Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60

DEJW
Aspirant

I have been trying to get this thing stable again after the upgrade.

Done all the factory resets and both satellites and the router have the correct version.

Vanilla set up other than uPnP disabled and 20/40 co-existence for 2.4G disabled

Can't get either of my 2 satellites to sync now 

Main router works mostly buts drops both wired and wireless from time to time.

I am not an expert on networking, but have been able to get things working following advice in this forum. .44 seemed to be stable and working well for a couple of months so I left it alone.

Are there any other settings I should try on .60 or just go back?

The one thing I do notice is that when things work with the satellites and with devices connected they seem to have IP addresses in the 10.0.0.2-254 range.

On my attached devices page anything with a 192.168.1.100-200 range doesn't seem to work. I know on my iphone when it connects but doesn't have internet connectivity it always has a 192 IP address, if I renew lease it tries to give it a 10.0.0 range that sometimes sticks and sometimes doesn't. When it sticks it works.

Is there something obvious causing this or should I just go back to v.44?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 176 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 10.0.0.2-254 would mean that you have router infront of the Orbi RBR. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
How do you have the RBS placed? Star formation or linear line out from the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I recommend enabled uPnP as well. 

@DEJW wrote:

I have been trying to get this thing stable again after the upgrade.

Done all the factory resets and both satellites and the router have the correct version.

Vanilla set up other than uPnP disabled and 20/40 co-existence for 2.4G disabled

Can't get either of my 2 satellites to sync now 

Main router works mostly buts drops both wired and wireless from time to time.

I am not an expert on networking, but have been able to get things working following advice in this forum. .44 seemed to be stable and working well for a couple of months so I left it alone.

Are there any other settings I should try on .60 or just go back?

The one thing I do notice is that when things work with the satellites and with devices connected they seem to have IP addresses in the 10.0.0.2-254 range.

On my attached devices page anything with a 192.168.1.100-200 range doesn't seem to work. I know on my iphone when it connects but doesn't have internet connectivity it always has a 192 IP address, if I renew lease it tries to give it a 10.0.0 range that sometimes sticks and sometimes doesn't. When it sticks it works.

Thanks

Message 177 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@DEJW wrote:

Thanks

Hello.  You'll likely get a better answer if can share a little more info such as who the ISP is and the make and model of the modem or gateway in front of the Orbi.

As @FURRYe38 stated, there is a router sitting in front of the Orbi that's already using the 192.168..1.x, so Orbi is smart enough to sense this and adjust itself to use 10.0.0.x subnet to avoid conflict.  Login to the Orbi using a web browser.  If you haven't completed the setup there, it will give you a notice of the adjustment and all connected devices should be on the 10.0.0.x subnet. 

The other thing I've needed to with all of these firnware updates is start over from scratch with a factory reset.  It's the only way I've been able to get a stable and reliable home network.

Message 178 of 249
DEJW
Aspirant

Modem is Netgear CM500V (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0

ISP is Comcast

I switched to the Netgear modem without WiFi to try and avoid that problem.

It was all working fine with v.44 for a couple of months and I called Comcast at that time to set it correctly so I believe the Modem is set up correctly and I haven't changed anything.

The other thing I have read is to turn of all appliances of the network and then bring it up fresh and add them all again one by one. I am wondering if there are some appliances that haven't been off in a long while and still have old IPs (and maybe have never worked). Would an old IP from a long while ago cause confusion to the orbi?

Home is about 6,000 sq ft on 3 levels and I have the orbi in router mode on the 1st floor in the center of the house and a satellite on the 2nd floor and one in the basement. I run a single wired PC off the router. Basement satellite is probably 15 ft away with a wired Apple TV. 2nd floor one is probably 40ft away with no wired connections

I'll try the "clean" restart and reset this afternoon
Message 179 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

I would move the "Basement satellite is probably 15 ft away with a wired Apple TV." to a farther distance. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled for your configuration? 

@DEJW wrote:

Modem is Netgear CM500V (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0

ISP is Comcast

I switched to the Netgear modem without WiFi to try and avoid that problem.

It was all working fine with v.44 for a couple of months and I called Comcast at that time to set it correctly so I believe the Modem is set up correctly and I haven't changed anything.

The other thing I have read is to turn of all appliances of the network and then bring it up fresh and add them all again one by one. I am wondering if there are some appliances that haven't been off in a long while and still have old IPs (and maybe have never worked). Would an old IP from a long while ago cause confusion to the orbi?

Home is about 6,000 sq ft on 3 levels and I have the orbi in router mode on the 1st floor in the center of the house and a satellite on the 2nd floor and one in the basement. I run a single wired PC off the router. Basement satellite is probably 15 ft away with a wired Apple TV. 2nd floor one is probably 40ft away with no wired connections

I'll try the "clean" restart and reset this afternoon

Message 180 of 249
DEJW
Aspirant

I'll move it further.

Daisy chain is enabled

trying me clean restart now

Message 181 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Try Daisy chain disabled as well...

@DEJW wrote:

I'll move it further.

Daisy chain is enabled

trying me clean restart now

Message 182 of 249
DEJW
Aspirant

Looks like it is coming up fine
Have not disabled Daisy Chain yet.
One more question. For fixed location devices like desktops, the satellites themselves, cameras and garage openers should I reserve the initial IP address they get?
Message 183 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can. 

Message 184 of 249
DEJW
Aspirant

It’s been a couple of days now and everything seems to be operating well with no noticeable drops. Bringing up from scratch got rid of all my old IP addresses and all now have an address in the 10.0.0.x range. I have not reserved any of them and will probably leave for now to see if I need to. I would prefer to keep as vanilla as possible. I kept daisy chain enabled and did enable uPnP. The only thing not checked it the 20/40 coexistence.
Thanks for the advice guys
Message 185 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting that it configured a 10. LAN address. Possible it dectected the modem using same 192.168.1.1 string maybe. 

At any rate, let it run and see how it goes.

You can setup IP reservations if needed. 

I would make a backup configuration to file so you have this for any future needs. Helps save time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@DEJW wrote:
It’s been a couple of days now and everything seems to be operating well with no noticeable drops. Bringing up from scratch got rid of all my old IP addresses and all now have an address in the 10.0.0.x range. I have not reserved any of them and will probably leave for now to see if I need to. I would prefer to keep as vanilla as possible. I kept daisy chain enabled and did enable uPnP. The only thing not checked it the 20/40 coexistence.
Thanks for the advice guys

Message 186 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

That’s the way it works for me. The routine that automatically changes the subnet range is awesome. The only thing that could be better is if happened without needing to login to the management console to activate.
Message 187 of 249
Kammen77
Aspirant

I also have the surfboard SB6141 AND AN COMCAST I have the some of the same things happening, I have unplugged the way cable and the icon on the modem stays flashing as connected. I am starting to wonder if the modem has something to do with it.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 188 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What is happening? A more detailed description would be needed to describe your problem.

Try a different modem? 

Contact your ISP and have them check signal and services up to the modem. 

@Kammen77 wrote:
I also have the surfboard SB6141 AND AN COMCAST I have the some of the same things happening, I have unplugged the way cable and the icon on the modem stays flashing as connected. I am starting to wonder if the modem has something to do with it.

Message 189 of 249
Jomby
Aspirant

So after reading through the bulk of the posts in this thread, I am thinking best to stay with 44 since it has been quite solid and it is doing all that I need.  I don't want to hear the family screams like I did when I tried those baby orbi's .  I think an early post of just waiting it out until an eero set show up at Costco is the way to go.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 190 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

V60 is working well for me. There are some that have issues however this is mostly either a configuration issue or after doing a FW update a factory reset and setup from scratch IS needed. This has helped many with getting systems back online after doing a FW update. There are other factors that can cause problems as well. 

@Jomby wrote:

So after reading through the bulk of the posts in this thread, I am thinking best to stay with 44 since it has been quite solid and it is doing all that I need.  I don't want to hear the family screams like I did when I tried those baby orbi's .  I think an early post of just waiting it out until an eero set show up at Costco is the way to go.

Message 191 of 249
skennedy789
Aspirant

Just updated to this firmware and all Mac, iOS, PC, and smart devices in the household are occasionally dropping the WiFi signal since then. 😞
Message 192 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the entire system and setup from scratch. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@skennedy789 wrote:
Just updated to this firmware and all Mac, iOS, PC, and smart devices in the household are occasionally dropping the WiFi signal since then. 😞

Message 193 of 249
skennedy789
Aspirant

Thanks, I’ll try out the suggestions. The system had perfect, stable, and fast coverage for months before the firmware update, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the spatial setup.
Message 194 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking as we don't know what configuration you have had running. Reason for the questions. Let us know how it turns out after the reset. 

@skennedy789 wrote:
Thanks, I’ll try out the suggestions. The system had perfect, stable, and fast coverage for months before the firmware update, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the spatial setup.

Message 195 of 249

Just chiming in, this FW has borked my setup.

I was rock solid on the previous version for a very long time.

Now my symptoms are WiFi dropout for all devices after 24-48 hours of use.

I really don't want to reset everything and troubleshoot. Not again....

This just sucks Netgear. I hope you are reading this. Awful history of junk code released to the wild.

Rant over!

Message 196 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the FW loaded via auto update or manually? If auto update, try a manual re-load with downloaded FW files. Factory reset and setup from scratch. 

I've had zero issues with v60. So have others after doing a factory reset. 

@petesaunders wrote:

Just chiming in, this FW has borked my setup.

I was rock solid on the previous version for a very long time.

Now my symptoms are WiFi dropout for all devices after 24-48 hours of use.

I really don't want to reset everything and troubleshoot. Not again....

This just sucks Netgear. I hope you are reading this. Awful history of junk code released to the wild.

Rant over!

Message 197 of 249
RebelDad
Star

Yep. I'm now having the same issues with various devices losing connectivity and having to reboot them. Going to downgrade until I see an update that seems to be smooth.

Message 198 of 249

Auto update. I simply don't have the time to continually be Netgears beta tester nand troubleshoot. This is complete bullcrap.

Back to last revision I go, then I will try and lock it in (until reboot).

What a POS this gear is turning out to be.

Message 199 of 249

In my case the orbis go purple and drop everything. No access through orbi admin or telnet. I have to power cycle the rbr. It will stay up for 24-48 hours then boom, same crap.

Just ugh....

Message 200 of 249
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7