Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Joboo7777 wrote:

I think issues people may be having go beyond the advance settings. I would suggest also including the following non default settings:

Are you running Armor?

Are you running guest network?

Are you running separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5?

Are you running Disney Circle?

Do you set wifi channels manually?

Basically need to capture every setting that is outside the default. Which for some could be quite a few. Regardless of what it is or how insignificant you may think it is, it's important to capture these to identifty a pattern. 

Then there are environment variables that are alittle harder to capture. How many wireless networks are you competing with in your neighborhood, etc.

Yes, that's a good point.

Assuming Backhaul link/signal between Orbi Router/Satellite is rock solid, the one Wireless setting, which is most interesting to me is "Preamble Mode".  By default it is set to Auto.  That one setting has a significant impact on Wireless clients.  Auto might not be the best choice if I have a mixed of clients or weak signal to one of the clients.  A safe choice to start with is Long.  Use a tool like NetSpot to monitor WiFi network.  If all is well and there's no drops, only then I would try setting it to Short.  I would be very careful with Short because it can wreak havoc on my WiFi network due to packet retransmissions if one of my clients isn't compatible or has a problem with its WiFi signal.

So you are right, gathering more settings/data is better.  It might not help in all cases, but it certainly won't hurt.

Message 76 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote:

Maybe there isn't one. They don't always go side by side, especially for satellites.

Satellites pull their Wireless Settings from the main Router.  If there's a misconfigured Wireless setting or any setting for that matter, it will affect all Satellites.  Otherwise, common wireless issue is often traced back to the main Router settings unless there's an issue like hardware failure specific that one Satellite, stale configs were still stuck in NVRAM, which requires reset to clear, or weak Backhaul between Satellites/Router.

I would be very interest in any special config that's only configurable via Satellite.  That would be nice to know as well.  🙂

Message 77 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@MikeG63 wrote:

A couple of question if I may

1. Does re-booting the router also re-boot the satellites?
  2. Also is there a way to re-boot individual satellites?

Thanks

1. No.

2. Yes, need to enable telnet, then telnet into each Satellite/Router and type "reboot"

Check out this link for telnet and related info.

Message 78 of 249

@SW_ wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Maybe there isn't one. They don't always go side by side, especially for satellites.

Satellites pull their Wireless Settings from the main Router.  If there's a misconfigured Wireless setting or any setting for that matter, it will affect all Satellites.  Otherwise, common wireless issue is often traced back to the main Router settings unless there's an issue like hardware failure specific that one Satellite, stale configs were still stuck in NVRAM, which requires reset to clear, or weak Backhaul between Satellites/Router.

I would be very interest in any special config that's only configurable via Satellite.  That would be nice to know as well.  🙂

Not quite sure what you are looking for here, but the RBS50Y Outdoor Satellite and RBS40V Voice are two satellites that do wonky things.

The Outdoor Satellite certainly has wifi controls that are unique to its interface. The indoor/outdoor thing is something to do with the law.

As yet, no 2.3.1.60 on the RBR40.

Message 79 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Not quite sure what you are looking for here, but the RBS50Y Outdoor Satellite and RBS40V Voice are two satellites that do wonky things.

The Outdoor Satellite certainly has wifi controls that are unique to its interface. The indoor/outdoor thing is something to do with the law.

As yet, no 2.3.1.60 on the RBR40.

I don't have those kits and can't really speak to them and I'm certainly not advocating against the law.  However, I would be very interest in those Wireless Settings if available.  From this Forum/users, some with basic Orbi package, like RBK53, have wireless drop/connectivity problem.  Those are the basic setup, which I was referring to in my earlier posts.  If we could solve simple/basic setup, it would be a good start.

Message 80 of 249
jweise
Apprentice

• Tried going to long preamble mode and the result was that my internet speed was cut ion half!
Message 81 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jweise wrote:
  • Tried going to long preamble mode and the result was that my internet speed was cut ion half!

Did you have WiFi drop before/after as a result of this test?

WiFi speed drop is expected with Long because there's more overhead to transmit, which is the reason for Short.  It's a trade off between performance and reliability.  GIven you have WiFi speed lost, have you disabled 2.4Ghz co-existent?

Message 82 of 249
Jorimopi
Aspirant

Regarding "suffering from WiFi drops with 2.3.1.60", I had between 3-4 drops/day, so I have been in Kamikaze mode upgrading to the latest firmware to improve stability and Wi-Fi speed connections. I was finally lucky to fix my issues with the following:

• Get rid of my NBN service provider router (Optus in Australia) and connect Orbi RBR50 directly to the NBN box.
  • Upgrade to 2.3.1.60
  • Activate MiMo support at advance setting (is set off by default); I have 32 devices connected to my network so this was relevant for me.
  • Disable Disney Circle parental control and leave default Netgear control.
  • Scan channels saturation (2.4 & 5.0 GHZ) on my phone and manually set it on available empty channels. My neighbours and I were using same channels in auto mode.
  • Reboot Orbi.

I hope this helps. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 83 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Jorimopi , congrat and thanks!

Just to confirm my understanding, Disney Circle was enabled prior to this fix?

Message 84 of 249
Joboo7777
Apprentice

For me, its easy. I run 3 non-default settings in my setup:

1) Enabled Implicit Beamforming

2) Enabled MU-MIMO

3) Use Open DNS servers instead of automatically getting from my ISP.

Thats it. With this setup I've been rock solid on every firmware version since I purchased the system 2 months ago.

Message 85 of 249
Joostvanderpost
Aspirant

Updated to 2.3.1.60 with RBR50 en RBS50 but connection with internet was lost after approx 30 minutes. Tried Total reset twice without result, also within 30 minutes lost connection.
Downgraded to 2.3.1.44 and now it is more stable but when connecting to the WiFi with my phone sometimes the connection with internet is failing as well.
Never experienced problems with the Orbi but this is frustrating!!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 86 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

“Total reset” is same as factory reset? For example, using paper clip in the back of the devices?
Message 87 of 249
Joostvanderpost
Aspirant

Correct, did a factory reset twice... Didn't solve the problem so downgraded tot 2.3.1.44 and thought the problem was over but now I have internet from time to time but a lot of downtime... Wifi is working, but a lot of internet downtime, and cannot connet with the orbi app (see screenshot).... Hopefully netgear can help....

Message 88 of 249
Joostvanderpost
Aspirant

Looks like it is only a wifi problem, have two lan cables inserted (p1 reader and synology NAS) and they have an internet connection... The wifi does not have an internet connection and I cannot go to the settings orbi app and orbilogon.com....

Message 89 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Did you power cycle the ISP modem off for 30 seconds then back on after you reset the Orbi? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try the above settings after updateing to v60 and doing a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

@Joostvanderpost wrote:
Updated to 2.3.1.60 with RBR50 en RBS50 but connection with internet was lost after approx 30 minutes. Tried Total reset twice without result, also within 30 minutes lost connection.
Downgraded to 2.3.1.44 and now it is more stable but when connecting to the WiFi with my phone sometimes the connection with internet is failing as well.
Never experienced problems with the Orbi but this is frustrating!!

Message 90 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

We believe NG disabled AutoUpdate at v32/v44 and beyond. However the system still queries NG update servers and lets users know if there is a FW update available. So from now on, users can pick if and when they want to update Orbi FW thru the FW update feature on the RBR. 

@Joboo7777 wrote:
Has anyone received .60 through the auto update process? I’m on .44 and have not received .48 and now .60 through auto updates.

Message 91 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Both the app and web UI make the user aware of an available update. On the latter, I see a message indicating firmware downloading and eventually shows v60 ready to be applied. Once shy, twice bitten. I was force marched to v44 after which I decided to apply the manual block.
Today I spotted a change to my router setting disabling IGMP Proxy. I know I didn’t and wouldn’t have done it, so something touched it. Getting difficult to trust anything. I’d like to see a written policy on update handling. Cheers
Message 92 of 249
Pedro_mustard
Aspirant

Both my RBR50 and RBS50 want to download the latest firmware and have never been able to and TBH it's quite annoying.

Message 93 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Can you select the RBS first to update? 

What browser are you using? 

@Pedro_mustard wrote:

Both my RBR50 and RBS50 want to download the latest firmware and have never been able to and TBH it's quite annoying.

Message 94 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

If I saw something not working that's supposed to work, it would probably lead me down a road that some here refer to as the "nuclear option", which is to grab a paperclip and perform a full factory reset. The problem is unlikely to fix itself, unless of course the servers are temporarily unavailable. However, I just checked and I do see v60 is offered on the Firmware Update page.
Message 95 of 249
swall101
Aspirant

Really don’t know what all the drama is. I logged into the app, it said update available, downloaded and installed firmware, Orbi works just as awesome as it always has. Bravo Netgear....

Message 96 of 249
MikeG63
Apprentice

Well said - I couldn’t agree more 👍
Message 97 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets see what version of FW is loaded first. He may be on a old version which may not work for him until he gets it more up to date or there is a NG service issue or possible ISP modem issue. Lets find out first what he's got going currently. 

Message 98 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@swall101 wrote:

Really don’t know what all the drama is. I logged into the app, it said update available, downloaded and installed firmware, Orbi works just as awesome as it always has. Bravo Netgear....

You're just not reading enough to find the drama in the forum.  😛

Message 99 of 249
Pedro_mustard
Aspirant

2.3.1.48 is the version on both RBR50 and RBS50

Message 100 of 249
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7