Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Ethernet backhaul setup in AP mode with unmanaged switch

Docyak
Aspirant

Orbi Ethernet backhaul setup in AP mode with unmanaged switch

I currently have an Orbi RBR50 (firmware 2.5.1.8) in AP mode, RBS50 (firmware 2.5.1.8), RBS50 (firmware 2.5.1.8) and RBS20 (firmware 2.5.1.16) around my house. I have intermittent connectivity issues and every now and the the backhaul is listed as disconnected

To get around this I reconnected my cat5e to the RBR50 LAN port (so LED is pink) and then connected routers around the house with a cat5e and system is working. However, with this setup I cannot log into the routers to make any changes.

Therefore I am looking to setup an ethernet backhaul differently. I have optimum (AKA Altice) service and use the Orbi in AP mode. The house is wired with Cat5e. This is my proposed set up.

Modem --> Ubiquiti EdgeX Router --> Unmanaged switch --> Cat 5e in the wall --> WAN Port RBR50 (in AP mode)

Then another cable from LAN Port RBR 50 --> Cat 5e in the wall--> Unmanaged switch --> Cat 5e in the wall --> RBS50 and RBS20 Satellites around the house.

Would this configuration work?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Ethernet backhaul setup in AP mode with unmanaged switch

After you connected the RBR to the system initally, you should have access to the RBRs web page at orbilogin.com or look at the host routers connected clients table to see what IP address the RBR in AP mode go from the host router. To help avoid having to look up the IP address all the time, set a static IP address on the RBR in AP mode. I use 192.168.#.50. This IP address needs to fall outside of the host routers default IP addresss pool so you may need to reduce the size of the host routers IP address pool. I use 192.168.#.100 thru .200.

The configuration you suggest should work. 

@Docyak wrote:

I currently have an Orbi RBR50 (firmware 2.5.1.8) in AP mode, RBS50 (firmware 2.5.1.8), RBS50 (firmware 2.5.1.8) and RBS20 (firmware 2.5.1.16) around my house. I have intermittent connectivity issues and every now and the the backhaul is listed as disconnected

To get around this I reconnected my cat5e to the RBR50 LAN port (so LED is pink) and then connected routers around the house with a cat5e and system is working. However, with this setup I cannot log into the routers to make any changes.

Therefore I am looking to setup an ethernet backhaul differently. I have optimum (AKA Altice) service and use the Orbi in AP mode. The house is wired with Cat5e. This is my proposed set up.

Modem --> Ubiquiti EdgeX Router --> Unmanaged switch --> Cat 5e in the wall --> WAN Port RBR50 (in AP mode)

Then another cable from LAN Port RBR 50 --> Cat 5e in the wall--> Unmanaged switch --> Cat 5e in the wall --> RBS50 and RBS20 Satellites around the house.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

After you connected the RBR to the system initally, you should have access to the RBRs web page at orbilogin.com or look at the host routers connected clients table to see what IP address the RBR in AP mode go from the host router. To help avoid having to look up the IP address all the time, set a static IP address on the RBR in AP mode. I use 192.168.#.50. This IP address needs to fall outside of the host routers default IP addresss pool so you may need to reduce the size of the host routers IP address pool. I use 192.168.#.100 thru .200.

The configuration you suggest should work. 

@Docyak wrote:

Message 2 of 6
Docyak
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Thank you so much. It seemed to work (I did not specify a static ip) because when I plugged in the cat5e the satellites turned blue and on my orbi app i see a solid line connection. However when I log into the RBR50 via a web browser it says "Disconnected" under "backhaul status" next to my satelittes?

Message 3 of 6
theoak
Luminary

2.5.1.8 folks either love or hate.  I would try:

1. Resetting all of you Orbi devices.

2. Upgrading everything to 2.5.1.16.

3. Reconfiguring.

A lot of folks reset via the pin on the back of the devices.  There is also a reset via the web GUI.  It saves you from having to run around to all of your devices.

I have heard of some folks recommending a step 2.5 with another round of resets before configuring.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What connections and or switches are in between the RBR and RBS? 

The wired configuration should be like this:

ISP Modem>Host router>RBR in AP mode>RBS directly connected to back of RBR or RBS connected to a GB Lan switch between the RBR and RBS. 

Please provide any patch panel and switch mfr and model # information if used in the configuration. 

@Docyak wrote:

@FURRYe38 

Thank you so much. It seemed to work (I did not specify a static ip) because when I plugged in the cat5e the satellites turned blue and on my orbi app i see a solid line connection. However when I log into the RBR50 via a web browser it says "Disconnected" under "backhaul status" next to my satelittes?

Message 5 of 6
Docyak
Aspirant

I'm seeing a bunch of forums about the "disconnected backhaul" i do not think it has anything to do with the setup

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7