Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60

FURRYe38
Guru

Should be good to update to v60. Unless there is a NG service issue. 

Did you update to v48 using same process before? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Can you select the RBS first to update? 

What browser are you using?

@Pedro_mustard wrote:

2.3.1.48 is the version on both RBR50 and RBS50

Message 101 of 249
swall101
Aspirant

Screenshot attached...... latest firmware and works perfectly on both router and satellite.24355BBC-3A2F-447D-8D45-AA196A934AFC.png

Message 102 of 249
Pedro_mustard
Aspirant

to get to 2.3.1.48 I had to email the CEO of Netgear otherwise I would not get support then I got a call from netgear technical and they had to download from the website and put on both devices but as of yet 60 is not listed yet.

Message 103 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What browser are you using?

@Pedro_mustard wrote:

to get to 2.3.1.48 I had to email the CEO of Netgear otherwise I would not get support then I got a call from netgear technical and they had to download from the website and put on both devices but as of yet 60 is not listed yet.

Message 104 of 249
Pedro_mustard
Aspirant

I use my own router with the setup I have it's a BiPAC 8800NL latest firmware, no I never was sent an ISP router and it's not a router fault.

Message 105 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem has built in router and wifi already:

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8800NL.htm

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. If a upstream router is between the modem and Orbi, then try removing the middle router and connect the Orbi directly to the ISP Modem.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modem or up stream routers DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem or up stream router and connect the Orbi router to the modem or router, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Has a factory reset been performed then setup from scratch and while walking thru the setup wizard, let the system check for a FW update and apply it there? 

@Pedro_mustard wrote:

I use my own router with the setup I have it's a BiPAC 8800NL latest firmware, no I never was sent an ISP router and it's not a router fault.

Message 106 of 249
Joostvanderpost
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, the modem is a ZTE H369A, did reset the modem after doing the factory reset of the Orbi...

The Orbi is already 2 years in our home and never experienced problems, also the locations did not change...

I have now downgraded the firmware to V2.2.1.212 hoping that version is working stable.... Are there any big changes in the newer firmwares that I need to have?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 107 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in. Your modem has a router built in already. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Did you upgrade to v60 and continue to use the system or was a factory reset performed and setup from scratch after v60 was applied? 

@Joostvanderpost wrote:

Thanks for your reply, the modem is a ZTE H369A, did reset the modem after doing the factory reset of the Orbi...

The Orbi is already 2 years in our home and never experienced problems, also the locations did not change...

I have now downgraded the firmware to V2.2.1.212 hoping that version is working stable.... Are there any big changes in the newer firmwares that I need to have?

Message 108 of 249
Joostvanderpost
Aspirant

I did a factory reset twice after updating to V60 because internet was not working

Read the ZTE cannot be set to bridge mode. Have the NG Orbi always in AP mode. Should work isn't it?

Message 109 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have the wireless disabled on the ZTE? 

After updating the Orbi to v60, should work well. Others have had good success with v60. Possible some tweeking maybe needed. When you reset did you setup from scratch or load a saved config from file from prior FW version save? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Joostvanderpost wrote:

I did a factory reset twice after updating to V60 because internet was not working

Read the ZTE cannot be set to bridge mode. Have the NG Orbi always in AP mode. Should work isn't it?

Message 110 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

It should, yes. The recommendation above your last post suggested disabling wifi on the host router. The host router would still have its DHCP server running to handle address assignments to your devices connected to the Orbi.
Also worth noting that in some Fiber installations, ISP routers can be bypassed and have the Orbi connected directly to the ONT. This would allow the Orbi to run in its native router mode.
Message 111 of 249
tagteam
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

We believe NG disabled AutoUpdate at v32/v44 and beyond. However the system still queries NG update servers and lets users know if there is a FW update available. So from now on, users can pick if and when they want to update Orbi FW thru the FW update feature on the RBR. 

Yes...........much, much better. I noted that 2.3.1.60 just sat there doing nothing every time I checked. I had to click Update All before the new version was applied which is absolutely ideal - finally!

Message 112 of 249
Joostvanderpost
Aspirant

I am tired now of trying so leaving 2.2.1.112 on it for now... hoping it is stable... mayby another day I will try again with your advice. Thanks

Message 113 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Joostvanderpost wrote:

I am tired now of trying so leaving 2.2.1.112 on it for now... hoping it is stable... mayby another day I will try again with your advice. Thanks

That's good if it works and the RBK50 doesn't autoupdate itself.  Did you use the manual method of disabling auto update?

Message 114 of 249

@gr8sho wrote:
The recommendation above your last post suggested disabling wifi on the host router.

Not essential.

I don't. But I have different SSIDs on Orbis and router and I am careful about pointing wifi clients at the right SSID.

Message 115 of 249
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

The firmware 2.3.1.60 has the following changes :

Fixes the issue where the time zone can't sync with the satellite
Fixes issues with the guest network control using Alexa 
Includes security fixes

Message 116 of 249
JMU1998
Luminary

After updating to. 60 now my sattalite shows up as connected as a 5g eventhough it has an Ethernet cable plugged in connected to my network.  Did factory reset on both sattalite and main unit running in AP mode.  Anyone else seeing the sattalite showing as 5g instead of wired for those using wired backhaul and did latest update? 

Message 117 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you first add the RBS to the RBR via wiress first, then connect the RBS via LAN cable to the RBR? Need to wait about 5 minutes before the BLUE led comes up. Be sure Daisy Chain is disabled before starting the setup process. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Message 118 of 249
JMU1998
Luminary

Yes added the RBS to the RBR main unit via wireless and it connected Daisy Chain is off the switch is a Netgear R8000 switch and when I connect to ethernet RBR shows the RBS connected as 5g instead of wired.

Message 119 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you remove the R8000 from the mix and directly connect the satellite to the RBR? 

Is the R8000 configured for LAN to LAN AP mode with it's wireless disabled? 

@JMU1998 wrote:

Yes added the RBS to the RBR main unit via wireless and it connected Daisy Chain is off the switch is a Netgear R8000 switch and when I connect to ethernet RBR shows the RBS connected as 5g instead of wired.

Message 120 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward wrote:

Not essential.

I don't. But I have different SSIDs on Orbis and router and I am careful about pointing wifi clients at the right SSID.

Are you able to control channels to avoid overlap/conflict?  Most would not know how to do this and if they left all the radios active and things were acting strangely, would make troubleshooting more complex.

I do enjoy the benefits of single wireless network and assumed most owners would use the Orbi to be their sole wireless system.

Message 121 of 249

Just updated my system to Firmware 2.3.1.60 and everything worked just fine.

No hickups during upgrade or something like that.

Backhaul status is showing status "good" and everything looking good so far.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 122 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward wrote:

Maybe there isn't one. They don't always go side by side, especially for satellites.

Although most have probably figured this out by now, the RBS50 does indeed have a .60 update.  Cheers.

Message 123 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Christian_W wrote:

Just updated my system to Firmware 2.3.1.60 and everything worked just fine.

No hickups during upgrade or something like that.

Backhaul status is showing status "good" and everything looking good so far.

Message 124 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

For everyones knowledge. NG has now posted the v60 FW update files for manual download. This is for the 50 series Orbi systems. RBR and RBS only. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 125 of 249
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7