Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Ethernet ports

silverdawn
Aspirant

Orbi Ethernet ports

Hello,

I recently had Spectrum (Timewarner cable) come out to the house to adress network connectivity issues.  I should be pulling in over 400Mbps and I am getting that through to my Arris SB6190 router.  However, when I connect my Orbi to the Arris and then do a bandwidtch test I am getting anywhere from 380-200 Mpbs on wireless, which is good.  I understand it is shared bandwidth.  I believe the wireless is operating as expected.

My concern is on the Orbi ethernet ports.  From my computer connecting to the Arris directly using ethernet I am pulling in about 480Mbps fairly consitently.  However, when I connect the Arris to the Orbi (via Internet Port) and I connect to any of the standard 3 ethernet ports on the Orbi I am barely pulling in 150Mpbs or less.  I am on Router Firmware Version V2.1.4.16.  Meaning wireless is pulling in faster bandwidth than ethernet which makes no sense to me.  Do you have any idea why this is occuring?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 10
silverdawn
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Ethernet ports

Attached is a screen shot from  the Orbi showing everything is at 1000M/Full

Message 2 of 10
silverdawn
Aspirant

Orbi to the Arris I am getting:

467.58Mbps 23.98Mbps

So it's not the direct connect from PC to modem, nor the modem to Orbi.  It's the Orbi to my PC through those 3 ethernet ports which are supposed to be at 1000M/Full. 

Message 3 of 10
silverdawn
Aspirant

My ethernet status on my WIN10 PC is also showing 1.0Gbps connection to the ethernet port on the Orbi.

Message 4 of 10
varase
Guide

I think what he's saying is not that the ethernet ports negotiate at a slower speed, but that he gets less bandwidth (actual data transfer speed) through the LAN ports than through wireless.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You do understand that the 1000Mb speed is a physical connection rate ONLY between the Orbi LAN ports and LAN adatper card on the PC right? Not a data thru-put rate which is completly different. 

Message 6 of 10
silverdawn
Aspirant

I do understand that, the point that I am trying to make is two fold.  The physical capability on those ethernet ports is 1000Mbps or 1Gbps.  In an external bandwidth test to Speakeasy or to Ookla I am getting around 100Mbps.  My external bandwidth through my Arris direct connect port is 480 and that matches running the same test through the Orbi QoS option.  Those screen captures I provided shows that.  I should easily get a bandwidth test going out to Ookla at 480Mpbs using the Orbi ethernet ports, they are rated capable of doing 1000Mpbs.  As a point of reference from my Arris it's rated at 1.4Gbps, but I am paying for 400Mpbs through spectrum.  I am getting 480 conencting my CAT 6 cable from my PC to the Arris.  Using a CAT 6 cable to the Orbi internet I am getting 480 from within the Orbi QoS test.  When I connect a CAT 6 cable from my PC to the Orbi ethernet I am getting around 100Mpbs when it should be 400+.

If you are asking if I know I shouldn't be getting 1000Mpbs, I know.  I know the physical connection limitations won't be 1000, however, I shouldn't be getting 100 either.  It should easily handle the 400 that I am looking for.  Especially when I am getting up to 380Mbps through the wirelss AC.

Message 7 of 10
silverdawn
Aspirant

Correct, I am getting around 100Mbps through the ethernet ports and using Wireless AC I am getting 380Mbps.  The ethernet ports should be pulling up to 1Gbps.  I am not asking for that, but an external bandwidth test should at least be hitting 400+ when there are no physical restrictions going out which was proven with the other tests.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Do other wired devices exhibit the same problem when wire connected to the router? Try different  wired PC if you have one. 

Ok, yes you should be seeing 480 thru the Orbi's LAN ports. 

When you connecting from the MODEM back to the router, are you clearing DNS and browser cache before restarting a speedtest? 

What browser are you using when you speed testing? Same thing happen with other browsers? 

Swap LAN cables between ISP Modem and router and router and PC as a quick test. 

Have you done a full power OFF of the ISP Modem, Orbi system and PC for 1 minute, then power ON the modem and let it sync, then power ON the Orbi router and let it synce then power ON the PC? 

FYI, the SB 6190 is a modem, not a router. Just to be clear. 

Message 9 of 10
Ulairi
Luminary

Hi,

You might want to check this thread out: link

If reset(s) fix the problem, please post back with the results.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7