Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60

Dd852
Luminary

Re: Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60

You are a star/thanks. I was trying to use Terminal and it simply wouldn't. Needed an old-style telnet

Message 51 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dd852 wrote:

You are a star/thanks. I was trying to use Terminal and it simply wouldn't. Needed an old-style telnet

First you’d download the latest, inetutils-1.9.4.tar.gz, inetutils package from GNU Telnet.

To compile/install telnet locally on your MacOS, assuming you have already installed Apple Xcode, which is free from App Store:

• tar xvzf inetutils-1.9.4.tar.gz
  • cd inetutils-1.9.4
  • ./configure
  • make
  • sudo make install

Have Fun!

Message 52 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

For Windows, tick "Telnet Client" box via "Turn Windows features on or off".

See this screenshot/attached image:

Window Telnet.png

Message 53 of 249
FURRYe38
Guru

Tera Term is a nice telnet program for Windows. Use it all the time. 

http://ttssh2.osdn.jp

Message 54 of 249
Ragar99
Luminary

@MikeG63 wrote:

I am not defending Netgear persay, 

It is "per se"....you don't say!

Message 55 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dd852 wrote:

... Needed an old-style telnet

First you’d download the latest, inetutils-1.9.4.tar.gz, inetutils package from GNU Telnet.

To compile/install telnet locally on your MacOS, assuming you have already installed Apple Xcode, which is free from App Store:

• tar xvzf inetutils-1.9.4.tar.gz
  • cd inetutils-1.9.4
  • ./configure
  • make
  • sudo make install

If you've gone through the above steps, you'll get your old-style telnet back, which you can run from terminal.  However, if you don't want to do all that work, you can also do this from a terminal.

• nc <ip-address> <port>

Just replace the IP address with your ORBI's IP address.

• nc 192.168.1.1 23

Message 56 of 249
Ljvb
Initiate

@MikeG63 wrote:

Hmmmmm, I rest my case, it seems your issues are all related to compatibility issues rather than Netgear h/w being 'junk'.  The problem is mostly down to 'standards' accross the industry.

For example, my Ring camera and doorbell battery devices suffered issues when I first set my Orbi mesh network up.  Thisi was resolved by adding another Ring Chime Pro to the Ring network so I had one near each battery device.  My Nest battery home protect smoke / CO2 alarms didn't work initially and kept loosing their connection.  After some 'googling' I found someone who had solved the problem by resetting each Nest alarm back to their default factory settings and then reconfiguring them to the new n/w.  Since then they have not disconnected again.  My Canary camera occaisionaly disconnects, but will re-connect a short time later so no biggy there.  As to all my other devices (Amazon, Hue, Sky, heating thermostats), and I currently have 32, they all seem to be coping fine.

I assume you've tried reserving their IP addresses?

Finally, I took my service providers (BT) router / modem out of the equation and connected my Orbi router directly to their modem.

I'm going to have to semi disagree with you.  I actually have been having issues for the last few months.  I have had the Orbi for just over a year and a half now, the 40, and the Satellites constantly drop.  I have almost no issues with wireless devices.

Normally, I would pickup something a little more advanced, as with you, I have decades of IT and IT Security experience, so I am not a novice user.  I picked up the Orbi because it was a quick stop gap solution to moving into my new house, and I needed something with physical ethernet ports to connect my Tivos, and the internet comes in on the other side of the house, and did not want to rip apart walls or floors to run cable at the time. 

I had not noticed it much becaue my main TV is wired into the main Orbi unit and not the satellite, which is hardwired into a Brocade 6610 switch.

However, my 6 year old has taken over that TV so I am relagated to the back room which has no coax or ethernet cable.  Only the satellite.

Watching TV is almost impossible, every 2 or 3 min the satellite drops its connection for a few hours, then it is fine again. for a few hours, then it craps out again.  It has been doing this for months now.  The only reason I still have it is because I have been working on a bathroom.  Next project will be running coax and cat6 and/or fiber throughout the house.

There is a 500+ post thread on the connections dropping spanning over a year.  This is not a new problem, this is a major issue which has not been resolved.  for a $400 (well when I bought it)+ setup, this should not be happening.  So yes, people get a little vicious when describing hardware that is a problem.  I currently have a Ubiquiti AP, sitting in my garage, with a concrete wall and 2 regular drywalls between the backroom, and I still get stronger signals than the Orbi provides which is separated  by only a regular drywall and 50 feet from the main unit.  This should not be the case.

So I will be turfing the Orbi soon unless they come up with a solution to the dropouts.  The Ubiquiti products are almost as easily to setup (ps, I have no working or personal relation to them), and also suppor multi vlan tagging, which I feel that the Orbi for it's price should also support.  I feel that Netgear is using us as beta testers rather than a polished product.. Garmin does this as well.. drives me nuts.

I guess like the other guy, I am just fedup with the problems.  Maybe it was because I tried to watch 3 episodes of Game of Thrones yesterday while working form home and the constant interuptions from the satellite dropping pissed me off to the point that I am making my issues public..  

Message 57 of 249
Ljvb
Initiate

Thats another problem.. what the hell Netgear.. telnet has been depreciated for over a decade, there is no reason not to include ssh.

Message 58 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Ljvb wrote:

Thats another problem.. what the hell Netgear.. telnet has been depreciated for over a decade, there is no reason not to include ssh.

You said it!  Smiley Happy

Message 59 of 249
NewAccount
Guide

@Ljvb wrote:

@MikeG63 wrote:

Hmmmmm, I rest my case, it seems your issues are all related to compatibility issues rather than Netgear h/w being 'junk'.  The problem is mostly down to 'standards' accross the industry.

For example, my Ring camera and doorbell battery devices suffered issues when I first set my Orbi mesh network up.  Thisi was resolved by adding another Ring Chime Pro to the Ring network so I had one near each battery device.  My Nest battery home protect smoke / CO2 alarms didn't work initially and kept loosing their connection.  After some 'googling' I found someone who had solved the problem by resetting each Nest alarm back to their default factory settings and then reconfiguring them to the new n/w.  Since then they have not disconnected again.  My Canary camera occaisionaly disconnects, but will re-connect a short time later so no biggy there.  As to all my other devices (Amazon, Hue, Sky, heating thermostats), and I currently have 32, they all seem to be coping fine.

I assume you've tried reserving their IP addresses?

Finally, I took my service providers (BT) router / modem out of the equation and connected my Orbi router directly to their modem.

I'm going to have to semi disagree with you.  I actually have been having issues for the last few months.  I have had the Orbi for just over a year and a half now, the 40, and the Satellites constantly drop.  I have almost no issues with wireless devices.

Normally, I would pickup something a little more advanced, as with you, I have decades of IT and IT Security experience, so I am not a novice user.  I picked up the Orbi because it was a quick stop gap solution to moving into my new house, and I needed something with physical ethernet ports to connect my Tivos, and the internet comes in on the other side of the house, and did not want to rip apart walls or floors to run cable at the time. 

I had not noticed it much becaue my main TV is wired into the main Orbi unit and not the satellite, which is hardwired into a Brocade 6610 switch.

However, my 6 year old has taken over that TV so I am relagated to the back room which has no coax or ethernet cable.  Only the satellite.

Watching TV is almost impossible, every 2 or 3 min the satellite drops its connection for a few hours, then it is fine again. for a few hours, then it craps out again.  It has been doing this for months now.  The only reason I still have it is because I have been working on a bathroom.  Next project will be running coax and cat6 and/or fiber throughout the house.

There is a 500+ post thread on the connections dropping spanning over a year.  This is not a new problem, this is a major issue which has not been resolved.  for a $400 (well when I bought it)+ setup, this should not be happening.  So yes, people get a little vicious when describing hardware that is a problem.  I currently have a Ubiquiti AP, sitting in my garage, with a concrete wall and 2 regular drywalls between the backroom, and I still get stronger signals than the Orbi provides which is separated  by only a regular drywall and 50 feet from the main unit.  This should not be the case.

So I will be turfing the Orbi soon unless they come up with a solution to the dropouts.  The Ubiquiti products are almost as easily to setup (ps, I have no working or personal relation to them), and also suppor multi vlan tagging, which I feel that the Orbi for it's price should also support.  I feel that Netgear is using us as beta testers rather than a polished product.. Garmin does this as well.. drives me nuts.

I guess like the other guy, I am just fedup with the problems.  Maybe it was because I tried to watch 3 episodes of Game of Thrones yesterday while working form home and the constant interuptions from the satellite dropping pissed me off to the point that I am making my issues public..  

You said it @Ljvb  - same here. I am not in IT, I am in IS and while complex network design is beyond me, I know enough to setup the basic network and turn the setting on and off. And this and other forums provide plenty of answers (this is where I learned to disable the Beamforming, MIMO and set preferred channels). However the reason for the Satellites dropouts was never solved, neither by firmware updates, nor by Netgear support. And I was as lucky as some others to get a replacement devices magically begin working. 

So yeah, I am fed up by the device that cost me more than $300. I ordered a set of 3 Eeros, all Gen. 2, that's coming it some time tomorrow. And unless 100's of reviews for Eero products I read online are totally bogus, this Orbi goes right back to Costco, and then to Netgear who will fix it (or most likely not) and will sell as refurbished to some other poor soul.

Message 60 of 249
MikeG63
Apprentice

Rude

@MikeG63 wrote:

I am not defending Netgear persay, 

It is "per se"....you don't say!

Message 61 of 249
Dd852
Luminary

I‘m not sure how to get the attention of Netgear on these forums, but it would really useful to let users actually look easily at all the advanced information available instead of having to learn „hidden“ tricks like debug.htm, hidden_info.htm, and various telnet commands. I can understand not wanting to confuse basic consumer users, but put it on an „advanced information“ tab... safer than encouraging people to use telnet to actually change things rather than just look!

Message 62 of 249
gr8sho
Virtuoso

My satellite also drives 3 streaming boxes and a smart home hub. Channel 157 is clean based on site survey, which is the channel I believe is used for wireless backhaul. The satellite sits over 50’ from the base. GoT got no problems. All 3 advanced wireless options are enabled. No dropouts. House is 3200+ sq ft.
Message 63 of 249
Joboo7777
Apprentice

Has anyone received .60 through the auto update process? I’m on .44 and have not received .48 and now .60 through auto updates.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 64 of 249
bigbyte
Aspirant

I just finished installing it. When I logged into my orbi this morning there was a notice letting me know an update was available for the router and it's satellite. Update went fine. 

Message 65 of 249
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

@Joboo7777 wrote:
Has anyone received .60 through the auto update process? I’m on .44 and have not received .48 and now .60 through auto updates.

I realize it may have eventually triggered on it's own - but, for now - I really appreciate I was able to install this update on my own terms/timeline.  I did it this morning when I could monitor it instead of it doing it in the middle of the night, without me knowing, and then have the possibility of waking up to a frozen network.  It's good too, because, I did have to do an extra reboot to get it to stabilize.

Message 66 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Joboo7777 wrote:

@mlkri said his system was auto-dated from v44 to v60 even after he had rolled back to v44.  Check out his full post here.

Message 67 of 249
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If you are still sufferring from WiFi drops with 2.3.1.60, would you mind sharing your Wireless Settings page?  I'm looking for a pattern or common settings that would cause this issue since WiFi drop doesn't seem to affect all users.  It would be helpful if you share any on-default wireless settings in addition to this page.

Region-USA.png

Message 68 of 249
iSuresh
Tutor

My RBR50 updated to .60 without any issues but my RBS50 is stuck on .48. It shows "Waiting for connection" on the firmware update page.

Rebooted twice, no luck. Any suggestions to get my sattelite also updated to .60? I do not see any firmware downloads links for manual update.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 69 of 249
swall101
Aspirant

Bye 👋 

Message 70 of 249

Maybe there isn't one. They don't always go side by side, especially for satellites.

Message 71 of 249
Joboo7777
Apprentice

I think issues people may be having go beyond the advance settings. I would suggest also including the following non default settings:

Are you running Armor?

Are you running guest network?

Are you running separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5?

Are you running Disney Circle?

Do you set wifi channels manually?

Basically need to capture every setting that is outside the default. Which for some could be quite a few. Regardless of what it is or how insignificant you may think it is, it's important to capture these to identifty a pattern. 

Then there are environment variables that are alittle harder to capture. How many wireless networks are you competing with in your neighborhood, etc.

Message 72 of 249
bigbyte
Aspirant

Just for reference I am running Armor, no guest network, no Disney, only one SSID for 5/2 GHz networks. Both my RBR50 and it’s satellite updated to 60.

Message 73 of 249
MikeG63
Apprentice

I had that exact same problem.  I cycled the power on my 'errant' satellite which resulted in it then correctly showing the required firmware update.  I then did a manual update and just selected that particulare satellite.  Then all was fine.

@iSuresh wrote:

My RBR50 updated to .60 without any issues but my RBS50 is stuck on .48. It shows "Waiting for connection" on the firmware update page.

Rebooted twice, no luck. Any suggestions to get my sattelite also updated to .60? I do not see any firmware downloads links for manual update.

Message 69 of 73
Message 74 of 249
MikeG63
Apprentice

A couple of question if I may

1. Does re-booting the router also re-boot the satellites?
  2. Also is there a way to re-boot individual satellites?

Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 75 of 249
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7