Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

MikeG63
Apprentice

Indeed it does Smiley Very Happy

Message 101 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats good for you, glad your appart of the group that didn't need a reset. Some don't and yet there working on v.38. Others seem to need a reset and then things work:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820500/hi...

At each FW release there seems to be this mixed bag of users with issues and some that don't see issues after a update and some that do and need a reset. I do agree, NG needs to make the FW update more stablized and less automatic and more automated. 

I prefer the manual FW load and reset and setup from scratch. No problems with this method. This is my perference. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Speeds-have-plummeted-after-latest-update/m-p/1819282/highligh...

Enjoy. 

@MikeG63 wrote:

Couldn't agree more, in my case no reset was needed, just a router reboot after the upgrade.  All that is really required is good quality control and a good quality assurance play book / automated procedure.  Also STOP tinkering under the hood!

Message 102 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I reprefer the manual FW load and reset and setup from scratch. No problems with this method. 

But.....you've never explained why you would execute a manual update in the first place, especially if your network is working fine. 

Message 103 of 177
agneev
Aspirant

Not related to this topic but, does the satellite need to be in close range when setting up from scratch?

Message 104 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@agneev wrote:

Not related to this topic but, does the satellite need to be in close range when setting up from scratch?

Check here:  https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Watch the color on the Sat rim.  If it's magenta, then move it closer until there is NO color.  Might ake a couple of tries/re-boots.

Message 105 of 177
agneev
Aspirant

@Retired_Member After it finishes blinking white slowly, it turns blue for around a minute then off. That means its within proper range? I can reset the router and setup without bringing them close together then huh?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 106 of 177
agneev
Aspirant

Anyone else notice the icons here that look very specific and nice? Wonder if, and when we'll get them... This is from the App Store page fyi.

Message 107 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@agneev wrote:

@Retired_Member After it finishes blinking white slowly, it turns blue for around a minute then off. That means its within proper range? I can reset the router and setup without bringing them close together then huh?

IF the color on the Sat rim turns off (no color), you're good to go.

Message 108 of 177
dsc_dewain
Guide

Did the firmware get pulled.  Been monitoring forum, and when I checked for latest version on my orbi.  It says 2.3.5.30 is the latest now? No updated version available.

@MikeG63 wrote:

Indeed it does Smiley Very Happy

Message 109 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

Not aware that the firmware has been pulled.  It seems that this is quite common that the posted firmware version on the support pages doesn't appear until quite a while after the web admin page shows a new version is available.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 110 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

In my particular case yes for intially config, but not for subsequent router reboots if the app and admin page shows the service is 'good', i.e. green.  The lights on the top indicate the service range to the router for placement.

Message 111 of 177
dsc_dewain
Guide

No what I mean is Orbi has been telling me there is a newer firmware vesion 2.5.0.38,  I have downloaded it from support, but have not installed yet. Today my orbi is saying no new firmware available, and the latest is 2.3.5.30

Message 112 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dsc_dewain wrote:

No what I mean is Orbi has been telling me there is a newer firmware vesion 2.5.0.38,  I have downloaded it from support, but have not installed yet. Today my orbi is saying no new firmware available, and the latest is 2.3.5.30

Stop checking for firmware updates.  2.5.0.38 has numerous problems.

When there is a firmware with major revisions, NG will push it to all auto-pilot.

Message 113 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

Message 114 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OK....what am I looking for?

Message 115 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

Seriously, "What am I looking for?"

Netgear have updated their support admin pages with the latest firmware upgrades and pushed it out to their device web admin pages.  The upgrade , in my particular case, does not have numerous issues other than those related to the enhanced device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list and the ability to edit it.  The core funtionality has not been impacted as far as I can tell.

Message 116 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MikeG63 wrote:

Seriously, "What am I looking for?"

Netgear have updated their support admin pages with the latest firmware upgrades and pushed it out to their device web admin pages.  The upgrade , in my particular case, does not have numerous issues other than those related to the enhanced device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list and the ability to edit it.  The core funtionality has not been impacted as far as I can tell.

Seriously....nothing new here as far as I can tell.  All of this is basic upgrade procedures IF you choose to upgrade.  The additional info on 2.5.0.38 is nice, but of no concern to me for I don't do manual updates.

Message 117 of 177
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I likewise have experienced the device naming issue with the V2.5.0.38 firmware release.  The device names became completely messed up with the firmware update from V2.3.5.30.  I also reset to factory settings (both through the GUI and repeated with the reset button) and manually reprogrammed the router and found that I could not edit several of my devices model, name or type.  I have attempted to roll back to V2.3.5.30, but the router and satellites upgrade themselves again to the broken firmware when connected to the internet.

It is very disappointing that a company like Netgear continues to release buggy firmware on the Orbi hardware.

Message 118 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of the naming device issue. Its nothing critical so if your bothered by this, you can down grade and wait for next FW update. 

@tomschmidt wrote:

I likewise have experienced the device naming issue with the V2.5.0.38 firmware release.  The device names became completely messed up with the firmware update from V2.3.5.30.  I also reset to factory settings (both through the GUI and repeated with the reset button) and manually reprogrammed the router and found that I could not edit several of my devices model, name or type.  I have attempted to roll back to V2.3.5.30, but the router and satellites upgrade themselves again to the broken firmware when connected to the internet.

It is very disappointing that a company like Netgear continues to release buggy firmware on the Orbi hardware.

Message 119 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG is aware of the naming device issue. Its nothing critical so if your bothered by this, you can down grade and wait for next FW update

NG is aware of the naming device issue. You can down grade and wait for next AUTO PUSHED FW update. 

Message 120 of 177
wchp
Luminary

Without getting into all the things to try I am just posting this an observed performance change.

On a 2018 Macbook Pro on Firmware V 2.5.0.38 I am experiencing ½ to ¼(or less) the 802.11AC throughput vs. the previous version of firmware.

460-585 mps on 2.3.5.30 from Mac OS wifi details and 520/41.2 from Speedtest app

40-180 mbps on 2.5.0.38from Mac OS wifi details and 86/23.9 from Speedtest app

Observed using WiFi details AND WiFi explorer.

Both observations on WiFi Explorer show Chan 48, 90% signal strength, SNR 54dB readings with both versions of firmware.

Laptop and Router locations unchanged.

Tried everything except factory reset/paper clip simply because I dont want to and dont feel I should need to with a public firmware release (with beta firmware versions this is a given that a factory reset is done)

Of note (if it makes any difference) I am running the Armor protection on the RBR (for both tests).

Have reverted back to 2.3.5.30 and will wait for next rev of FW.

Message 121 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

I saw not speed issues or slower operation with v38 loaded. Though I and others do factory resets. v38 works. 

Something to at least try as maybe the next FW update will not fix your experiences. Reset maybe needed. Works for others.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820500/hi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820477/hi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Speeds-have-plummeted-after-latest-update/m-p/1819282/highligh...

Good Luck. 

@wchp wrote:

Without getting into all the things to try I am just posting this an observed performance change.

On a 2018 Macbook Pro on Firmware V 2.5.0.38 I am experiencing ½ to ¼(or less) the 802.11AC throughput vs. the previous version of firmware.

460-585 mps on 2.3.5.30 from Mac OS wifi details and 520/41.2 from Speedtest app

40-180 mbps on 2.5.0.38from Mac OS wifi details and 86/23.9 from Speedtest app

Observed using WiFi details AND WiFi explorer.

Both observations on WiFi Explorer show Chan 48, 90% signal strength, SNR 54dB readings with both versions of firmware.

Laptop and Router locations unchanged.

Tried everything except factory reset/paper clip simply because I dont want to and dont feel I should need to with a public firmware release (with beta firmware versions this is a given that a factory reset is done)

Of note (if it makes any difference) I am running the Armor protection on the RBR (for both tests).

Have reverted back to 2.3.5.30 and will wait for next rev of FW.

Message 122 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

v38 works. ....

why do you keep saying this?

Message 123 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

v38 works. ....

why do you keep saying this?

Probably because it does with the exception of a couple of minor glitches.

Message 124 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MikeG63 wrote:

Probably because it does with the exception of a couple of minor glitches.

My search results prove otherwise....a glitch is a non-necessary glitch to a working network

Message 125 of 177
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7