Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware Won't Update on Satellite.

brh
Master
Master

Orbi Firmware Won't Update on Satellite.

I recently purchased the Orbi RBR40 router and one RBS40 satellite. Everything worked just fine and the Firmware on both devices was up to date. Yesterday I added an additional RBS40 satellite and everything is working fine. But later I rebooted my system and the new satellite is still on the newest firmware,  V2.1.4.10, but the original satellite that came with the system reverted back to V2.0.0.56. For the life of me I can not update the firmware back to the latest version. If Netgear will automatically update it in a few days, I don't have a problem with that, because everything is working. But, it is annoying. I have read all the posts that say I need to manually downgrade the firmware on the router, but I only see the option to do that on the satellites, not the router. When I try to update just the one satellite, it won't accept my login credentials. Any ideas would be appreciated and when I try to upload the correct img file it tells me I have the wrong version. I'm not ready to call Support yet.

Brian

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset ON the satellite, push in the reset button for 10-15 seconcs until the top LED changes to a yellowish color, then let go. Use the routers UI or sync button and re-add the Satellite using it's sync button.

After you get it re-added, check the routers connected clients list, you should see the satellite there. Look for it's IP address. Use this IP address to connect to this satellite. If the sync was successful, the satellite should have aquired the same log in info as the routers log in info...Try this at the satellite. If you can get in, then try updating FW manually.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try connecting a ethernet connected laptop or PC to the back of the new satellite, have the FW file downloaded to this PC and use IE11 or FF browser to log into the satellites IP address and update the FW directly to the Satellite with the PC.

Message 2 of 6
brh
Master
Master

@FURRYe38

Thanks for the fast reply. I have tried to login using both browsers you mentioned and in Chrome but it still won't accept my login credentials just like in the Orbilogin.com. I tried my password and the password on the bottom of my router and satellite to no avail. Says I am unauthoried.

Brian

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset ON the satellite, push in the reset button for 10-15 seconcs until the top LED changes to a yellowish color, then let go. Use the routers UI or sync button and re-add the Satellite using it's sync button.

After you get it re-added, check the routers connected clients list, you should see the satellite there. Look for it's IP address. Use this IP address to connect to this satellite. If the sync was successful, the satellite should have aquired the same log in info as the routers log in info...Try this at the satellite. If you can get in, then try updating FW manually.

Message 4 of 6
brh
Master
Master

@FURRYe38

Wow! What a PITA, but the upgrade finally worked after rebooting the satellite. First I tried upgrading the firmware in Orbilogin, but the download failed to install, so I went into Firefox and was able to login to the satellite finally. It took a while, but I was able to upload the img file and install it.

Thanks again for your help! I usually hang out over at the Arlo Community website as I own a lot of Arlo cameras.

Brian

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working and updated.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7