Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firewall in AP mode? (related to wifi drops)

steve04KU
Aspirant

Orbi Firewall in AP mode? (related to wifi drops)

I have the RBR50 and an RBS50 satellite. I have become increasingly frustrated by the daily wifi drops...

I use Spectrum as my ISP, and have my Orbi setup in AP mode.

Currently, my modem/router (Technicolor) isn't in bridged mode (I cannot do it without calling Spectrum), however I have wifi off. Last night, I disabled the firewall on the Technicolor and it SEEMS TO HAVE ELIMINATED THE WIFI DROPS.

This may end up being a solution for many of you with drop issues. That being said, if my firewall is disabled on the Technicolor, is my Orbi providing my network with Firewall protection? I cannot find any settings that shows this functioning (or the ability to enable/disable it) on the Orbi.

Thanks and good luck,

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

From what I have seen once set to AP mode all advanced settings like firewall, ect are disabled.

As a access point there would be no need to have a firewall this would be dealt with by the main router.
Message 2 of 3
steve04KU
Aspirant

That is my concern, as I've disabled the firewall on the router to eliminate wifi drops....

Sounds like I need to turn the router firewalls back on for security reasons.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7