbis MAC address, then set both router’s channels to prevent interference. Fairly simple. Works great.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7