Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

Navigate to the RBRs web page and select Advaced tab/Administration/Backup Settings. Click on the back up button. This generates a backup file. Move this to a safe place. 

@dnonnema wrote:

I bought mine in Sept, and had massive connectivity problems until a NG tech advised me to upgrade the FW.  once that was accomlished, all was good.

I was hesitant to upgrade again, but I upgraded to 2.5.0.38 last week without any problems.

Question how do I back up the configuration?  I have a feeling I will need to jump through hoops with the next FW update.

Message 51 of 177
mtowle
Tutor

One other thing I noticed is my phone updated its firmware to iOS 13.2 very recently, so there are two variables here (iOS and Orbi firmware updates).  I did a "forget this network" on my phone and then joined again.  I'll update this post in a couple days to let everyone know if that solved the issue or if it's still occurring.  I'll also take a look at my wife's iPhone to see if it's having the same problem and what firmware version it's running.  Thanks.

Message 52 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mtowle wrote:

For security reasons.  In my opinion, it's always good to be running the latest firmware to get the latest security vulnerability fixes.  By the way, my cable modem does not have a built in router.  Thanks!

This is true IF the latest FW contains security vulnerability fixes.  READ the release notes.

Message 53 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

@mtowle wrote:

One other thing I noticed is my phone updated its firmware to iOS 13.2 very recently, so there are two variables here (iOS and Orbi firmware updates).  I did a "forget this network" on my phone and then joined again.  I'll update this post in a couple days to let everyone know if that solved the issue or if it's still occurring.  I'll also take a look at my wife's iPhone to see if it's having the same problem and what firmware version it's running.  Thanks.

I updated to iOS 13.2 as well. I haven't see to many issues. Mostly with other applications and devices I have with other Mfrs. 

Message 54 of 177
mtowle
Tutor

It's been my experience that some, but not all, manufacturers don't include all security vulnerability fix info in their release notes.  Not sure if Netgear fits into this category or not, so I make it a habit of upgrading on a semi-regular basis.  I'd rather deal with come minor issues rather than have my network or devices hacked.  Just my two cents...

Message 55 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mtowle wrote:

It's been my experience that some, but not all, manufacturers don't include all security vulnerability fix info in their release notes.  Not sure if Netgear fits into this category or not, so I make it a habit of upgrading on a semi-regular basis.  I'd rather deal with come minor issues rather that have my network or devices hacked.  Just my two cents...

From what I understand, NG will push FW updates automatcially IF they contain major revisions.  Major as in you need this.  All others are for those who live on the edge.

Message 56 of 177

Is there a way to downgrade FW to the previous version and wait until there will be a fix?

Waiting for the next FW upgrade, will that solve the problem?

Message 57 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Raymonddeniet wrote:

Is there a way to downgrade FW to the previous version and wait until there will be a fix?

Waiting for the next FW upgrade, will that solve the problem?

You can visit the 'download' area for your equipment to see what's available.

Waiting is always an option, that would be entirely up to you.

Message 58 of 177
Tchalk
Aspirant

Just checking to see if anything is gotten fixed so I can update my firmware
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 59 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the release notes. It will list what is in v38. 

There is a known issue with naming of devices on v38. NG is aware of this. 

I manually updated my RBK50 and factory reset and setup from scratch. No problems seen side the device naming problem. You don't have to update if you don't want to as well. Up to you. 

@Tchalk wrote:

Message 60 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Tchalk wrote:

Revert back or suffer.  Once fixed STOP doing manual updates.

Message 61 of 177
webbo73
Initiate

I had the same problems as others have posted in this thread, so downgraded back to 2.3 manually.  I did the satellites first and then the router.  Seems ok so far and connectivity back to how it was before.

Message 62 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time, try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS after upgrading FW if you see problems after a FW update as a last resort. Others have had good operation after a reset of the system.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1818889/hi...

Mine ran solid for over 5 days with out issues aside the device naming issue.

@webbo73 wrote:

I had the same problems as others have posted in this thread, so downgraded back to 2.3 manually.  I did the satellites first and then the router.  Seems ok so far and connectivity back to how it was before.

Message 63 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Next time, try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS after upgrading FW if you see problems after a FW update as a last resort. Others have had good operation after a reset of the system.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1818889/hi...

@webbo73 wrote:

wow....I'm sure the OP hopes there is NO next time.

Message 64 of 177
Buffdave
Aspirant

This software bug or whatever the hell it is ruined my week.  Last netgear router that I will buy. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1818889/highlight/true#M74523

@webbo73 wrote:

wow....I'm sure the OP hopes there is NO next time.

Message 65 of 177
Nixerr
Aspirant

Having terrible connectivity problems since this FW upgrade as well as the device naming bug. Going to have to (reluctantly) reset orbi system according to this thread. Disappointed to say the least. Suggest that when updates are realised for the system that it should state 'Optional' together with a caveat notice. (Frustrated user)

Message 66 of 177
bjornand1
Aspirant

My issue with the Orbis is that after iOS13, HomeKit has been extremely buggy, with devices constantly cycling between updating and no response, only occassionally actually working. When I saw Firmware Update 2.5.0.38 with fix for HomeKit issues, I truly hoped it would fix my problems (like an update a couple of years ago did), but if anything, there is only a slight improvement. Especially my iPhone will take forever to get an updated device status, with the iPad/Macs being somewhat faster.

Is there anything that can be tweaked on my end, or is the answer simply to get a different mesh system?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 67 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Nixerr wrote:

Suggest that when updates are realised for the system that it should state 'Optional' together with a caveat notice. (Frustrated user)

Or better yet.....DON'T upgrade.

Message 68 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@bjornand1 wrote:

My issue with the Orbis is that after iOS13, HomeKit has been extremely buggy, with devices constantly cycling between updating and no response, only occassionally actually working. When I saw Firmware Update 2.5.0.38 with fix for HomeKit issues, I truly hoped it would fix my problems (like an update a couple of years ago did), but if anything, there is only a slight improvement. Especially my iPhone will take forever to get an updated device status, with the iPad/Macs being somewhat faster.

Is there anything that can be tweaked on my end, or is the answer simply to get a different mesh system?

Try to revert back to an eariler firmware version

Message 69 of 177
bjornand1
Aspirant

@Retired_Member That could be an option, would anyone know which FW version is stable with HomeKit?

Message 70 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@bjornand1 wrote:

@Retired_Member That could be an option, would anyone know which FW version is stable with HomeKit?

Think back to the last time your system was running OK.  If not, it's a crap shoot, in going back.  Good luck.

Message 71 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried a facory reset and setup from scratch? Others have v38 working:

Mine was solid for more than 5 days after updating and resetting. No issues other than the device naming issue. 

Try a reset. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

@Nixerr wrote:

Having terrible connectivity problems since this FW upgrade as well as the device naming bug. Going to have to (reluctantly) reset orbi system according to this thread. Disappointed to say the least. Suggest that when updates are realised for the system that it should state 'Optional' together with a caveat notice. (Frustrated user)

Message 72 of 177
Orbiman2222
Aspirant

This update is nothing but a headache. Named devices fall off and it is breaking my HomeKit devices. Would like to roll back to 2.5.30
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 73 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset as a last resort. If this fails, you can downgrade. NG is ware of this issue after we confirmed it. This doesn't effect other operations. 

@Orbiman2222 wrote:
This update is nothing but a headache. Named devices fall off and it is breaking my HomeKit devices. Would like to roll back to 2.5.30

Message 74 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a factory reset as a last resort. If this fails, you can downgrade. NG is ware of this issue after we confirmed it. This doesn't effect other operations. 

@Orbiman2222 wrote:

Yes as a last resort 

Message 75 of 177
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7