Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware issue

Blay
Tutor

Orbi Firmware issue

Just got off the telephone with Spectrum technical support.  Last night they found the latest firmware release for Orbi is preventing live streaming from working on their Roku app.  They said the issue is not limited to Spectrum app.  Other cable providers are seeing the same issue.  They suggest rolling back to previous Orbi firmware version.  How do I do this?  I have been unable use Spectrum Roku app for the past several days.

Message 1 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

To manually install firmware, go to the support web page for the model of Orbi that you have, click on "Downloads", then on the "plus sign" for "Previous Firmware.  Select the version you want to install and download the files for router and satellite.  Unpack them ("unzip").  Then go to the web page of the satellite and select "Firmware Update".  Then to the web page of the router, Advanced Tab->Administration->Firmware Update, and select "Manual Update".

So, you updated firmware in your Orbi at the time this issue came up?

Not that I doubt the tech support folks at Spectrum, but I struggle to grasp how a change in Orbi firmware will cause a Spectrum application to quit working.  Have you activated Disney Circle or Armor on the Orbi?

Message 2 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

Thought it would be fun to Google "Spectrum Orbi Roku".  First thing that popped up was this:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Spectrum-Channel-Freezes/td-p/537140/page/2 

Message 3 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version do you have loaded? 

What is the Mfr and model # of your ISP modem? 

Message 4 of 33
Blay
Tutor

I am using an Orbi RBR50 with Firmware version 2.3.5.30.  I am running Armor on the Orb.  The Spectrm cable modem is a E31U2V1.  The H/W version is 2.72.3.

Message 5 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable Armor?

Also there is FW v2.5.1.8 which is released and stable. 

@Blay wrote:

I am using an Orbi RBR50 with Firmware version 2.3.5.30.  I am running Armor on the Orb.  The Spectrm cable modem is a E31U2V1.  The H/W version is 2.72.3.

Message 6 of 33
Blay
Tutor

I successfully upgraded the Orbi RBR50 firmware to version 2.5.1.8.  The newer firmware did not make any difference.  The video on the Specturm app running on the Roku Streaming Stick + continues to freeze within 10 seconds.  I let Spectrum know.  Their advice is to ensure the Roku device is running on the 5G not the 2.4G network (which it is).  They also suggested to make changes to the Orbi setup configuration so it is optimized for video streaming.  I went into orbilogin.com to look for any type of QoS settings but I did not see anything.  The RBR50 is set for router not for AP mode.  Any suggestions?

Message 7 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

By chance do you have any other way to stream besides the Spectrum app?  A lot of modern televisions have streaming built into the set.  My Tivo can stream Netflix, Amazon, and several others.  That raises a good question: what is the Spectrum Streaming App a part of?  The Spectrum set top box?  An app run on a PC, laptop, smartphone?

It would also be interesting to disable Armor temporariy and see if that makes any difference.

Message 8 of 33
Blay
Tutor

Yes, I use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and Tablo all being delivered through the Roku devices.   All of these other streaming services are working well.  I did disable Armor, it did not make a difference.  Last night I performed a factory reset on my Orbi RBR50.  The factory reset did not make a difference either.  I have a large number of devices on my Orbi WiFi network.  My computers, iPads, Roombas, Arlo Pro 2 cameras, Ecobee thermostats, etc. all are working well.  The only issue is with the Spectrum app on the Roku devices.  The live stream and On Demand service freezes in less than 10 seconds on all channels.  Upgrading the firmware on the Orbi did not make a difference either.

Message 9 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for reporting the situation.  Does seem to sharpen the focus to the Spectrum App on Roku.  Every other mechanism for streaming works as expected, but the one app does not.  Since Spectrum is not being responsive, perhaps Roku can offer support?  I have Spectrum and have found that I get a wide range of expertise when I call tech support.  Perhaps you might "get lucky" with another call?

Message 10 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF ALL other wifi devices temporarily and then attempt to stream from this app on your Ruku device.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Blay wrote:

Yes, I use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and Tablo all being delivered through the Roku devices.   All of these other streaming services are working well.  I did disable Armor, it did not make a difference.  Last night I performed a factory reset on my Orbi RBR50.  The factory reset did not make a difference either.  I have a large number of devices on my Orbi WiFi network.  My computers, iPads, Roombas, Arlo Pro 2 cameras, Ecobee thermostats, etc. all are working well.  The only issue is with the Spectrum app on the Roku devices.  The live stream and On Demand service freezes in less than 10 seconds on all channels.  Upgrading the firmware on the Orbi did not make a difference either.

Message 11 of 33
Wedge80
Aspirant

I spoke with an Spectrum App agent this morning. He stated that the problem was with Netgear/Orbi. I told him that nothing had been updated on my Orbi and I do not use Armor, every app works except for Spectrum. He then stated that Spectrum is a live feed and that Netgear has a problem with live feed. I replied that I can live stream a game on NHL Tv, ESPN, Fox Sports etc. and there is no problem. His reply to that was those apps aren't a live feed. He then stated that Spectrum had reached out to Netgear and that Netgear had refused to help with the problem. His next advice was to hard wire from the router to the Roku and that would prove that the problem was the Netgear. My reply was No, that only confirms that there is a problem between Netgear and the Spectrum App, it doesn't eliminate either device as the cause. From reading in the Roku community on this problem, one person stated that Spectrum was releasing a new version of their app on 2/9. The Spectrum person I talked didn't tell me anything about that. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open up a support ticket and let NG know about this. This is something NG will need to review and address as there is nothing we can do here in the forums.

@Blanca_O 

@DexterJB 

Thanks for letting us know.

Good Luck. 

@Wedge80 wrote:

I spoke with an Spectrum App agent this morning. He stated that the problem was with Netgear/Orbi. I told him that nothing had been updated on my Orbi and I do not use Armor, every app works except for Spectrum. He then stated that Spectrum is a live feed and that Netgear has a problem with live feed. I replied that I can live stream a game on NHL Tv, ESPN, Fox Sports etc. and there is no problem. His reply to that was those apps aren't a live feed. He then stated that Spectrum had reached out to Netgear and that Netgear had refused to help with the problem. His next advice was to hard wire from the router to the Roku and that would prove that the problem was the Netgear. My reply was No, that only confirms that there is a problem between Netgear and the Spectrum App, it doesn't eliminate either device as the cause. From reading in the Roku community on this problem, one person stated that Spectrum was releasing a new version of their app on 2/9. The Spectrum person I talked didn't tell me anything about that. 

Message 13 of 33
Jetdrive
Luminary

My Spectrum app works perfectly on my Roku using the RBR50. Either wired or wireless. I'm running 2.5.1.8 but it worked with older firmware too. Wonder is it's just a setting like QOS or IPV6 that might be causing the problem? (I have both turned off).

Message 14 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hope this might be helpful. 

@Jetdrive wrote:

My Spectrum app works perfectly on my Roku using the RBR50. Either wired or wireless. I'm running 2.5.1.8 but it worked with older firmware too. Wonder is it's just a setting like QOS or IPV6 that might be causing the problem? (I have both turned off).

Message 15 of 33
GDGRM42
Aspirant

I've been fighting this issue since late January. Recently found out I.m not alone. I've been in the discussions on Roku Community. The problem strongly appears to be NG Armor (aka, Bitfinder). When users disbable it the Spectrum freezing problem is gone. Trouble is... if you never subscribed to Armor and the free period has "expired", you can't disable it...only "Renew". I have the Orbi Router, with 1 satellite and a D-link extender (that I never intended to continue using). When my Rokus are connected to the Orbi Spectrum freezes, when connected to the D-Link Extender network at either 2.4 or 5.0 Spectrum does not freeze. As with all other commenters here, all other streaming "channels" on Roku work good on Orbi.

Message 16 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Seem various issues with Armor. Users need to try testing with and with out it being enabled. 

Also please post and report any Armor issues and questions in the Armor forum:

Please post about this in the Armor app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Good Luck. 

@GDGRM42 wrote:

I've been fighting this issue since late January. Recently found out I.m not alone. I've been in the discussions on Roku Community. The problem strongly appears to be NG Armor (aka, Bitfinder). When users disbable it the Spectrum freezing problem is gone. Trouble is... if you never subscribed to Armor and the free period has "expired", you can't disable it...only "Renew". I have the Orbi Router, with 1 satellite and a D-link extender (that I never intended to continue using). When my Rokus are connected to the Orbi Spectrum freezes, when connected to the D-Link Extender network at either 2.4 or 5.0 Spectrum does not freeze. As with all other commenters here, all other streaming "channels" on Roku work good on Orbi.

Message 17 of 33
Dslo
Aspirant

Add me to the list of angry customers.  How can I not have the ability to disable the Armor/Bitfinder protection?!  Just opens up a browser to renew subscription.  All of my TV viewing is done through the Spectrum app.

I will never buy Netgear equipment in the future.

Message 18 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset your RBR and setup from scratch. Then don't enable Armor when presented with the enable or not. 

Good Luck. 

@Dslo wrote:

Add me to the list of angry customers.  How can I not have the ability to disable the Armor/Bitfinder protection?!  Just opens up a browser to renew subscription.  All of my TV viewing is done through the Spectrum app.

I will never buy Netgear equipment in the future.

Message 19 of 33
Wedge80
Aspirant

Factory reset fixed the issue. However, I still believe that Spectrum changed something as I hadn't done a firmware update or made any changes on the Orbi in months and the Armor trial had been expired for months as well. 

Message 20 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Wedge80 wrote:

Factory reset fixed the issue. However, I still believe that Spectrum changed something as I hadn't done a firmware update or made any changes on the Orbi in months and the Armor trial had been expired for months as well. 

Message 21 of 33
jkandcrew
Initiate

I reset my Orbi to factory settings then reinstalled it via the Orbi app just as I did the day I received it.  It offered a free trial of Armor and I declined.  Spectrum app has been working for almost an hour without freezing.  Had to be the Armor security causing it.  Just so happened the Spectrum app started freezing around the time the original "free trial" expired.  

Joey

Message 22 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the reset and not enabling Armor fixed it for you. Yes we have been seeing issues with Armor and people using it. Thankfully a reset and not enabling Armor seems to be the fix for most. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@jkandcrew wrote:

I reset my Orbi to factory settings then reinstalled it via the Orbi app just as I did the day I received it.  It offered a free trial of Armor and I declined.  Spectrum app has been working for almost an hour without freezing.  Had to be the Armor security causing it.  Just so happened the Spectrum app started freezing around the time the original "free trial" expired.  

Joey

Message 23 of 33
Chuck-ORL
Aspirant

Over the weekend, I updated my firmware to v2.5.0.38.  I thought it would be a good thing to do and unfortunately, didn't do the normal amount of research that usually do, but got a REAL education.

After making the update, it became clear that it was nothing short of a disaster!  I operate most everything on an iOS platform, with the exception of a couple of windows work computers, and a pool automation system. 

The first clue came when after doing a restart of the router and satellite, my HomePod showed as 'Not Responding'.  Then, my pool automation system (Hayward) lost the link from my hardwired router to the system box.  Next, after checking what was going on through the app, it showed the satellite as 'online' but the router as 'disconnected - no internet'.  This was strange since every device had internet access, but the router said something different.

All of this is in addition to the fact that most everything was moving at just slightly greater than dial-up regardless of the fact that I have AT&T Giganet Fiber service.

After a very frustrating weekend, I determined that the ONLY fix was to downgrade both the router and satellite to the previous version of firmware that I knew worked well, v2.3.5.30.  I downloaded the update files from the support website for both the router and satellite, made the downgrade by using the web interface and a LAN cable connection directly to the internal IP address for each unit, and changed my SSID just to clear out any issues with re-connecting all of my devices (which there are plenty, including smart lights and switches).

It was quite the ordeal and it took me many hours to 'start over' again from scratch, but EVERYTHING is working just like it did before venturing into this fiasco.

From what I have read on this board, as well as other independent forums, the greatest amount of pain of this 'upgrade' is suffered by APPLE or iOs users, in general.

My STRONG suggestion is that anyone that has suffered this fate, take the time to roll back to v2.3.5.30, or whatever firmware version you know worked, and wait for the developers to figure out what, and why, there seems to be so many issues with this update.

I am a HUGE supporter of the ORBI product, and have purchased numerous mesh systems for my daughters and sons-in-laws since none of then are tech savy in any way.  I did immediately call them and let them know of the issues that I experienced. I will continue to be a huge supporter of the product, but will add the caveat that they do NOT upgrade, or if they do and experience similar issues, manually downgrade (which I suspect I will have to do for them) to the above older version.

Message 24 of 33
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

You should upgrade to v2.5.1.8, not v2.5.0.38.  NG retracted v2.5.0.x after the numerous issues it had, you should not have been able to download it any more from their web site.

@Chuck-ORL wrote:

Over the weekend, I updated my firmware to v2.5.0.38.  I thought it would be a good thing to do and unfortunately, didn't do the normal amount of research that usually do, but got a REAL education.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7