Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Ethernet Backhaul

cjzielie
Tutor

Orbi Ethernet Backhaul

I recently bought the Orbi RBK-44-100NAS 4 pack and had a question about connection possibilties, the system is currently setup as 1 router and 3 wireless satelites but I live in a house the has multiple ethernet ports wired throughout the house and was wondering if I can plug one of my satelites into an ethernet plug in my kitchen and have it work as a so called backhaul satelite or if it would even matter or benefit the system, and if so in what way ? Thanks for your help 

Message 1 of 7
budy
Luminary

Betreff: Orbi Ethernet Backhaul

Go for it! It's always better to hardwire your satellites, if possible. I am running my setup in AP mode and ethernet backhaul has been a breeze so far.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 7
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

wrote:

I recently bought the Orbi RBK-44-100NAS 4 pack and had a question about connection possibilties, the system is currently setup as 1 router and 3 wireless satelites but I live in a house the has multiple ethernet ports wired throughout the house and was wondering if I can plug one of my satelites into an ethernet plug in my kitchen and have it work as a so called backhaul satelite or if it would even matter or benefit the system, and if so in what way ? Thanks for your help 

So, I'll be a little more specific than @buddy. He or she is right - "go for it" and "it's always better to be hardwired". 

However... there's more to this scene. The ethernet backhaul feature was half baked when it was released by Netgear. You must both expect problems with it (see this post, and this reply) and expect your Orbi to sometimes switch back to using a wireless backhaul for no obvious reason. So, yes, use it. But, don't pour time into trying to find out why it's not working as you expect. It's just an unreliable feature.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 7
TechGeezer
Aspirant

I also just installed a RBK44 wifi.Updated to the latest firmware V2. 1.4.16.  RBR40 is setup in AP mode. I also have wired ethernet throughout the house, so I setup the satellites with wired backhaul. In the first 12 hours I've seen a number of problems:

(1) One or two satellites seem to randomly switch between wired and wireless backhaul. One remote unit has to pass thru 2 Gigibit switches to reach the RBR40 and never shows wired hackhaul status. Pe haps buggy firmware...?  Any suggestions?

(2) Attempts to login to the router using "orbilogin.com" always fail with message that i'm not connected to the Orbi Network ...Usually I can login using the IP address assigned to the RBR40.

(3) At least 2 times, login attempts using the IP address just time out.  Ping also fails for the IP address. Reboot or Sync of the RBR40 resolves the issue for a while.

(4) The iOS app and android app, are hit or miss on login. 9/10 times i just get a message "Try Again" 

(5) login to the RBR40 and Show Devices, Usually shows the satellite units as connected devices but not satellite devices.  It also shows satellite units constantly going offline, but I'm not sure I trust this. One satellite unit is located in a detached garage, even when the unit status is offline, there are no magenta lights and the WIFI cennection seems fine.

Overall the firmware, apps, and web interface are quite disappointing.

Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Any managed network switches in between the Orbi router and satellite(s)? If so, whats the Mfr and model# of the switch?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Might try this kind of configuration I did on my friends system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@TechGeezer wrote:

I also just installed a RBK44 wifi.Updated to the latest firmware V2. 1.4.16.  RBR40 is setup in AP mode. I also have wired ethernet throughout the house, so I setup the satellites with wired backhaul. In the first 12 hours I've seen a number of problems:

(1) One or two satellites seem to randomly switch between wired and wireless backhaul. One remote unit has to pass thru 2 Gigibit switches to reach the RBR40 and never shows wired hackhaul status. Pe haps buggy firmware...?  Any suggestions?

(2) Attempts to login to the router using "orbilogin.com" always fail with message that i'm not connected to the Orbi Network ...Usually I can login using the IP address assigned to the RBR40.

(3) At least 2 times, login attempts using the IP address just time out.  Ping also fails for the IP address. Reboot or Sync of the RBR40 resolves the issue for a while.

(4) The iOS app and android app, are hit or miss on login. 9/10 times i just get a message "Try Again" 

(5) login to the RBR40 and Show Devices, Usually shows the satellite units as connected devices but not satellite devices.  It also shows satellite units constantly going offline, but I'm not sure I trust this. One satellite unit is located in a detached garage, even when the unit status is offline, there are no magenta lights and the WIFI cennection seems fine.

Overall the firmware, apps, and web interface are quite disappointing.

Message 5 of 7
ron-68
Initiate

I had some similar issues with RBK23 (AP-mode, 2.1.4.16) and thought about resetting to factory settings. But everything worked fine by starting in the right sequence:
- switched everything off + disconnected all ethernet, except WAN to internet
- started router + wait 5 mins
- start 1st satellite + wait 10 mins
- start 2nd satellite + wait 10 mins
- connect ethernet to 1st satellite + wait 10 mins
- connect ethernet to 2 nd satellite + wait 10 mins
- reconnect all other ethernet devices

To my surprise ... everything is running smooth now.
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Success with Orbis seems random. Initially, wired backhaul killed my network. Now, it works perfectly. I can’t explain it. Ron-68’s suggestion of allowing time between device connections sounds right to me.

If it takes up too much of your time, return the Orbis & get something else.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7