Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Firmware Check Error

Aydo
Tutor

Orbi Firmware Check Error

My parents have the RBK50 purchased from Costco. It hasn’t had any issues other than the initial firmware update issues. When I visited a few months ago I manually updated the firmware to 2.3.1.44 which is still the version it’s currently running.

I’ve received a couple of emails urging me to update the firmware, but since I don’t live close to my parents, I asked my dad to update it via the app. Every time he tries to update, it gives “Firmware Check Error” and the usual rebooting doesn’t fix it.

Does anyone have any ways to fix it without requiring a PC for manual update? My dad isn’t quite that tech savvy. Thank you for your help in advance.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Aydo
Tutor

Re: Orbi Firmware Check Error

[continued from my previous post]

I confirmed the RBR50 and RBS50 are on 2.3.1.60. Oddly enough, the web interface checks the firmware and reports that there is no newer firmware, yet the Orbi app still gives a firmware check error.

The firmware update was done through the web interface on an iPhone in Safari.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
Soccerphysio
Aspirant

I’m having the same exact problem.  I’m hesitant to do anything like rebooting because my system is working fine right now (hopefully I didn’t just jinx myself).  I just posted a similar question on this forum prior to seeing your post, so hopefully one of us will get some help!

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

You may need to manually update which is preferred. You could remote in to your dads wired connected PC and help him update the system if needed. You don't have to update the system either. Use Teamviewer for remote access between you can your dad. 

Have you dad check the FW update from a wired PC and from the RBRs web page, not the mobile app. 

Message 3 of 10
DMHDMH
Initiate

I had same problem -rebooted orbi a few time over the pst several weeks and yesterday finally got an “update” button on the Orbi app

Pressed the button, got message that the upgrade was successful, but the firmware version on the settings page is still the .44 version
Now I get the same version check fails message when I try to check for an upgrade

Any advice?
Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 10
Aydo
Tutor

Thank you for your help. I had my father log into orbilogin.net, which gave him an alert saying a newer firmware is available, which downloaded and installed without issue.
Message 5 of 10
Aydo
Tutor

[continued from my previous post]

I confirmed the RBR50 and RBS50 are on 2.3.1.60. Oddly enough, the web interface checks the firmware and reports that there is no newer firmware, yet the Orbi app still gives a firmware check error.

The firmware update was done through the web interface on an iPhone in Safari.
Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Sad, sad, sad.  Technology is complicated enough without our tools being unreliable.

Message 7 of 10
Soccerphysio
Aspirant

So did you just go to the Orbi website and login, and then the firmware can be updated from the website, or is there more technical stuff involved?

Message 8 of 10
Aydo
Tutor

Go to orbilogin.net from any web browser and login using the admin credentials
Message 9 of 10
DMHDMH
Initiate

Thanks - worked
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors