Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Ethernet Backhaul causing broadcast storm

mgeorgy
Tutor

Orbi Ethernet Backhaul causing broadcast storm

I have just upgraded my Orbi router and satellites to V2.1.1.12 hoping to take advantage of the recent Ethernet backhaul feature.  I use the Orbi router as my main router with a 24 port switch servicing the rest of my home network.  When I tried connecting the satellites to the switch via ethernet as demonstrated in the NetGear support article (image below) the satellites appear to have caused a broadcast storm disrupting all communications across the network.

NetGear does not provide any configuration setting other than ensure firmware is upgraded on the router and satellites (they're all running 2.1.1.12).  What am I missing?

I've tried this with and without disabling the Daisy-Chain Topology option with the same effect.

Orbi-3

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 72
tcommander
Guide

I intended to set this up tonight in this exact same house servicing switch configuration.  Can someone address this post as to what to expect?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 72
mgeorgy
Tutor

I spent a day this weekend trying every possible configuration, I factory reset the router and satellites several times, attempted connecting the satellites directly to the router via ethernet and in every scenario the satellites worked at first but upon any changes to the router reconfiguration that seemingly required a reboot (DHCP Reservation, Custom DNS Server, etc) the packet storm would ensue.

I've temporarily given up on the Ethernet backhaul and have started shopping for an entirely new networking solution to replace the Orbi.

Message 3 of 72
tcommander
Guide

In addition to the issue you are having that I was going to tackle today I am also having the Google Pixel reboots the Router when it connects issue.  I am basically shopping for a different solution too and am curious if you are leaning towards anything specific?

I have my 2 thoughts narrowed down to the Linksys Velop or Google Wifi and using Ethernet Backhaul with them since it seems to be much more baked in and the Pixel while it may slow things down on the network doesn't reboot the router and take EVERYTHING off the network...

Message 4 of 72
mgeorgy
Tutor

I just wasted another 2 hours on with Tech Support.  After reflashing the firmware my Orbi Router will no longer show either devices or satellites connected (both are 0).  This is a problem if you need to reserve DHCP leases for specific MACs (yes, I can enter it in by hand, but that's not why I paid $500).  The satellites show they're connected, but none of my wireless devices want to connect to them, only the router...which shows no connections.

The tech support rep finally said she'd need to elevate this issue; give them 24 hours to respond.  All great if this were a hobby, not a necessity for my livelihood.  I am leaning towards a bad router, but can't do much about it until I hear back from tech support or decide I'm taking the entire setup back to Costco.

For now, I've started researching alternatives here:  https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/best-mesh-wireless-system/

Message 5 of 72
vcdx71
Star

I have the same issue with ethernet backhaul if I plug both satelites in, I currently have just one and it's working fine. Though I can't verfiy anything since my device/sat count is zero so I'm only guessing it's working over ethernet.

I did some experiments by creating a seperate VLAN for the satelites and plugging another cable from the router into the switch on that VLAN. This worked as far as allowing Internet Access but it didn't allow WI-FI devices to talk to other hard wired systems on the same subnet but on a different VLAN, which tells me the satelite isn't backhauling all traffic to the router but dropping local traffic onto the switch.

I also thought spanning tree was an issue since pluggin the Ethernet cable in does create a loop so I disabled spanning tree on all my switches, also didn't help anything.

At this point I've also given up on the ethernet backhaul feature. There needs to be more info on how the environment needs to be configured, the KB as is is pretty useless, unless you can homerun your sats to the router, which I can't without pulling more cable that I don't want to, that's why I have switches..

Message 6 of 72
turnerm05
Luminary

@tcommander I've moved on to Eero and it's been absolutely rock solid.  A truly set and forget wifi setup and I'm getting excellent speeds in all corners of my house.  Orbi is still a little faster in certain areas but the stability of Eero is a huge winner for me.

The only thing I miss is that Eero has no web GUI (you have a to use an app on your phone/tablet to manage the route).  The other bummer is some of the advanced features available on Orbi (security logs, VPN hosting, etc) are not available on Eero.

But it appears that I'll be sticking with Eero.  I'm happy with it.  Setup was a breeze and I've literally had zero reboots or issues since getting up and running.

Message 7 of 72
tcommander
Guide

@turnerm05 thanks for the feedback.  I have my packing slip printed to return the Orbi and Linksys Velop on it's way.  I looked at Eero closely.  My home is wired for ethernet in every room with home runs to a central closet in my bonus room.  Since i have that capability I ruled out Eero for the lack of ethernet ports and subsequently lacking wired backhaul.  Linksys Velo and Google Wifi (Significant performance improvements with wired connections) actually were my top considerations with that in mind based on the review posted in this thread also along with the small net builder reviews and rankings.  TP-Link caught my attention but once I researched the performance speeds of it I opted to stick with my initial choice of Linksys (Despite it's much higher cost).

And for the record wired backhaul is not the issue for me as discussed in this thread.  I only have one satellite and when I did wired backhaul last night things seem to function properly (But I have no switch in my connection).  My issue is that my Pixel on the network reboots the router and subsequently takes 100% of my network devices offline.  I can't live with that (I could live with no wired backhaul).  So back the Orbi goes.  And to be fail the issue sounds like it is with the Pixel phones (or Android 8.0/8.1) but the way Netgear Orbi handles that issue is not ok compared to other solutions.

Message 8 of 72
turnerm05
Luminary

@tcommander Eero supports wired backhaul.  Originally this wasn't supported but now it is.  I'm running two of my units (gateway and one other) on a wired backhaul connection with 3 other units running wirelessly.  Performance has been flawless.  

I wish the Eero units had more ethernet ports on the back but this is easily solved with a cheap switch.

The Velop system should work well for you though - best of luck!

Message 9 of 72
tcommander
Guide

@turnerm05 I thought I read the Eero router came with ethernet ports but that their sattelites were called beacons and that they did not have ethernet ports?  Did I read wrong / misunderstand pertaining to Eero Gen 2?

Message 10 of 72
turnerm05
Luminary

@tcommander They have two main products that come packaged in multiple different ways but basically, they have a puck style unit  that has two ethernet ports and they have beacons  which plug direction into a power outlet that have no ethernet ports.

You can buy the Eero pro package which comes with three pucks.  Or you can buy a package that comes with one puck and two beacons.  Or you can buy a package that is one puck and one beacon, etc...

I bought the Pro package and then bought a package with one puck and one beacon.  The beacons are nice in certain situations but I definitely prefer the pucks in most situations.

Their packaging can be a little confusing but if you want ethernet ports, stick to the pucks.

Message 11 of 72
swanny76
Tutor

I am having this same issue. After updating my router and satellite firmware. I tried setting up ethernet backhaul and it crashed my entire network as well. On 3 separate attempts, the outcomes were the same. Had to reboot my modem and router to get internet back. Hope this addressed in a future update as ethernet backhaul was a feature I really wanted to use. I still have about 25 days in my return window so maybe I will explore alternatives as well.

Message 12 of 72
tcommander
Guide

@swanny76 how many satellites do you have?
Message 13 of 72
swanny76
Tutor

Just one for now. I just bought the system but will need to add a second if I keep the system. Thanks
Message 14 of 72
lowepg
Apprentice

Curious, why would you opt for wired backhaul for this system? One of its most unique features (wgot which we paid a premium!) is the dedicated wireless backhaul.

If I had cat6 connecting all my satelites- there's no way in hell Id be using this system. You could very easily plug in wifi access points and take advantage of some kickass (and bulletproof) hardware from companies like Ubiquity, etc.

Message 15 of 72
swanny76
Tutor

One area I plan on putting a satilite has cat6, the other does not. I have a unique set up with an out building that requires coverage and wanted the ease and benefit of one system and one ssid (mostly for the wife and kids). The wireless performance is acceptable but if the system is supposed to support wired backhaul, my thinking was to take load off the system where possible to improve performance, as we have 40 plus devices connected at any given time. Previous set up was a router and APs. Regardless of my choice for the system the ethernet backhaul isn't working. My cat6 goes through a gigabit switch which looking at other posts might be causing the issue.
Message 16 of 72
Chillyb
Aspirant

Having the same issue and now ity's messing with my Sonos system - "congested network."  I wish I'd never bought the Orbi.

Message 17 of 72
def1ant
Initiate

I have the same problem.  Tried to hook up with wiredbackhaul.  I have router + 2 sattellites.  Instantly, my network became unstable.  Router wouldn't give out DHCP.  I would reboot - it would be available for 2 min and then again just drop.  Finally, removed the wired back haul and its stable for now.  

I am on 2.1.2.18 but that seems to be super unstable.  I have had this system for 10 months now.  Never had as many issues until recently.  Netgear needs to figure this out and fix it.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 18 of 72
st_shaw
Master

wrote:

Having the same issue and now ity's messing with my Sonos system - "congested network."  I wish I'd never bought the Orbi.

@Chillyb The Sonos speakers can create a network loop because they have both wired and wireless connections on them.  Orbi and Sonos need to be configured properly to avoid this.  

You need to make sure you are using one of the following configurations:

1. Sonos on WiFi with absolutley NO Sonos devices wired to your network.

OR

2. Sonos on Sonosnet (aka Boost Mode) with ONLY ONE Sonos device wired to your network. In this configuration you must manually set Sonos and Orbi to use non-overlapping channels on the 2.4 GHz band.  Set Orbi on CH1 and Sonos on CH11 or vice versa.

Message 19 of 72
stevegon
Tutor

mgeorgy, any updates on this? I have dedicated Cat5e, but I need WiFi in my office, so I am considering buying the Orbi. I would want to do Ethernet Backhaul, but it sounds like there are serious defects still...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 20 of 72

Add me to the list of folks needing ethernet backahul to work. I have two satellites and am having the same problem as the OP. Any attempt to use ethernet backhaul in any configuration shuts down the whole network. I am currently running Firmware Ver. 2.0.1.4, which the website and App indiacte are the latest. Of course, the website shows a version 2.1.2.18, but is listed as older, which doesn't make any sense. Can anyone clarify the latest firmware version and why the numbers seem out of order? Also, NETGEAR how about a response why ethernet backhaul in the configuration shown in the manula cause the network to shutdown?

Thanks.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 21 of 72
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

The executive summary is that this is a known bug in the 2.0 firmware. I encountered it, too. It is reputedly fixed in 2.1, which I haven’t tried. But 2.1 has other issues and was removed from the auto-update path. 2.2 is currently in the works but not yet released.

if you need wired backhaul today, manually install 2.1 and live with whatever other defects that entails. I can vouch that a pre-release version of 2.2 works very well but is not quite 100% there. I don’t know when it will be released fully baked. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 22 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Users will need to phone contact NG support to ask if any Betas are available for use with there systems. 

Message 23 of 72

Understood, thanks for the update and clarification RocketSquirrel.

Message 24 of 72
martinoss
Aspirant

Betreff: Orbi Ethernet Backhaul causing broadcast storm

Waited a long time for NETGEAR to implement the Ethernet Backhaul. Finally bought Orbi this week.

Plugged in the satellite to a switch and my entire network immediately got killed. Had to reboot everything, including the modem.

What a frustration!

Should I wait for 2.2 or return it to the retailer?

Message 25 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7