Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

FURRYe38
Guru

Only glitch being the device naming problem. Otherwise, v38 works very well for me. And others. 

@MikeG63 wrote:
Probably because it does with the exception of a couple of minor glitches.

Message 126 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Only glitch being the device naming problem. Otherwise, v38 works very well for me. And others. 

and others....?  Who are these others????

Message 127 of 177
wchp
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

and others....?  Who are these others????

I was trying to thread the middle here. I am a beta tester for netgear products and a hard reset between firmware revs is expected and required to fully test each rev as it is introduced. I consider the RBK53 system I use to be the consumer standard that is a great compromise between throughput and coverage. This is the first time in over a year that any of the Orbi public firmware updates have introduced an actual performance issue and not just a GUI or convience/feature issue. It is NOT that I cant do a factory reset, I just dont want to and dont think a public consumer should be expected to. Never mind how many people actually notice, and then know enough to come to the forums to research it and then read all the posts and seperate the salt from the boiling water. Most people here come becuase they 1) realize they have an issue 2) know enough to read the forums 3) take the time to read through a thread like this in its entirety  4) are willing to put in the work to correct a potential issue that a avg. user would not have any inclination or interest in performing. 

It is not that I cant do a factory reset to see if it corrects the issues I am seeing (which includes device lists and other niggly's) It is just that I treat this system as if I was a oblivious consumer that just thinks and expects it to work. So... I wont do a factory reset. The new firmware release notes do not specifically list any serious vunerabilities or performance issues that effect my specific implimentation. User defined channels, annotated devices list or actual MU-MIMO reality that most household clients are oblivious of the standard, etc. I respect that a hard factory reset and manual reconfiguration from scratch MAY fix my observed issues, but dont think I should need to (in the role of a new user). I honestly think that those of us that post here are the exceptions rather than the norm and I simply choose to report what I am experiencing with my hardware in hopes that Netgear follows these threads to a degree to help ID issues and improve their product. Doubtful many if almost any know how to find hidden pages in firmware and play with settings Netgear did not make public and may or may not work. So, Fury, glad you have things sorted and thanks for presenting a potential resolution, Netgear, hope you read this, Others, revert to prev version (2.3.5.30?) and you can find it on the RBK50 support page (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download under "Previous Versions" and plug along like most of the folks that dont know this forum exists. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 128 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

And stop performing manual firmware updates
Message 129 of 177
wchp
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

VAJim,

I tried updating to the newest rev both using the "automagical" auto update button and then reverted and then tried updating manually by downloading the newest firmware and doing the Satalites first and then the Router. I expected no difference and found none, but just tried it anyway for the sake of giggles.

After the updates I did do a hard power off/on after they came up with .38 but that was the extent of the effort I was willing to put forth. 

Most settings in my config are manual and customized and I have a very eclectic mix of IoT devices to go along with my peak of 67 devices.

Even if I do a hard reset it may or may not resolve the issue I am observing on my hardware in my environment. 

p.s. AND I should have tested on both a wired and wireless connection to the router and substituted a different cable modem to rule out those variables, but again, I am pretending I am a happy homeowner user so only reporting and testing as such.

Message 130 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@wchp wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

VAJim,

I tried updating to the newest rev both using the "automagical" auto update button and then reverted and then tried updating manually by downloading the newest firmware and doing the Satalites first and then the Router.

Here's what I have in mind:

Manual updates = user does it.  Either by 'clicking' on the update at the router loging screen (after seeing that there is an update)...or.....downloading from the 'download' area of the NG website, usually in an effort to fix a problem (how did that happen).

Automaticallly = user does nothing.  NG pushes the firmware.  Usually in the case of a major revision.  I suspect this would also include security issues that I keep hearing a frantic call about from posts here.

Bottom line...once your network is running, leave it alone.  

Message 131 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

You should try a factory reset and setup from scratch. Some as a last resort. Some of us don't see problems like you do. 

@wchp wrote:

I tried updating to the newest rev both using the "automagical" auto update button and then reverted and then tried updating manually by downloading the newest firmware and doing the Satalites first and then the Router. I expected no difference and found none, but just tried it anyway for the sake of giggles.

After the updates I did do a hard power off/on after they came up with .38 but that was the extent of the effort I was willing to put forth. 

Most settings in my config are manual and customized and I have a very eclectic mix of IoT devices to go along with my peak of 67 devices.

Even if I do a hard reset it may or may not resolve the issue I am observing on my hardware in my environment. 

p.s. AND I should have tested on both a wired and wireless connection to the router and substituted a different cable modem to rule out those variables, but again, I am pretending I am a happy homeowner user so only reporting and testing as such.

Message 132 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You should try a factory reset and setup from scratch. Some as a last resort. Some of us don't see problems like you do. 

Factory reset is for lost password

Message 133 of 177
Gregron
Star

Can we all vote to have this @FURRYe38 stop posting. 99% of his posts are "I'm not having any problems so you shouldn't either." Quite possibly the most unhelpful person I've ever seen. He's like those people who answer Amazon questions with "I don't know"

Message 134 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Why certainly, you can contact NG and let them know what you feel. I post as I see fit. I report only to them. 

Good Luck. 

@Gregron wrote:

Can we all vote to have this @FURRYe38 stop posting. 99% of his posts are "I'm not having any problems so you shouldn't either." Quite possibly the most unhelpful person I've ever seen. He's like those people who answer Amazon questions with "I don't know"

Message 135 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Gregron wrote:

He lives on the edge.  All others see him as difficult 

Message 136 of 177
Wire1852
Apprentice

So let me get this right. Firmware 2.5.0.40 is a hot fix specifically for the https security issue that @FURRYe38 told us months ago would be fixed in a future release because they couldn't do a release for just a single issue.

Good to know.Smiley Mad

BTW How do you know if auto-update is actually turned off or on? At this point I don't believe anything without verification. And there doen't appear to be any indication on the interface to show the status.

Message 137 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Wire1852 wrote:

So let me get this right. Firmware 2.5.0.40 is a hot fix specifically for the https security issue that @FURRYe38 told us months ago would be fixed in a future release because they couldn't do a release for just a single issue.

Good to know.Smiley Mad

BTW How do you know if auto-update is actually turned off or on? At this point I don't believe anything without verification. And there doen't appear to be any indication on the interface to show the status.

If you turn off auto updates, then what happens?

Message 138 of 177
Wire1852
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

If you turn off auto updates, then what happens?

I don't see a way on the web interface to either turn on/off the automated updates or to check to see if the automated update feature is on/operational.  There is an online feature that tells if updates are available and a manual update feature.

So is it real or not? If it automatically installs how are you notified that an update occurred? Or are you notified? I had the Orbi system since April 2019 & I don't remember  seeing an auto update message or notice.

Message 139 of 177
wchp
Luminary

@wchp wrote:

On a 2018 Macbook Pro on Firmware V 2.5.0.38 I am experiencing ½ to ¼(or less) the 802.11AC throughput vs. the previous version of firmware.

460-585 mps on 2.3.5.30 from Mac OS wifi details and 520/41.2 from Speedtest app

40-180 mbps on 2.5.0.38from Mac OS wifi details and 86/23.9 from Speedtest app

Observed using WiFi details AND WiFi explorer.

Both observations on WiFi Explorer show Chan 48, 90% signal strength, SNR 54dB readings with both versions of firmware.

Laptop and Router locations unchanged.

Tried everything except factory reset/paper clip simply because I dont want to and dont feel I should need to with a public firmware release (with beta firmware versions this is a given that a factory reset is done)

Of note (if it makes any difference) I am running the Armor protection on the RBR (for both tests).

Have reverted back to 2.3.5.30 and will wait for next rev of FW.

OK... finally decided to give a hard reset a try.

1) Upgraded from 2.3.5.30 to 2.5.0.38 (Tested and till same speed issue)

2) Applied Hotfix 2.5.0.40 (tested and still same speed issue)

AND STILL exactly the same problem.

3) Paperclip reset the router and both Satallites from scratch

Exact same problem still as listed above making NO changes to the factory config other than the firmware rev.

4) Manually entered my standard config.

Still:

"460-585 mps on 2.3.5.30 from Mac OS wifi details and 520/41.2 from Speedtest app

40-180 mbps on 2.5.0.38from Mac OS wifi details and 86/23.9 from Speedtest app"

SO... went to Costco and purchased a brand new RBK53S system

1) Upgraded from 2.3.5.xx (firmware it shipped with) to 2.5.0.38

2) Applied Hotfix 2.5.0.40

3) Tested WiFi speed and same poor performance on new system as my old one.

3) Downgraded the NEW RBK53S system to 2.3.5.30 AND... silly thing, WiFi speeds and connectivity back to normal.

I dont see a hard reset resolving the performance issues that are presenting themselves in my environment (CM-1100 --> RBK53)

with either my 1 year old RBK53 or a brand new RBK53S

I dont have PC or Android devices to test with but the WiFi slowdown is significant on my 2018 Mackbook Pro and iPhone Xs.

Message 140 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for trying the reset and letting us know. 

Keep what works for you loaded. 

@wchp wrote:

@wchp wrote:

On a 2018 Macbook Pro on Firmware V 2.5.0.38 I am experiencing ½ to ¼(or less) the 802.11AC throughput vs. the previous version of firmware.

460-585 mps on 2.3.5.30 from Mac OS wifi details and 520/41.2 from Speedtest app

40-180 mbps on 2.5.0.38from Mac OS wifi details and 86/23.9 from Speedtest app

Observed using WiFi details AND WiFi explorer.

Both observations on WiFi Explorer show Chan 48, 90% signal strength, SNR 54dB readings with both versions of firmware.

Laptop and Router locations unchanged.

Tried everything except factory reset/paper clip simply because I dont want to and dont feel I should need to with a public firmware release (with beta firmware versions this is a given that a factory reset is done)

Of note (if it makes any difference) I am running the Armor protection on the RBR (for both tests).

Have reverted back to 2.3.5.30 and will wait for next rev of FW.

OK... finally decided to give a hard reset a try.

1) Upgraded from 2.3.5.30 to 2.5.0.38 (Tested and till same speed issue)

2) Applied Hotfix 2.5.0.40 (tested and still same speed issue)

AND STILL exactly the same problem.

3) Paperclip reset the router and both Satallites from scratch

Exact same problem still as listed above making NO changes to the factory config other than the firmware rev.

4) Manually entered my standard config.

Still:

"460-585 mps on 2.3.5.30 from Mac OS wifi details and 520/41.2 from Speedtest app

40-180 mbps on 2.5.0.38from Mac OS wifi details and 86/23.9 from Speedtest app"

SO... went to Costco and purchased a brand new RBK53S system

1) Upgraded from 2.3.5.xx (firmware it shipped with) to 2.5.0.38

2) Applied Hotfix 2.5.0.40

3) Tested WiFi speed and same poor performance on new system as my old one.

3) Downgraded the NEW RBK53S system to 2.3.5.30 AND... silly thing, WiFi speeds and connectivity back to normal.

I dont see a hard reset resolving the performance issues that are presenting themselves in my environment (CM-1100 --> RBK53)

with either my 1 year old RBK53 or a brand new RBK53S

I dont have PC or Android devices to test with but the WiFi slowdown is significant on my 2018 Mackbook Pro and iPhone Xs.

Message 141 of 177
Liverpoolfcfan
Aspirant

I had the same issue. All devices connected to the Orbi are not working even after resetting, setting the ssid through config command.

Does NetGear have a way to revert the firmware upgrade ?
Message 142 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Liverpoolfcfan wrote:

Does NetGear have a way to revert the firmware upgrade ?

You can try going to the download page and enter your Orbi model number

Message 143 of 177
tkrdhd
Guide

Except it doesn't enhance the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list. It completey screws them all up, randomly assigns mismatching device icons, and doesnt allow you to change/update them. It also will now only assign 1 or 2 out of 27 devices to my Satellite and had devices like Nest cameras that require high broadband assigned to 2.4g instead of 5g. Then they wont even let you contact them find a fix! I can't use my iphone now in my bedroom with my satellite 15ft away in the same room (no walls) and router directly across the hall!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 144 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried v40 FW update. A few others have said this has fixed there device naming issue. Something to try. I would factory reset the the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch and see if this works for you. If not, revert back to v30. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@tkrdhd wrote:

Except it doesn't enhance the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list. It completey screws them all up, randomly assigns mismatching device icons, and doesnt allow you to change/update them. It also will now only assign 1 or 2 out of 27 devices to my Satellite and had devices like Nest cameras that require high broadband assigned to 2.4g instead of 5g. Then they wont even let you contact them find a fix! I can't use my iphone now in my bedroom with my satellite 15ft away in the same room (no walls) and router directly across the hall!

Message 145 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tkrdhd wrote:

................. I can't use my iphone now in my bedroom with my satellite 15ft away in the same room (no walls) and router directly across the hall!

wow....you do know that unless you live n the moon, you can shift your iphone over to the celluar tower transmission while you trouble shoot your Orbi?  Smiley Happy

Message 146 of 177
tkrdhd
Guide

@Retired_Member It’s been over a month and they’ve done nothing. There’s no troubleshooting to be done...this all became an issue when the router automatically updated to this new **bleep**ty, untested buggy FW. I didn’t spend $350 on a router system only to have to burn thru my data on my phone plan. I don’t mean to be an @ss, but that’s just a stupid response. Why are you so hard up to place blame everywhere but where it’s due? NG got their money and now they simply don’t give a **bleep**.
Message 147 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tkrdhd wrote:
@Retired_MemberIt’s been over a month and they’ve done nothing. There’s no troubleshooting to be done...this all became an issue when the router automatically updated to this new **bleep**ty, untested buggy FW. I didn’t spend $350 on a router system only to have to burn thru my data on my phone plan. I don’t mean to be an @ss, but that’s just a stupid response. Why are you so hard up to place blame everywhere but where it’s due? NG got their money and now they simply don’t give a **bleep**.

In your excitement you're not understanding me.  I personally don't care who you blame.  I myself have no concern for blame for my network is working.  If there was a problem I'm not sure blaming NG, myself, or even you would fix things any faster.  

My position over several posting have been to alert users to NOT manually download firmware IF your network is working fine. Trust me I've heard from dozens of users who just had to click/install the new firmware because it was available, only to find that it crashed their network.

In your case, if it was working fine and NG pushed it on your with no action by you, then go ahead blame NG.

Feel better?

Message 148 of 177
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I rolled back my firmware to V2.3.5.30 on both the router and the satellites and now my device names are correct and I am able to edit them again.  I did not do a factory reset for the rollback from V2.5.0.40, as it would take hours to get all the setting back to what I need for the router configuration.

When I first encountered this issue with V2.5.0.38, I did attempt a rollback to V2.3.5.30, but the router and satellites once again automatically updated itself to the broken V2.5.0.38.  Apparently after multiple users reported these issues with the release, NG removed it from their autoupdate.

How do we prevent NG from autoupdating the firmware? I do not see any option in the GUI to disable this.

I still have my ticket open with NG to fix this issue with the V2.5.X releases, but they cannot tell me when it will be fixed.  They keep claiming that they cannot duplicate the issue. I have even sent them a video of the bug.

Tom

Message 149 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset and setup from scratch should have been tried as a last resort when applying v40. A few have posted v40 seems to have solved the device naming issue. Thought this doesn't fix v38 as this is where the problem started and confirmed. If v40 doesn't work after a factroy reset and setup from scratch, users will need to revert back to v30 and wait for NG to fully fix this problem. NG doesn't post information on when new FW updates are forth coming. So users will need to keep an eye on the download page or here in the forums. 

Message 150 of 177
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7