Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

bjornand1
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Perhaps that would help, but I fear what a factory reset involves. There are many settings, for ports, fixed ip addresses, etc. that would have to be set up again. I am getting pretty tired of these issues with the Orbis!

I see that my ISP sells Google WiFi, 3 units for the price of 2, I am seriously considering this, but I am unsure if they have any HomeKit or other issues to be aware of.

Message 76 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@bjornand1 wrote:

@FURRYe38 Perhaps that would help, but I fear what a factory reset involves. There are many settings, for ports, fixed ip addresses, etc. that would have to be set up again. I am getting pretty tired of these issues with the Orbis!

I see that my ISP sells Google WiFi, 3 units for the price of 2, I am seriously considering this, but I am unsure if they have any HomeKit or other issues to be aware of.

Just revert your firmware and leave it alone 

Message 77 of 177
bjornand1
Aspirant

@Orbiman2222 My problem was that even 2.5.30 was a disaster for HomeKit so even that would not help me.

Message 78 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

@bjornand1 

I fully understand the frustration of setting up from a factory reset. Many users have different configurations. Once thru the reset, users have to remember that there is the backup configuration to file. This saves time after doing a reset. The reset help clear out any lingering prior FW and mis-configurations. There may some new FW code that makes older FW code or configurations incompatible, thus a reset is needed. 

Factory reset is as last resort. however some users don't even give this a try. When users don't at least try this as a last resort and lest us know that they did, then it its frustrating for us, knowing that the reset has help us and others. 

Try the reset and when you get the system setup. Do a Backup of the configuration to file. This is a time saver. 

Message 79 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@bjornand1 

I fully understand the frustration of setting up from a factory reset. Many users have different configurations. Once thru the reset, users have to remember that there is the backup configuration to file. This saves time after doing a reset. The reset help clear out any lingering prior FW and mis-configurations. There may some new FW code that makes older FW code or configurations incompatible, thus a reset is needed. 

Try the reset and when you get the system setup. Do a Backup of the configuration to file. This is a time saver. 

Do you offer phone service?

Message 80 of 177
Alanandstaci
Aspirant

Ever since i updated, I have had issues with my wifi slowing way down, almost to 10 or 15 when I normally get near 300. Then I have to reboot and it works for a while. Then it happens again. Please help I have the RBR50 V2
Message 81 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Roll your firmware back to an eariler version and stop doing manual updates.

Message 82 of 177
Nixerr
Aspirant

I searched downloads for my RBK50 v2 system and the only firmware available to download is the dreaded v2.5.0.38. Can you provide a link to previous versions? I performed a complete reset of my Orbi system (as suggested) and the results arent much better, in fact it seems that the wireless range is not as good as it was prior to this latest firmware update and I have encountered some wifi blackspots in my house again. I need to get this back to a workable state, thank you.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 83 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If a earlier version is not available on the NG download area, I'm not sure where to look.  Maybe other can chime in.

Message 84 of 177
thedak
Apprentice

Go to the orbi (rbk50) download page and click on " previous versions.". They should all be there
Message 85 of 177
parostberg
Tutor

I have separate SSID through telenet. Doesn't work in the latest firmware. 

Why Netgear!

Message 86 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

@parostberg wrote:

I have separate SSID through telenet. Doesn't work in the latest firmware. 

Why Netgear!

Message 87 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

@Alanandstaci wrote:
Ever since i updated, I have had issues with my wifi slowing way down, almost to 10 or 15 when I normally get near 300. Then I have to reboot and it works for a while. Then it happens again. Please help I have the RBR50 V2

Message 88 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

@Alanandstaci wrote:

FYI...the OP is:  Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38 so why are you asking all of these of questions.  Just tell to them to revert their firmware.

Message 89 of 177
ryanaroha
Star

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? ... What channels are you using? Auto? ... Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? .. Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Alanandstaci wrote:

FYI...the OP is:  Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38 so why are you asking all of these of questions.  Just tell to them to revert their firmware.

Agreed. About 12 hours ago I finally did the downgrade to v2.3.5.30. First the satellite, then after I noticed no improvement, did the RBR as well. Since then I'm back to the way things have been for years -- i.e., my laptop hasn't dropped off the wifi a single time.

Message 90 of 177

Could anyone tell me how to downgrade?
I have downloaded the version before this one and tried to install this but it didnt downgrade eventually.

I did this on the website logged on to my orbi
Message 91 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Raymonddeniet wrote:
Could anyone tell me how to downgrade?
I have downloaded the version before this one and tried to install this but it didnt downgrade eventually.

I did this on the website logged on to my orbi

this may help:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 92 of 177
agneev
Aspirant

Any idea when the fix is coming? Been a while since the release of this buggy firmware. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 93 of 177
CrimpOn
Guru

I have not detected a "pattern" in Orbi firmware updates. 2.3.5.30 came out in (May? June?).  However, this one seems to have been such a "stinker" that a rework will show up sooner.  However, MY GUESS is that it still could be months.

Message 94 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

So, here's the pragmatic thought - my router works fine, as do my satellites.  So the 80 / 20 rule stands, i.e. does it fulfill 80% of my requirements.  My network is stable and all my peripherals work fine with no drops and outages, so I ask myself why get stressed over some icons and names.  Yes its annoying, inconvenient, not professional, bad QA, and more importantly for Netgear reputation damaging!!!

Absolutely a new firmware version will come along as per Netgear's release cycle, again probably not well QA'd, and may well address some of the issues / concerns and most likely introduce others.  So I am keeping a healthy cynicism and from now on will adopt an n-1 approach. 

Message 95 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MikeG63 wrote:

and while you're at it...STOP performing manual firmware updates....

Message 96 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Others are reporting v.38 working just fine. A reset seems to be key here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820500/hi...

Though its a last resort, a reset and setup from scratch does help to clear out any mis-configurations or lingering FW code from prior versions. I manually update FW which includes a reset and set up from scratch. Have not seen problems using this method for each FW update. Users are encouraged to make backup configurations to file as well. Helps save time if resets are needed. 

@MikeG63 wrote:

So, here's the pragmatic thought - my router works fine, as do my satellites.  So the 80 / 20 rule stands, i.e. does it fulfill 80% of my requirements.  My network is stable and all my peripherals work fine with no drops and outages, so I ask myself why get stressed over some icons and names.  Yes its annoying, inconvenient, not professional, bad QA, and more importantly for Netgear reputation damaging!!!

Absolutely a new firmware version will come along as per Netgear's release cycle, again probably not well QA'd, and may well address some of the issues / concerns and most likely introduce others.  So I am keeping a healthy cynicism and from now on will adopt an n-1 approach. 

Message 97 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Others are reporting v.38 working just fine. A reset seems to be key here:

Bad advice.....NG has reported that this firmware is the root of the problems discussed here.  WHY have people waste their time as you suggest?

Message 98 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

Couldn't agree more, in my case no reset was needed, just a router reboot after the upgrade.  All that is really required is good quality control and a good quality assurance play book / automated procedure.  Also STOP tinkering under the hood!

Message 99 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MikeG63 wrote:

Couldn't agree more, in my case no reset was needed, just a router reboot after the upgrade.  All that is really eeded is good quality control and a good quality assurance play book / automated procedure.  Also STOP tinkering under the hood!

Smart man.  Your network and peace of mind thanks you

Message 100 of 177
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7