Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

thedak
Apprentice

2.5.0.38 is the worst firmware my devices have ever seen.  I have a RBK50 with two RBS50s and they have been functioning perfectly for over two years.   Did the upgrade last night and multiple problems.  (1) Attached devices naming, icons, and types are wrong and manual correction doesn't stick, (2) my Galaxy S10+ which normall connects at 5Ghz over 400Mbps struggled to maintain a 2.4 connection at abysmal speeds (< 40 Mbps) link speeds.     This is without any geographic changes.    Rebooted all and no help.

Downgraded back to 2.3.5.30 and everything worked perfectly again.

Not sure this firmware is ready for full production deployment.   Recommend it be PULLED due to the plethora of problems are fixed.

PS: My RBK50 is in AP mode.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a reset and setup from scratch been performed since the update? 

Others are having no problems including me:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Firmware-v2-5-0-38/td-p/1813835/jump-to/first-unread-messa...

Theres only one issue that NG is aware of that deal with the custome naming of the devices. Not a show stopper. 

@thedak wrote:

2.5.0.38 is the worst firmware my devices have ever seen.  I have a RBK50 with two RBS50s and they have been functioning perfectly for over two years.   Did the upgrade last night and multiple problems.  (1) Attached devices naming, icons, and types are wrong and manual correction doesn't stick, (2) my Galaxy S10+ which normall connects at 5Ghz over 400Mbps struggled to maintain a 2.4 connection at abysmal speeds (< 40 Mbps) link speeds.     This is without any geographic changes.    Rebooted all and no help.

Downgraded back to 2.3.5.30 and everything worked perfectly again.

Not sure this firmware is ready for full production deployment.   Recommend it be PULLED due to the plethora of problems are fixed.

PS: My RBK50 is in AP mode.

Message 27 of 177
thedak
Apprentice

sheesh, I can do that but Netgears official documentation for in-place gui firmware updates does not require this.   Every other time I have done such there has been no need to.

IMHO, if Netgear's official stance is that we have to do a factory reset and full reconfiguration with each and every in-place upgrade there is a significant engineering problem with the FW......  

Message 28 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes normally resets are not needed. However for those and experience bad or odd issues, a reset maybe needed. 

You can save off the RBRs back up config to file for safe keeping and loading later on. 

Message 29 of 177
thedak
Apprentice

There are a bunch of posts similar to mine in the forum regarding device connectivity and reliability.   And, for what it's worth, the device display is annoying. 

I'm very happy since I downgraded (the RBS50s and the RBK50)

For a UI that recommends an in-place upgrade the update should be fully regression tested by netgear before it is offered up.  I still content that a full factory reset is an unreasonable expectation.

Can you imagine how users would feel if a MSFT bi-annual feature update (1809, 1903, 1909, etc) required that you did a full factory reset (clean install) on windows?

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 30 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

I have had no reliability issues with mine since updating. Yes, I factory reset and for what it's worth. It works

Factory reset is a last resort to any kind of issues that seems to appear out of any problem that arises on routers. Been like this for a long time. Though NG user experiences and expectations have been that FW has been upgraded on a router and should run after the update, those have had good experiences here. For those that don't, yes, a factory reset and setup from scratch is needed. This helps clear out any possible mis-configurations and any lingering prior FW code. Gives the FW and router a chance to start from a clean slate. I have seen this problem before after updating FW, odd things happen. After a reset is done, those odd problems were fixed. 

Not a valid reset option for Windows since windows doesn't have a reset feature. Resets features have been and will be supported on any ROUTER device. There a good reasons why this feature is here. 

@thedak wrote:

There are a bunch of posts similar to mine in the forum regarding device connectivity and reliability.   And, for what it's worth, the device display is annoying. 

I'm very happy since I downgraded (the RBS50s and the RBK50)

For a UI that recommends an in-place upgrade the update should be fully regression tested by netgear before it is offered up.  I still content that a full factory reset is an unreasonable expectation.

Can you imagine how users would feel if a MSFT bi-annual feature update (1809, 1903, 1909, etc) required that you did a full factory reset (clean install) on windows?

Message 31 of 177
thedak
Apprentice

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree.

PS - if windows "doesn't have a reset feature" you might want to check out this screen shot.

Ciao
Message 32 of 177
mike12384
Initiate

For what it's worth, I did the firmware upgrade to 2.5 earlier in the week, and after that my internet connection constantly dropped, ie every 5 minutes. Multiple devices had the same experience. I did the factory reset, and no improvement. 

So today, I manually reverted back to the 2.3 firmware version, and I can tell immediately that the problem has been resolved in that the internet connection has been very stable and normal dl speeds. 

Message 33 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a factory reset on the system after you updated? Mines been online and speeds are to spec since v38 was installed. 4 days and counting and no issues with speed. 200/10 wired and wireless. I factory reset mine after updaing FW and setting up from scratch. 

@mike12384 wrote:

For what it's worth, I did the firmware upgrade to 2.5 earlier in the week, and after that my internet connection constantly dropped, ie every 5 minutes. Multiple devices had the same experience. I did the factory reset, and no improvement. 

So today, I manually reverted back to the 2.3 firmware version, and I can tell immediately that the problem has been resolved in that the internet connection has been very stable and normal dl speeds. 

Message 34 of 177

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you separate the SSIDs? This isn't supported on any FW version.

Is there documentation that it is not supported? Considering we can telnet to the router and configure them that way, it seems unlikely that it wouldn't be a supported configuration.

Message 35 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

You can ask NG for your self if you like. 

@Fallen_Milkman wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you separate the SSIDs? This isn't supported on any FW version.

Is there documentation that it is not supported? Considering we can telnet to the router and configure them that way, it seems unlikely that it wouldn't be a supported configuration.

Message 36 of 177
porlockweir
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

'I'm using a Netgear DM200 - the second factory reset seems to have resolved this"

Is this modem in router or bridge mode? It should be bridged or running modem mode only. If not, this would be one reason why the Orbi could be having problems. 

It's in bridge mode, always has been, has never been set up as a router as was brought alongside the Orbi.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Ya I know about peoples configurations. However backup configurations to file can help here. First we need to get the modem and RBR setup and stable first. Lets leave IP reservations and access controls alone for now. Disabled. One step at a time. 

I tried loading a back-up, first, still had lots of problems.  I really don’t understand why anyone would think having to Factory reset your device every time there is an update is ok?  It’s not.

Also now have new bug – it disconnects from the internet every time a new device is added and has to be rebooted to reconnect.

Message 37 of 177
mtowle
Tutor

I have an RBR50 with one RBS50 satellite with a separate cable modem, and everything has been running smoothly until I upgraded to firmware version 2.5.0.38 yesterday.  Since then, my iPhone (11 Pro Max iOS version 13.2) has been experiencing intermittent loss of connectivity issues where it will just stop being able to connect to the Internet and requires a reboot to fix.  I noticed in my Orbi logs that it does seem to be doing DHCP requests quite often, but based on older posts, this seems to be normal behavior and shouldn't be an issue.  I replaced the last six digits of my MAC address with xx:

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.21] to MAC address 7c:a1:ae:xx:xx:xx, Wednesday, October 30, 2019 08:34:34

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.21] to MAC address 7c:a1:ae:xx:xx:xx, Wednesday, October 30, 2019 08:22:29

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.21] to MAC address 7c:a1:ae:xx:xx:xx, Wednesday, October 30, 2019 05:29:08

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.21] to MAC address 7c:a1:ae:xx:xx:xx, Wednesday, October 30, 2019 05:13:07

It appears that the DHCP requests are coming in after the phone wakes from sleep after it's been sitting idle for awhile.

My Macbook Pro laptops don't seem to have this issue.  Anyone else run into this?  Is Netgear aware of it and working on a fix?  Thanks!

Message 38 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

So a 2nd factory reset resolved your problems you were seeing? 

i agree that users shouldn't have too, however for these odd issues seen after a FW udpate, it maybe needed. I'd do another backup configuration to file after the reset and setup from scratch. So you have good clean backup. 

Enjoy. 

@porlockweir wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

'I'm using a Netgear DM200 - the second factory reset seems to have resolved this"

Is this modem in router or bridge mode? It should be bridged or running modem mode only. If not, this would be one reason why the Orbi could be having problems. 

It's in bridge mode, always has been, has never been set up as a router as was brought alongside the Orbi.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Ya I know about peoples configurations. However backup configurations to file can help here. First we need to get the modem and RBR setup and stable first. Lets leave IP reservations and access controls alone for now. Disabled. One step at a time. 

I tried loading a back-up, first, still had lots of problems.  I really don’t understand why anyone would think having to Factory reset your device every time there is an update is ok?  It’s not.

Also now have new bug – it disconnects from the internet every time a new device is added and has to be rebooted to reconnect.

Message 39 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard after doing a factory reset?

@mtowle wrote:

I have an RBR50 with one RBS50 satellite with a separate cable modem, and everything has been running smoothly until I upgraded to firmware version 2.5.0.38 yesterday.  Since then, my iPhone (11 Pro Max iOS version 13.2) has been experiencing intermittent loss of connectivity issues where it will just stop being able to connect to the Internet and requires a reboot to fix.  I noticed in my Orbi logs that it does seem to be doing DHCP requests quite often, but based on older posts, this seems to be normal behavior and shouldn't be an issue.  I replaced the last six digits of my MAC address with xx:

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.21] to MAC address 7c:a1:ae:xx:xx:xx, Wednesday, October 30, 2019 08:34:34

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.21] to MAC address 7c:a1:ae:xx:xx:xx, Wednesday, October 30, 2019 08:22:29

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.21] to MAC address 7c:a1:ae:xx:xx:xx, Wednesday, October 30, 2019 05:29:08

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.21] to MAC address 7c:a1:ae:xx:xx:xx, Wednesday, October 30, 2019 05:13:07

It appears that the DHCP requests are coming in after the phone wakes from sleep after it's been sitting idle for awhile.

My Macbook Pro laptops don't seem to have this issue.  Anyone else run into this?  Is Netgear aware of it and working on a fix?  Thanks!

Message 40 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

wow....I believe this has been covered.

Message 41 of 177
mtowle
Tutor

Off the top of my head, I don't know the make/model of the cable modem that I own, but nothing on it has changed, and other devices on my network aren't having the same problem of losing Internet connectivity, so I don't think it's a modem issue.  I haven't done a factory reset of the Orbi, and I cringe at the thought of doing that.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into the issue and if Netgear is aware of it.  Thanks!

Message 42 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

For some users, a reset and setup from scratch is needed. Others have post it has resolved there issues. 

Just checking to see if there is a router built in to the modem is all. 

I manually installed this v38 FW on my system, factory reset and setup from scratch. Other than a known device naming issue. System ran for a good solid week with ZERO issues. 

@mtowle wrote:

Off the top of my head, I don't know the make/model of the cable modem that I own, but nothing on it has changed, and other devices on my network aren't having the same problem of losing Internet connectivity, so I don't think it's a modem issue.  I haven't done a factory reset of the Orbi, and I cringe at the thought of doing that.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into the issue and if Netgear is aware of it.  Thanks!

Message 43 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mtowle wrote:

2.5.0.38 has issues.  Do a search.

Message 44 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For some users, a reset and setup from scratch is needed. Others have post it has resolved there issues. 

Just checking to see if there is a router built in to the modem is all. 

The real questions should be..."did your system work before the FW update?"

Message 45 of 177
mtowle
Tutor

Yes, my system worked before the Orbi firmware update.

Message 46 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mtowle wrote:

Yes, my system worked before the Orbi firmware update.

and you did the manual update because....??

Message 47 of 177
mtowle
Tutor

For security reasons.  In my opinion, it's always good to be running the latest firmware to get the latest security vulnerability fixes.  By the way, my cable modem does not have a built in router.  Thanks!

Message 48 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Yes latest FW is good and does work. Again, some users need to factory reset and setup form scratch. I would also power OFF the modem for 30 seconds as well while the RBR is being reset. This should help resolve your issues. After getting it setup again, do a backup configuration and save to file. This will save you time should a reset be needed later on down the road. 

@mtowle wrote:

For security reasons.  In my opinion, it's always good to be running the latest firmware to get the latest security vulnerability fixes.  By the way, my cable modem does not have a built in router.  Thanks!

Message 49 of 177
dnonnema
Aspirant

I bought mine in Sept, and had massive connectivity problems until a NG tech advised me to upgrade the FW.  once that was accomlished, all was good.

I was hesitant to upgrade again, but I upgraded to 2.5.0.38 last week without any problems.

Question how do I back up the configuration?  I have a feeling I will need to jump through hoops with the next FW update.

Message 50 of 177
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7