Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60

FURRYe38
Guru

Was the FW loaded via auto update or manually? If auto update, try a manual re-load with downloaded FW files. Factory reset and setup from scratch. 

I've had zero issues with v60. So have others after doing a factory reset. 

@RebelDad wrote:

Yep. I'm now having the same issues with various devices losing connectivity and having to reboot them. Going to downgrade until I see an update that seems to be smooth.

Message 201 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the manual FW download again with v60, then factory reset and setup from scratch. 

@petesaunders wrote:

Auto update. I simply don't have the time to continually be Netgears beta tester nand troubleshoot. This is complete bullcrap.

Back to last revision I go, then I will try and lock it in (until reboot).

What a POS this gear is turning out to be.

Message 202 of 249

It's probably a buffer overflow or something similar. Due to incompetent coding.

Message 203 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

No, just needs a factory reset and setup from scratch. Mines been working since day one of installing v60. 

Message 204 of 249

So by design, these things auto update FW that requires you manually download the same FW, manually install and factory reset?

Unaccpetable.

Stop proclaiming the FW is good if you need to hospitalize the damn thing and care for it to nurse it back to health.

Please, wow.

Message 205 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Works for others. I've had zero issues since installation my self. Maybe give it a try. If not, good luck then. 

Message 206 of 249

You are missing the whole point of the issue.

You should not have to manually download, install, factory reset, reconfigure.

All this AFTER an auto update borks it!

Serioualy the fastest way for me to fix this is go back to the old FW which was working fine.

Message 207 of 249

FOR SALE:

1x RBR50

1x RBS50

1x RBW30

SLIGHTLY USED

SLIGHTLY WORKING

AS-IS

Message 208 of 249

@petesaunders wrote:

FOR SALE:

1x RBR50

1x RBS50

1x RBW30

SLIGHTLY USED

SLIGHTLY WORKING

AS-IS

WORKS BEST WHEN NOT ATTACHED TO INTERNET

Message 209 of 249
jodax
Apprentice

I totally agree with you... and for a fact that I also did do the usual "factory reset" and "reconfigure" routine after "manually" updating to .60, it still didn't work, the only fix was to revert back, two firmware versions down.

Those who keeps saying "works for me... AFTER reset, etc, etc...." there shouldn't be an "AFTER"... the "IDEAL" scenario should be "FIRMWARE UPGRADE WORKS WITHOUT THE NEED TO TINKER AROUND", the downtime should be just during the actual upgrade and reboot process. No need to factory reset and re-configure, or optionally restore from backup (which by the way, most of the time is also useless because the backup data may not be compatible with the current firmware too). And even if you use the same name for the WiFi network, some devices requires re-connecting (it's a security feature of the device). It's all a big hassle, especially for folks that have a lot of devices (some of which are hard to reach - think cameras mounted up high).

Message 210 of 249

I hear you.

I have credit card processing machines on WiFi.

It's just a joke.

What revision FW did you kick back to?

Message 211 of 249
jodax
Apprentice

.44 was the last version that worked for me. I am subscribed to the bitdefender service (Netgear Armor) so I can't go lower than that.

Message 212 of 249

Thanks.

.44 was the one I was on too. It worked well. No down time. I just run the orbi as access point. I have a SBS domain which handles DHCP and DNS and a Sonicwall for perimeter.
Message 213 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru
purdyd
Aspirant

I am afraid to breathe but it seems that both the master and slave have been up for 51 days with this firmware.  That easily eclipses the previous 3 day record.

Message 215 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know your experience with this. 

Be sure you have made a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. If it's been up that long, please take a breath. Smiley Wink

@purdyd wrote:

I am afraid to breathe but it seems that both the master and slave have been up for 51 days with this firmware.  That easily eclipses the previous 3 day record.

Message 216 of 249
usahale
Star

I ended up giving up. I sold the Orbi system for half price and used that money to purchase Ubiquiti AP AC Lite (2 of them). Ethernet backhaul, HomeKit, Ring, Sonos and my solar inverter all now work effortlessly with a single SSID over 2.4 & 5 GHz. Zero issues encountered, WiFi behaves perfectly. Good luck to all of you and keep in mind other solutions exist that do work. 

Message 217 of 249
Lsuwhodat
Aspirant

I have had the RBR50 and 1 RBS50 for about 2 years(?) now.  It has worked great over the past few years with the occasional hiccup here and there.  A quick reset and all was well.  2.3.1.60 has made it very unstable.

I have Fiber internet so, I just have a jack essentially pluged into the Orbi Router LAN.  I then have it connected via ethernet to the satelitte roughly 30' away.  I am using the other few ethernet jacks on the router and Sat.  I do have a switch (Netgear GS308-100PAS) plugged into the LAN on the Sat.  I have roughly 18 devices on the network (4 Ipads, 2 IPhones, 2 Apple TVs, laptop, desktop, PS4, Ring, Hue, Chamberlin, etc).  My speeds are roughly 75 down and 25 up.

Many many reboots

Reset of the system twice.  Works ok for a bit.

Manually "updated" the Sat and the Router via ethernet.

Settings changes, MIMO, beamforming, daisy chain, etc.

Changed channels as my neighbor has an Orbi jsut to see if that made a diff.

Next step is to setup one at a time and do the 24 hour deal and then add the Sat give it 24 hours and so on.

I am short on time because I am doing grad school online and if I lose connectivity during a test then I can possibly fail.  I have been troubleshooting since the update came out.  The semester started back up today so I am very close to going to buy a different mesh system all together.  Any other thoughts on what I am doing wrong?  Are the newer RBR50s an upgrade worht the $$ over one a few years old?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 218 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Lsuwhodat 

Just a few thoughts. 

It's okay to disable daisychain, recommeded really, if only one satellite in use.

Apples will benefit from MU-MIMO and beamforming.

If 30' separation between base and satellite, I'd go with wireless backhaul and see how that works out.

If you're going to play around with changing channels, using a spectrum analyzer will help more quickly find clean air. 

The host router (what the Orbi is connected to upstream) should be in bridged or passthrough or DMS mode.

If you have Fiber internet and are only getting 75M down, somathing is seriously wrong and needs to be solved.

As a last resort, I'd do one more nuclear test and do a full reset using paperclip method.  Do NOT restore any settings from backup and re-enter config changes manually. 

I'd be surprised if the hardware has changed and I wouldn't bother with that route. 

FWIW, what you describe as a setup is very similar to what I have here with the notable exception of having numerous Amazon devices.

Message 219 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by "unstable? Need more details here.

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Can you try the Orbi in AP mode? 

Your LAN switch has Green Ethernet features which don't work well with Orbi systems:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS308/UnmanagedSwitches300_DS_24Apr14.pdf?_ga=2.17898425....

Can you remove this switch temporarily and test with out it being connected? 

Can you remove the RBS from the mix and just use the RBR and see if it changes anything? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Lsuwhodat wrote:

I have had the RBR50 and 1 RBS50 for about 2 years(?) now.  It has worked great over the past few years with the occasional hiccup here and there.  A quick reset and all was well.  2.3.1.60 has made it very unstable.

I have Fiber internet so, I just have a jack essentially pluged into the Orbi Router LAN.  I then have it connected via ethernet to the satelitte roughly 30' away.  I am using the other few ethernet jacks on the router and Sat.  I do have a switch (Netgear GS308-100PAS) plugged into the LAN on the Sat.  I have roughly 18 devices on the network (4 Ipads, 2 IPhones, 2 Apple TVs, laptop, desktop, PS4, Ring, Hue, Chamberlin, etc).  My speeds are roughly 75 down and 25 up.

Many many reboots

Reset of the system twice.  Works ok for a bit.

Manually "updated" the Sat and the Router via ethernet.

Settings changes, MIMO, beamforming, daisy chain, etc.

Changed channels as my neighbor has an Orbi jsut to see if that made a diff.

Next step is to setup one at a time and do the 24 hour deal and then add the Sat give it 24 hours and so on.

I am short on time because I am doing grad school online and if I lose connectivity during a test then I can possibly fail.  I have been troubleshooting since the update came out.  The semester started back up today so I am very close to going to buy a different mesh system all together.  Any other thoughts on what I am doing wrong?  Are the newer RBR50s an upgrade worht the $$ over one a few years old?

Message 220 of 249
Lsuwhodat
Aspirant

Just a few thoughts. 

It's okay to disable daisychain, recommeded really, if only one satellite in use.

Apples will benefit from MU-MIMO and beamforming.

If 30' separation between base and satellite, I'd go with wireless backhaul and see how that works out.

If you're going to play around with changing channels, using a spectrum analyzer will help more quickly find clean air. 

The host router (what the Orbi is connected to upstream) should be in bridged or passthrough or DMS mode.

If you have Fiber internet and are only getting 75M down, somathing is seriously wrong and needs to be solved.

As a last resort, I'd do one more nuclear test and do a full reset using paperclip method.  Do NOT restore any settings from backup and re-enter config changes manually. 

I'd be surprised if the hardware has changed and I wouldn't bother with that route. 

FWIW, what you describe as a setup is very similar to what I have here with the notable exception of having numerous Amazon devices.

Thanks. Will do. In regards to the Fiber speed that is the speed of my package. The next packages are 150, 300, and 1gb.

Message 221 of 249
Lsuwhodat
Aspirant

What do you mean by "unstable? Need more details here.

Very intermittent connectivity more than anything.  The signal may be great for 2 days then all of the sudden it will shut off.  I can reboot once sometimes and its back to normal. Other times it takes several reboots to get it working only to go down after a few minutes.  Last night reboots did nothing so I had to do a reset.

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Can you try the Orbi in AP mode? 

I will have to double check but I believe it is in Router mode.  I can try AP.

Your LAN switch has Green Ethernet features which don't work well with Orbi systems:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS308/UnmanagedSwitches300_DS_24Apr14.pdf?_ga=2.17898425....

Can you remove this switch temporarily and test with out it being connected? 

Interesting.  I did this yesterday just as a test.  I dont plan on putting it back after reading that.

Can you remove the RBS from the mix and just use the RBR and see if it changes anything? 

Will give this a go.

2500 or so.  The Router is centrally located.  The Satelite is for me to try and reach the edges of the property line.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I need to double check.

There are 4 houses or so within range with Wifi.  I ran a spectrum test a few days ago.  Will need to re-run.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Will Do

Message 222 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 223 of 249
Gebla
Apprentice

The only working solution for me was to split 2.4 and 5 GHZ SSID and then connect all devices to 2.4 GHZ. I did this by renaming the SSID of 5 GHZ to a different SSID and therefore all devices will only connect to 2.4. After this change internet is working again (and my family stopped complaining to me)

Devices with problems on5GHZ are:

Surface Pro 5, Surface Book 2

Samsung S9, Oneplus 3 and Samsung J9

5 GHZ does not work! You have intermittant internet connections or no connections at all. 2.4 is stable.

I hope Netgear will one day fix 5GHZ, but it seems Netgear priority is introducing fake security crap ware instead of creating a working product

Message 224 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have had no issues with 5Ghz. Possible configuration or placement issue that you may have.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I've need no issues with 5Ghz running the combined SSID. Mine services many streamers and a wireless bridge for streaming to DISH joey. 

Was a factory reset performed after updating to v60? This needs to be performed as a last resort to see if this helps clear out any problems after a FW update. Use default settings and use the single SSID configuration, not separate. NG doesn't support separation of the SSID. 

@Gebla wrote:

The only working solution for me was to split 2.4 and 5 GHZ SSID and then connect all devices to 2.4 GHZ. I did this by renaming the SSID of 5 GHZ to a different SSID and therefore all devices will only connect to 2.4. After this change internet is working again (and my family stopped complaining to me)

Devices with problems on5GHZ are:

Surface Pro 5, Surface Book 2

Samsung S9, Oneplus 3 and Samsung J9

5 GHZ does not work! You have intermittant internet connections or no connections at all. 2.4 is stable.

I hope Netgear will one day fix 5GHZ, but it seems Netgear priority is introducing fake security crap ware instead of creating a working product

Message 225 of 249
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7