Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

MikeG63
Apprentice

Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

Does anyone have any details on this new firmware upgrade?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 177

Accepted Solutions
espcar
Star

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes issues with the Apple HomeKit connectivity.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the wireless crash and reboot issue when the router is under stress.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the WiFi disconnection and IOT issue.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the Ethernet backhaul boot-sequence issue.
[Bug Fix] Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256.

[New Features and Enhancements] Enhances the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list.
[Bug Fixes] Fixes the compatibility issue with Sonos devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 177

All Replies
espcar
Star

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes issues with the Apple HomeKit connectivity.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the wireless crash and reboot issue when the router is under stress.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the WiFi disconnection and IOT issue.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the Ethernet backhaul boot-sequence issue.
[Bug Fix] Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256.

[New Features and Enhancements] Enhances the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list.
[Bug Fixes] Fixes the compatibility issue with Sonos devices.

Message 2 of 177
TedSz
Initiate

This firmware update has destroyed all my Device List name and icon configuration. It creates a new device list with cryptic names that may include device network names, and names with portions of the device's MAC address. If you try to edit the names and icons, it resets them. There are new icons.
Message 3 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

Ditto for me, but I can't edit and apply any subsequent changes.  It wasn't quite as extreme for me as the experience you describe.  Only some were 'randomly' changed.  Also I got the 'new' icons which may be deliberate as part of th the new firmware upgrade.

Message 4 of 177
Licorice1978
Initiate

And the setting for different SSID has been gone and can't be set again.

https://digiex.net/threads/step-by-step-guide-enabling-different-2-4ghz-and-5ghz-network-ssids-on-or...

Message 5 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

So 6 bugs fixed, 2 new ones and counting Smiley LOL

Also wrt - [New Features and Enhancements] Enhances the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list.

Hmmmmmm......did something there to break it as well!!!

Message 6 of 177

As well for me it changed my settings in the portal and on the iOS apps.
When I try to change it, it will only stand until a restart of the app.

Some other divices get a name not even close to what it is.

I hope Netgear will fix this soon.

Message 7 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Naming of devices and saving changes is confirmed:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Device-Names-not-Saving/td-p/1814483/jump-to/first-...

Please contact NG support and let them know about it.

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Message 8 of 177
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

We are currently looking into this issue. We will get back to you guys for any updates. 

Thanks @FURRYe38 for alerting me to this post. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi, All, 

We are currently looking into this issue. We will get back to you guys for any updates. 

Thanks @FURRYe38 for alerting me to this post. 

FYI....there are numerous posts concerning problems with 2.5.0.38

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 177
dnonnema
Aspirant

I applied this firmware update today.   Took about 3 minutes, no problems after system rebooted.  

Message 11 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dnonnema wrote:

I applied this firmware update today.   Took about 3 minutes, no problems after system rebooted.  

Nice....check back in a few days.  I think the record is 5 days.

Message 12 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Let us know if you have any problems. Mines been solid since updating as well. No issues besides the device naming problem which NG is aware of.

Be sure you do a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@dnonnema wrote:

Message 13 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for letting us know. Let us know if you have any problems. Mines been solid since updating as well. No issues besides the device naming problem which NG is aware of.

Be sure you do a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Don't forget to perform a factory reset....

@dnonnema wrote:

Message 14 of 177
chingwa14
Initiate

Same here... Updated and took about 10 mins at best, but a slew of issues popped up!

First was the SSIDs... I had them changed manually via Telnet to indicate 2.4 GHz vs. 5.0 GHz's SSIDs... After the update, the 5.0 GHz SSID came in and out and a third one popped up as well. Tried manually correcting the SSIDs and rebooting the router... worked for 10 mins... and then the issue repeats. Tried like 5 times and each time with the same result. Since you don't let us change it within the router's GUI/website, this was the only way via Telnet. Now your firmware overrides this somehow? Really Netgear???

Also, I've noticed things really weird with my connect. Videos at the beginning have a hard time buffering initially, and just not smooth like normal as before the update. Is there a way to backtrack and use the previoius firmware?

Then... the new icons and names for device is a nice touch... but some of the devices cannot be changed for some reason... Tried via the router GUI/website... chagned for 30 seconds... then reverts. Tried via the Orbi app... same result.

Fixing this via an subsequent update will take a while form Netgear... and I don't think we should be subjected to sub-par performance on a unit that many people forked out over $400 for... We really didn't spend this amount to have these issues that we would have compared to other routers...

Netgear... please help... please help ASAP!!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 177
CrimpOn
Guru

My guess is that you can do a "Manual" firmware install to go back to 2.3.5.30.  Just download the files for router and satellite from the Netgear support web site: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download Do the satellite first by connecting directly to the satellite's web interface, then do the router last.

Message 16 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you separate the SSIDs? This isn't supported on any FW version. 

I factory reset my RBK50 series and setup from scratch. Set the SSID name during the set up wizard walk thru and has been online since. 

Naming of devices is a known issue and NG has acknowleged they are looking into it. 

@chingwa14 wrote:

Same here... Updated and took about 10 mins at best, but a slew of issues popped up!

First was the SSIDs... I had them changed manually via Telnet to indicate 2.4 GHz vs. 5.0 GHz's SSIDs... After the update, the 5.0 GHz SSID came in and out and a third one popped up as well. Tried manually correcting the SSIDs and rebooting the router... worked for 10 mins... and then the issue repeats. Tried like 5 times and each time with the same result. Since you don't let us change it within the router's GUI/website, this was the only way via Telnet. Now your firmware overrides this somehow? Really Netgear???

Also, I've noticed things really weird with my connect. Videos at the beginning have a hard time buffering initially, and just not smooth like normal as before the update. Is there a way to backtrack and use the previoius firmware?

Then... the new icons and names for device is a nice touch... but some of the devices cannot be changed for some reason... Tried via the router GUI/website... chagned for 30 seconds... then reverts. Tried via the Orbi app... same result.

Fixing this via an subsequent update will take a while form Netgear... and I don't think we should be subjected to sub-par performance on a unit that many people forked out over $400 for... We really didn't spend this amount to have these issues that we would have compared to other routers...

Netgear... please help... please help ASAP!!!

Message 17 of 177
LSStream
Guide

I concur with this. Most of my network attached devices custom names/attributes have been replaced by what appears to be a sub-par attempt at Netgear to automatically determine what a given device is. Sure, good luck with that effort, but at least give us the option to use our own naming convention, so we aren't subject to what your software thinks it should be.

Message 18 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

It's just a new bug with the new detection feature. NG is aware of it and hopefully will fix it. 

Please be patient. 

@LSStream wrote:

I concur with this. Most of my network attached devices custom names/attributes have been replaced by what appears to be a sub-par attempt at Netgear to automatically determine what a given device is. Sure, good luck with that effort, but at least give us the option to use our own naming convention, so we aren't subject to what your software thinks it should be.

Message 19 of 177
chingwa14
Initiate

You're able to "Manually" sets up the two SSIDs that designate the two bands... (2.4 and 5.0 GHz) via loggin into the router settings via Telnet.

Giving the router a few commands to rename the wl_ssid (2.4 GHz) and wla_ssid (5.0 GHz) will allow the router to broadcast their individual bands via the SSID you designate.

But after this update, it seems like Negear took the liberty to force the existing labeling to be removed, and utilize some type of mysterious convention to take your exisitng 2.4 GHz name, and just take like the first 4-6 characters to name the 5.0 GHz... which is completely bizzare...

With the naming of the devices completely haywired... I've lost granularity on my devices... and now have to make a separate list on all of their MAC addresses to ensure I can rename them in the future WHEN Netgear will offer an update to correct this issue...

Message 20 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of the naming issue. 

Please be patient while they work on it. 

Message 21 of 177
porlockweir
Guide

Installed this update yesterday, and then spent the next 6 hours attempting to have a workable network, factory resetting twice in the process.  Issues are:

• Random blocking of devices when access control is switched on – including at times Orbi satellites.  This includes devices being blocked while attempting to carry out actions on the web interface (e.g. it let me log in but then blocked the device I was using when I went to the factory reset page) and reblocking devices 5 min after being added to allowed list.
  • Internet connection constantly dropping out until factory reset for a second time
  • Web interface not functioning properly, e.g. the button to confirm factory reset would not work
  • The renaming issue that others have experienced

This is the worst update I have experienced to date (and this is my third fourth Netgear router), and totally unacceptable.  I know some recommend a factory reset every time you update, but why should we have to spend time reinputting settings every time?

Message 22 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

@porlockweir wrote:

Installed this update yesterday, and then spent the next 6 hours attempting to have a workable network, factory resetting twice in the process.  Issues are:

• Random blocking of devices when access control is switched on – including at times Orbi satellites.  This includes devices being blocked while attempting to carry out actions on the web interface (e.g. it let me log in but then blocked the device I was using when I went to the factory reset page) and reblocking devices 5 min after being added to allowed list.

Have you set IP address reservations for each device you are attempting to control BEFORE you engage any access controlls? 

• Internet connection constantly dropping out until factory reset for a second time

What is the MFr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT your using with the RBR? 

Something I haven't seen yet with mine connected to a C7800 thats in modem only mode. No drops. 

• Web interface not functioning properly, e.g. the button to confirm factory reset would not work

I'm using Opera and have not see any issues with the RBR or RBS web page. Be sure to clear out ALL browser caches before going to the web pages. 

NG is aware of this, Please be patient.

This is the worst update I have experienced to date (and this is my third fourth Netgear router), and totally unacceptable.  I know some recommend a factory reset every time you update, but why should we have to spend time reinputting settings every time?

Its only recommended if you experience issue after any update. There are configurations that may become problematic as new FW comes out. So to check this, a reset is needed to see if the problems still continue or not. Some have been able to update with out. Some have had to. I just make it a habit to reset after loading and setup from scratch. My choice. 

System Uptime 02:18:45:09

Message 23 of 177
porlockweir
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@porlockweir wrote:

Have you set IP address reservations for each device you are attempting to control BEFORE you engage any access controlls? 

Yes, and had to reinput twice before giving up and disabling access control until bug is fixed

What is the MFr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT your using with the RBR? 

Something I haven't seen yet with mine connected to a C7800 thats in modem only mode. No drops. 

I'm using a Netgear DM200 - the second factory reset seems to have resolved this

I'm using Opera and have not see any issues with the RBR or RBS web page. Be sure to clear out ALL browser caches before going to the web pages. 

Did that, and tried a different browser.  Was also taking 5+min to load a page before second factory reset.  Fortunately has not reoccured since I was ready to throw it out the window at well past midnight last night, having done the update at 6pm.

NG is aware of this, Please be patient. Only noted for confirmation to others. 

Its only recommended if you experience issue after any update. There are configurations that may become problematic as new FW comes out. So to check this, a reset is needed to see if the problems still continue or not. Some have been able to update with out. Some have had to. I just make it a habit to reset after loading and setup from scratch. My choice. 

Don't disgaree, but when you are having to reinput IP reservations etc it is really rather annoying to have to keep doing so.

System Uptime 02:18:45:09

Message 24 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

'I'm using a Netgear DM200 - the second factory reset seems to have resolved this"

Is this modem in router or bridge mode? It should be bridged or running modem mode only. If not, this would be one reason why the Orbi could be having problems. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Ya I know about peoples configurations. However backup configurations to file can help here. First we need to get the modem and RBR setup and stable first. Lets leave IP reservations and access controls alone for now. Disabled. One step at a time. 

Message 25 of 177
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7