Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60

MikeG63
Apprentice

No, I've not had any reason to do so.

Message 26 of 249
Dd852
Luminary

Ah fine - yeah the update runs well for me too; I was referring to the comment above about looking into the guts of the backhaul through telnet. 

Message 27 of 249
jsturess
Apprentice

mine is still dropping wifi, ive got a new one today from netgear and i have one spare (3 in total), all of them have the same problem with dropping wifi. So tiered of this!

Message 28 of 249
NewAccount
Guide

The new firmare V2.3.1.60 made my router incredibly slow. And the devices that disconnect from it began disconnecting after 30 minutes. So I said before and I say now. This hardware is junk and I can't wait for me Eero to arrive so I can replace the Orbi and return it to Costco.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 29 of 249
MikeG63
Apprentice

I have to say that's incredibly vitriolic.  My Orbi RBK53 has been rock solid since I got is some 2 months ago, as has my brother's which he installed in his house last year.  Thus far I have been incredibly pleased with my purchase which has improved the reach of my broadband throughout my house and garden.  Yes there are issues, many with compatibility, but that's generic and endemic to the hardware and software industry.  Netgear don't talk to Ring when they decide to make mesh network solutions for example!

Everyone's setup  and configuration is different, and many of the issues are not simply hardware related, there are many environmental and third party dependncies that can have a significant impact on individual experiences.

I have worked in the IT industry since 1983 and in my very humble opinion along with my very considerable experience I have learnt that one needs to take into account all the many external factors, do your homework and don't expect the 'moon on a stick'!  To simply state the hardware is junk is unfair as for many it is just not true.

I am not defending Netgear persay, I happen to think that their after sales care and customer support leaves a lot to be desired and has considerable room for improvement.  Without undestanding what changes this firmware release incorporated, what devices you have, who your service provider is etc. etc. it's very hard to diagnose what the root cause of your particular problem could be.

Message 30 of 249
NewAccount
Guide

This may sound vitriolic and I apologize if this offends some people. But I've had this setup for over 1 year now and I already replaced my RBK53 set once (it was great I got it from Costco). I've multiple problems, including but not limited to incompatibility problems, so I disagree them being generic. Here is my problems list. Some of the issues are fixed by one hardware update, then broken by another:

1) The entire network hangs for no visible reason. Was able to resolve it to a degree by disconnecting one satellite. My house is not huge so 2 satellite pretty much cover it except for the farest ends of the house.

2) My Nest Hello disconnects from Wifi all the time. Had it replaced by warranty and the replacement Hello is doing exactly the same (disconnects 1 hour after being connected)

3) My Neato robotic vacuum disconnects all the time for no visible reason. I had it replaced twice. All replacements are doing exactly the same thing (approx. every other day).

4) I run HP Tablet in Picture Frame mode. It also disconnects from Wi-Fi all the time so I have to reboot it (~daily)

5) My Nordic track treadmill disconnects all the time (~weekly)

6) My Nvidia Shield devices connected over Wifi also disconnect (~weekly)

On the top of this, the network seem to disappear and come back for no visible reason. And approximately once a week I have to reboot the router to reconnect to my Comcast Modem (SB6141).

As such I find the RBK53 and by extension the entire Orbi line completely unreliable. I am really happy @MikeG63 that your setup runs flawlessly. Mine does not, hence is my rant. Oh, and I work in IS since I came to the States in 1994 so I think I know what I am talking about.

Message 31 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@NewAccount 

Hello.  Have you ever tried doing a factory reset of the hardware to see if it makes a difference?

Message 32 of 249
MikeG63
Apprentice

Hmmmmm, I rest my case, it seems your issues are all related to compatibility issues rather than Netgear h/w being 'junk'.  The problem is mostly down to 'standards' accross the industry.

For example, my Ring camera and doorbell battery devices suffered issues when I first set my Orbi mesh network up.  Thisi was resolved by adding another Ring Chime Pro to the Ring network so I had one near each battery device.  My Nest battery home protect smoke / CO2 alarms didn't work initially and kept loosing their connection.  After some 'googling' I found someone who had solved the problem by resetting each Nest alarm back to their default factory settings and then reconfiguring them to the new n/w.  Since then they have not disconnected again.  My Canary camera occaisionaly disconnects, but will re-connect a short time later so no biggy there.  As to all my other devices (Amazon, Hue, Sky, heating thermostats), and I currently have 32, they all seem to be coping fine.

I assume you've tried reserving their IP addresses?

Finally, I took my service providers (BT) router / modem out of the equation and connected my Orbi router directly to their modem.

Message 33 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

As suggested, has a Factory reset been performed since last FW update and setup from scratch? 

@NewAccount wrote:

This may sound vitriolic and I apologize if this offends some people. But I've had this setup for over 1 year now and I already replaced my RBK53 set once (it was great I got it from Costco). I've multiple problems, including but not limited to incompatibility problems, so I disagree them being generic. Here is my problems list. Some of the issues are fixed by one hardware update, then broken by another:

1) The entire network hangs for no visible reason. Was able to resolve it to a degree by disconnecting one satellite. My house is not huge so 2 satellite pretty much cover it except for the farest ends of the house.

2) My Nest Hello disconnects from Wifi all the time. Had it replaced by warranty and the replacement Hello is doing exactly the same (disconnects 1 hour after being connected)

3) My Neato robotic vacuum disconnects all the time for no visible reason. I had it replaced twice. All replacements are doing exactly the same thing (approx. every other day).

4) I run HP Tablet in Picture Frame mode. It also disconnects from Wi-Fi all the time so I have to reboot it (~daily)

5) My Nordic track treadmill disconnects all the time (~weekly)

6) My Nvidia Shield devices connected over Wifi also disconnect (~weekly)

On the top of this, the network seem to disappear and come back for no visible reason. And approximately once a week I have to reboot the router to reconnect to my Comcast Modem (SB6141).

As such I find the RBK53 and by extension the entire Orbi line completely unreliable. I am really happy @MikeG63 that your setup runs flawlessly. Mine does not, hence is my rant. Oh, and I work in IS since I came to the States in 1994 so I think I know what I am talking about.

Message 34 of 249
NewAccount
Guide

I use my own Motorola SB6141 modem, so it is not provider-specific. Orbi is connected directly to the modem so there is nothing in between which may affect the connectivity. I reset my Nest camera weekly, basically going through the setup steps from the beginning. It stays connected for about 30-60 minutes then disconnects, both before and after the replacement. Also I placed a satellite within 6ft from the Hello to ensure a good signal. The robot vacuum connects and reconnects on its' own, but once the connection is lost, it loses the stored maps, so I need to restart it couple of times before it finds the settings. The network hang ups - I read about it online and did everything recommended (played with the settings in Advanced set up). The issue stays. I believe one firmware release fixed it then the next one broke it immediately.

After todays firmware upgrade the network is extremely slow; my HP Tablet has disconnected almost immediately, so did the Nest Hello.

I tried to address this with Netgear tech support and the only advise from them is "wait for a new firmware"

Message 35 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@MikeG63 wrote:

Hmmmmm, I rest my case, it seems your issues are all related to compatibility issues rather than Netgear h/w being 'junk'.  The problem is mostly down to 'standards' accross the industry.

For example, my Ring camera and doorbell battery devices suffered issues when I first set my Orbi mesh network up.  Thisi was resolved by adding another Ring Chime Pro to the Ring network so I had one near each battery device.  My Nest battery home protect smoke / CO2 alarms didn't work initially and kept loosing their connection.  After some 'googling' I found someone who had solved the problem by resetting each Nest alarm back to their default factory settings and then reconfiguring them to the new n/w.  Since then they have not disconnected again.  My Canary camera occaisionaly disconnects, but will re-connect a short time later so no biggy there.  As to all my other devices (Amazon, Hue, Sky, heating thermostats), and I currently have 32, they all seem to be coping fine.

I assume you've tried reserving their IP addresses?

Finally, I took my service providers (BT) router / modem out of the equation and connected my Orbi router directly to their modem.

It is a good idea to simplify the network whenever possible.  Dropouts and disconnects should not be happening and when those symptoms start appearing, taking steps like address reservation shouldn't be needed just to try and cure said symtpoms.  It's why the suggestion to reset is oftentimes given, and almot always helps.

Message 36 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@NewAccount wrote:

I use my own Motorola SB6141 modem, so it is not provider-specific. Orbi is connected directly to the modem so there is nothing in between which may affect the connectivity. I reset my Nest camera weekly, basically going through the setup steps from the beginning. It stays connected for , both before and after replacement. Also I placed a satellite within 6ft from the Hello to ensure a good signal. The robot vacuum connects and reconnects on its' own, but once the connection is lost, it loses the stored maps, so I need to restart it couple of times before it finds the settings. The network hang ups - I read about it online and did everything recommended (played with the settings in Advanced set up). The issue stays. I believe one firmware release fixed it then the next one broke it immediately.

After todays firmware upgrade the network is extremely slow; my HP Tablet has disconnected almost immediately, so did the Nest Hello.

I tried to address this with Netgear tech support and the only advise from them is "wait for a new firmware"

Given this statement, perhaps something is being missed.  There is a way to fully reset the RBK53 system.  Are you familiar with it and have you tried it already?

Message 37 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@NewAccount wrote:

I use my own Motorola SB6141 modem, so it is not provider-specific. Orbi is connected directly to the modem so there is nothing in between which may affect the connectivity. I reset my Nest camera weekly, basically going through the setup steps from the beginning. It stays connected for , both before and after replacement. Also I placed a satellite within 6ft from the Hello to ensure a good signal. The robot vacuum connects and reconnects on its' own, but once the connection is lost, it loses the stored maps, so I need to restart it couple of times before it finds the settings. The network hang ups - I read about it online and did everything recommended (played with the settings in Advanced set up). The issue stays. I believe one firmware release fixed it then the next one broke it immediately.

Message 38 of 249
NewAccount
Guide

Reset to factory settings at least twice in the lifetime of the device. Not after this firmware upgrade though.

My current settings from Advanced Wifi settings page (and they are being like this for a while):

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology - Off
Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Off
Enable MU-MIMO - Off
Enable Fast Roaming 0 Off

Message 39 of 249
jsturess
Apprentice

In my case with dropping wifi/devices all the time. I have tried to disconnect all satellites, changed the SSID so no devices was connected by wifi, my devices where only connected via cable, the wifi where still dropping from the router, both 2.4 and 5. I have now tried two another routers, same problem on all of them and i have tried all above suggestions, no one helps. I have had problem since day one, different problem in each firmware update.

Message 40 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have tried other routers and they exhibit the same issue, then your wifi environment and surroundings needs to be looked in to. 

What other wifi devices do you have that may be broadcasing wifi? 

@jsturess wrote:

In my case with dropping wifi/devices all the time. I have tried to disconnect all satellites, changed the SSID so no devices was connected by wifi, my devices where only connected via cable, the wifi where still dropping from the router, both 2.4 and 5. I have now tried two another routers, same problem on all of them and i have tried all above suggestions, no one helps. I have had problem since day one, different problem in each firmware update.

Message 41 of 249
NewAccount
Guide

Before switching to Orbi I had Linksys LRT214 router with Netgear AC1900/R7000  in AP mode this combo was working fine but the signal upstairs was not great, hence swtiching to Orbi.

Here is some answers for the questions asked before:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft: 1500sq ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? both under 30ft. The router is in the basement (this is where the Cable enters the house so not many options here)
What channels are you using? Auto?
2.4GHz on Auto (as per recommendation from both Neato and Nest)
5GHz - 40 (switched from 36 ~1 week ago)
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? There are 2 houses both with Wifi within 100ft from mine.
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]
Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings: Enabled
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): 2341
Preamble Mode: Long Preamble
Transmit Power Control: 100%
Enable Daisy-Chain Topology: Off
Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING: Off
Enable MU-MIMO: Off
Enable Fast Roaming: Off

Also I reserved IP addresses for Home Server, Nest Hello, Ecobee Thermostat and Nvidia Shield.

Message 42 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Beamforming should be enabled. MIMO can be if you have MIMO supporting devices.

Basements are not good places for the Base router to be. Main floor is recommended. 

If under 30 feet in between, this maybe too close. Try 30 feet or beyond if possible. 

Find out what channels your neighbors are using and manually set a manual channel farthest from your neighbors. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. If the NEST and other devices won't connect after setting manual channel, set back to Auto. Change the power output of the RBR from 100% to 75% or 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@NewAccount wrote:

Reset to factory settings at least twice in the lifetime of the device. Not after this firmware upgrade though.

My current settings from Advanced Wifi settings page (and they are being like this for a while):

Enable MU-MIMO - Off

Message 43 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@NewAccount wrote:

Enable MU-MIMO - Off

Okay, great.  My $0.02.  Run with all 3 advanced wireless settings on. 

But given you haven't done a factory reset recently, and the firmware has been churning a lot lately, I'd do it for safe measure.  After the system comes up enable the 3 settings.

When I do this myself, I use the hardware method to reset, and I make sure all devices are either disconnected and off the network.

Message 44 of 249
jsturess
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you have tried other routers and they exhibit the same issue, then your wifi environment and surroundings needs to be looked in to. 

What other wifi devices do you have that may be broadcasing wifi? 

@jsturess wrote:

First picture show all wifi network in the house and nearby. Other sending wifi is Netgear arlo pro 2 with 9 cameras, in this picture they both uses channel 1, but i have the same problem when they are on different channels. The second pictures shows the drops from rotuer and three satellites. I also have lot of Philips hue lights and the hue hub is about 5 feet from the router and i also have lot of zwave plus devices and the samsung smartthings v2 hub is also about 5 feet from the router. Could it be one of those that makes/interferes the wifi to drop? 

wifi.JPGNewRouter_3Satellites.JPG

Message 45 of 249
jsturess
Apprentice

I turned off the netgear arlo, philips hue and the smartthings hub. but it didnt help, still dropping wifiwifi.JPG

Message 46 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dd852 wrote:

are you using terminal or another telnet client?

I don't have any issue either.  I'm also using telnet, which I compiled and installed locally because Apple had removed it.  If you don't have telnet, you can head over here to download Inetutils from GNU Operating System.

Message 47 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Which SSID names are yours and your neighbors? 

9 cameras. Wow. 

@jsturess wrote:

I turned off the netgear arlo, philips hue and the smartthings hub. but it didnt help, still dropping wifiwifi.JPG

Message 48 of 249
jsturess
Apprentice

I
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Which SSID names are yours and your neighbors? 

9 cameras. Wow. 

@jsturess wrote:

Its only one, the one last in the list, IoTSweden

Message 49 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dd852 wrote:

Ah fine - yeah the update runs well for me too; I was referring to the comment above about looking into the guts of the backhaul through telnet. 

It helps me eliminating the guess work.  It enables me to fine tune my Satellite placement to get the best possible backhaul signal.  For exmaple, I've since been able to improve one of my Satellite Signal from -68dBm to -60dBm and LinkSpeed from 780M to 1170M.

Now I know backhaul signal is stable and more importantly meeting the requirements for my apps.  Also, I don't have to guess what color it is or having to stand next to each Satellite to find out after each firmware upgrade.  Another benefit is that I can also check out Orbi/Satellite Fronthaul signals to my clients to see which client is connecting at 20Mhz vs 40Mhz vs 80Mhz.

I don't like guess work.  🙂

Message 50 of 249
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7