Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware 1.8.06 dropping WiFi Calling calls

PhoenixV
Apprentice

Orbi Firmware 1.8.06 dropping WiFi Calling calls

I am having an issue with the latest firmware 1.8.06 dropping WiFi Calling calls made from my cell phone. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? This problem did not happen with the previous version of the firmware. WiFi calling uses the following ports:

UDP 123

UDP 500

UDP 4500

TCP 5060

TCP 5061

Ports 52000-59999 (various)

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That just means your wifi isn't stable and dropping not j ust your calls.  Same issue they have had for 6 months and have yet to fix it.

Message 2 of 15
PhoenixV
Apprentice

Actually my WiFi is stable, it does not drop on any other device. The internet continues to work but it loses the WiFi calling connection only...

Message 3 of 15
tucsontico
Virtuoso

What type of cell phone do you have? Some folks with iPhones are experiencing the drops you refer to. If you do a search for "iPhone dropping WiFi" you'll see threads with potential fixes.

However, this problem appears not to have a "one size fits all" fix. In my case, I had to adjust the location of the satellite to prevent too much overlap in the signals from the base. This adjustment was small–about 8 feet further away from the base. Others have simply turned down the signal strength on their base and satellite. While this may seem counter-intuitive, your WiFi device will try to connect to the strongest signal. If the signals from each of the base and satellite are similar in strentgh the device will end up switching back and forth as the signals vary slightly. This can cause dropouts but not always!

Here's a link to an excellent article detailing why a strong signal is not always good. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 15
PhoenixV
Apprentice

As I mentioned, and I will repeat again, the phone is not losing Wi-Fi, it is simply losing the Wi-Fi calling connection while browsing and all other features remain available
Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Unfortunately unless the wifi connection is 100% stable voip type connections are very sensitive to drops. You may not see it other ways but I can promise you it's the wifi dropping.
Message 6 of 15
PhoenixV
Apprentice

Simply because you had that experience with  Orbi , does not mean that we all have. This is the first issue that I have had, and as I said if you would read what I wrote  closely you will see that I still have Internet connectivity even though the Wi-Fi calling is dropping. There can be other reasons for this happening, but you seem  convinced that in every case of an issue with the Orbi – the result is from the unit dropping Wi-Fi connection. If a Wi-Fi connection is dropped, browsing cannot continue and where there is an interruption in streaming -  however this is not the case. 

If you have something constructive to offer, other than the unit is dropping the Wi-Fi connection or the Internet connection is disconnecting when it clearly is not, then I welcome your response. 

Message 7 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Like I said the connection has to be very stable. I have worked in IT for 25 years and know how voip systems work. You can believe what you want but unless your connect is solid you will have issues. Again you won't notice the drops without using special tools if it's just not showing your bars dropping.
Message 8 of 15
Non-Tech
Initiate

PhoenixV, were your issues resolved? I installed an Orbi router 2 days ago and lost my wifi calling ability.  When I try to turn it on my Galaxy S7 just comes back with a message that says REG99 - Unable to connect.

Otherwise, like you, wifi is working on the phone for internet browser connections.  I spoke with Netgrear support and they blew me off, saying that if wifi worked for internet then it would work for wifi calling.  I pointed out that wifi calling previously worked for me and that the only change in my system was that I had replaced my Nighthawk AC1900 modem/router with a Netgear DM 200 modem and an Orbi router but he denied that the router could be the issue.

I've also talked with Samsung and did some phone resets to try an address the proble, no luck; talked to my ISP CenturyLink, not their issue; and talked to T-Mobile who said it was the ISP (I assume they were thinking I was using a CenturyLink modem/router).

I'm not a tech guy so I'm not sure what my next option is; hoping you found a solution you can share.

Orbi model AC 2200 RBK 43

Netgear DM200 VDSL

Samsung Galaxy S7 android phone

Message 9 of 15
StaticEMI
Guide

I have the same exact issue. My older TP-Link router worked flawlessly. Guess I have to switch back which really sucks.
Message 10 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey everybody, technically you are staying connected to your Wi-Fi network but the actual data connection is briefly briefly dropping constantly. This isn't noticeable for web browsimg or even video streaming but for Wi-Fi calling that requires a solid low latency connection, it will drop. The problem is a hardware issue that Netgear is unwilling to admit to. The backhaul connection from the router is dropping constantly every few seconds. You can easily see this for yourself if you watch your network using Wi-Fi analyzer or Netgear Wi-Fi analytics app. This thread has more info. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-backhall-signal-dropping-to-Zero/td-p/1276320

I am confident this is the problem and if you check for yourself it will be eye opening what you see.
Message 11 of 15
Mamacom
Aspirant

Check your settings ..

Go to Advanced ..

WAN setup..

Last line NAT filtering

Switch it from Secured to Open !

Message 12 of 15
n8soup
Aspirant

I am having the same issues. I also have tried to make calls at times and it just rings once and says call dropped.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 13 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello N8soup

What firmware version are you on?

DarrenM

Message 14 of 15
kuan815
Aspirant

Hello N8soup

Is this problem hapeen when you calling via 4G too? I mean if problem still happen when you use different way to make calling, maybe is call app's problem

thanks

Message 15 of 14

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7