Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware update 2.5.0.38 problems

RonRolfsen
Guide

Orbi Firmware update 2.5.0.38 problems

Have a 2 year old RBR50 with 2 satellites - have had no problems until recent update to 2.5.0.38.  Everything is working howerever the GUI now has issues when attempting to display devices.  The web interface never displays the Basic Home Main screen -the Please wait a moment.... and circle never goes away to display the information on the main page.  The other items on the Basic tab, Internet, Wireless, Parental Controls, ReadySHARE Printer, Guest Network all display normally.  The Attached Devices however displays a 400 Bad Request, The server does not support the operation requested by your client.  This occurs on 3 different browsers (Chrome, Edge and FireFox) - also the mobile app now shows No devices.  The Attached Devices on the Advanced tab, Administration has the same issue.  Other options from the Advanced tab appear normally.  The attached devices are connected and functioning normally.  I have rebooted the router (do not want to reset to factory defaults as I have seen suggested in other posts).  Any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 88

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

The reset and setup from scratch on the RBR will probably fix the issues your seeing. Try then when your ready. 

@RonRolfsen wrote:

After several reboots still have the problems (no Main page, no devices attached).  I wanted to downgrade to 2.5.0.30 but now when I go to the Advanced-Administration-Firmware Update in the web gui get the:

400 Bad Request

This server does not support the operation requested by your client.

Mobile app does not allow a firmware downgrade as far as I can tell.

Is there a way to telnet into the router and downgrade the firmware?

(have not yet tried reset - saving as last resort since things are 'working')

View solution in original post

Message 42 of 88

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have tried the power cycle and different browser and they all exibit the same thing, I would factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR. My RBRs UI is working for me, however i performed a reset. 

Message 2 of 88
Drtiny
Guide

Mines the same, worked fine for a day after firmware now web ui is broken
Message 3 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? 

Happens with different PCs and browsers? 

Be sure to clear out ALL browser caches before navigating to the RBRs web page. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the udpate? 

UI has been working fine for me since installation. Safari, Opera and IE11. Mac And windows. Heading towards 3 days of up time. Been accessing the UI various times though out the days. I don't use Chrome. 

@Drtiny wrote:
Mines the same, worked fine for a day after firmware now web ui is broken

Message 4 of 88
Kams
Star

Mine broke too since today and I did a factory reset after firmware update
Message 5 of 88
Drtiny
Guide

My ui now working again. Never touched anything or rebooted.
But the iOS app has lost all the device types/ names again 🤯
Message 6 of 88
StevenKY
Initiate

I updated to the new firmware (v2.5.0.38) a couple of days ago and since then I feel my satellite router is not picking up devices correctly.  I have my two routers on opposite sides of my main floor.  If I stand right next to my satellite with my iPhone then I can see my phone as one of the devices.  However, I move into the kitchen (same side of the house and less than ten feet from the satellite and only going through one wall) then I do not see my phone as one of it's devices.  The phone connectors to the main router on the other side of the house (through a wall and a stone fireplace).  Needless to say when I do a speed test it is less than a quarter of the speed to my house.

Message 7 of 88
CrimpOn
Guru

@StevenKY wrote:

If I stand right next to my satellite with my iPhone then I can see my phone as one of the devices.  However, I move into the kitchen (same side of the house and less than ten feet from the satellite and only going through one wall) then I do not see my phone as one of it's devices.

Do you have "Fast Roaming" enabled?  On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings, at the very bottom of the screen.

Message 8 of 88
ShaunW
Initiate

I too have a very similar issue since the recent updrage to 2.5.0.38

My computers on WiFi now sporadically disconnect or seem to crawl for 5-10 mins and then go back to what feels like an ok speed.  There's certainly something broken with this most recent version and I hope that Netgear either patch or allw us to regress to the previous version.

Another thing that I've found is that the "attached devices" list shows loads of devices that are actually no longer in use, but they still show as active - ghost devices?!?  weird for sure.

Have rebooted both router and satellite several times (Both off, router on, wait....., satellits on) which works for a while, but hours, not days.  Have not performed a factory reset though.

What's the benefit of the factory reset?

Thanks,

Shaun.

Message 9 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StevenKY wrote:

I updated to the new firmware (v2.5.0.38) a couple of days ago ....

WHY???

Message 10 of 88
chrissnv
Guide

I updated yesterday via the iOS app. From Version 2.3.5.30. 

After the upgrade ALL my devices were randomly (round-robin) blocked via access-control. This morning pretty much ALL my devices were blocked that were roaming between the Router and Satellite.

Except my Macbook which was also blocked but only connected to the Router (wired AND Wireless was blocked - 2 different MAC addresses).

This reminds me of the previous 2.2 upgrade.

Instead of all all the fancy new features and icons Netgrear really needs to focus on getting the Quality control under control.

I do not accept having to do constang Factory resets to fix a Firmware Upgrade as an answer.

At least 2.3.5.30 seems stable (hope it stays this way after I now downgraded back to this version).

The solution I recommend to everyone on here is to stay on 2.3.5.30 if it is stable for you and SKIP this upgrade.

Downloads can be found here for the RBR50/RBS50 Models https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30

@netgear  I believe you broke your Backhaul communication again and Access control. Seems like a regression to me.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 11 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Please factory reset as a last resort. 

Reset helps clear out any possible bad configurations and lingering FW code from prior versions. 

Mines been working well though I do factory resets and setup from scratch after any FW updates for my system:

System Uptime 04:18:07:42

@ShaunW wrote:

I too have a very similar issue since the recent updrage to 2.5.0.38

My computers on WiFi now sporadically disconnect or seem to crawl for 5-10 mins and then go back to what feels like an ok speed.  There's certainly something broken with this most recent version and I hope that Netgear either patch or allw us to regress to the previous version.

Another thing that I've found is that the "attached devices" list shows loads of devices that are actually no longer in use, but they still show as active - ghost devices?!?  weird for sure.

Have rebooted both router and satellite several times (Both off, router on, wait....., satellits on) which works for a while, but hours, not days.  Have not performed a factory reset though.

What's the benefit of the factory reset?

Thanks,

Shaun.

Message 12 of 88
sgrayban
Apprentice

@chrissnv can you tell me how to downgrade the firmware back to the 2.3.5.30 on the RBR50 ? I already downgraded the RBS50.

Message 13 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Same way as downgrading the RBS. Load the prior working FW file for the RBR. 

@sgrayban wrote:

can you tell me how to downgrade the firmware back to the 2.3.5.30 on the RBR50 ? I already downgraded the RBS50.

Message 14 of 88
hickory89
Initiate

Beginning with 2.5.0.38 upgrade, I lost iOS download speed as I went to 250+ mbps to 50-ish mbps. Massive lag times would ocurr after typing in a web address as if I was using a hotel wifi where their DNS box was dying or dead.

IOT devices started disconnecting and iOS devices started disconnecting.  iPad's were the worst as they would only connect to 1 Satelite afer the upgrade and they disconnected multiple times wihin just a few minutes.  Restarts did not fix this issue for iOS devices.

I downgraded to 2.5.0.30 and my iOS speeds have returned to normal.  DNS is resolving normally again ( no lag after typing in a web address) and my IOT and iOS devices are staying connected. (Back to Normal).

Sad becuase I have had very good luck with the NG upgrades so far.  This upgrade feels like a complete waste of time.  I appreciate @chrissnv for reccomending the downgrade, as I would now reccomend the same to anyone else who is wondering.

Message 15 of 88
StevenKY
Initiate

I also downgraded to v2.3.5.30 and it seems to be much more stable.

Message 16 of 88
ShaunW
Initiate

Huge THANK YOU to @chrissnv for posting the firmware links.  Downgraded and things are back to normal.  Will be checkig the forum in the future before upgrading again.

Cheers,

Shaun.

Message 17 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Users need to remember to try a factory reset after doing a FW update if they see odd issues and as a last resort to reverting FW. One thing I do regardless of any FW updates for my system. Saw no issues with iphones or speeds over the past week with v38 loaded. Continued to work very well for me. 

Good Luck. 

Message 18 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ShaunW wrote:

Huge THANK YOU to @chrissnv for posting the firmware links.  Downgraded and things are back to normal.  Will be checkig the forum in the future before upgrading again.

Cheers,

Shaun.

A better plan may be, if your system is working fine, LEAVE IT ALONE.  No update required.

Message 19 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Users need to remember to try a factory reset after doing a FW update if they see odd issues and as a last resort to reverting FW. One thing I do regardless of any FW updates for my system. Saw no issues with iphones or speeds over the past week with v38 loaded. Continued to work very well for me. 

Good Luck. 

As posted by many users....this is BAD advice.  NG and most hardware maker will tell you, a factory reset should only be required IF your device is unstable.

Message 20 of 88
hickory89
Initiate

I didn't pay 400+ bucks to have to factory reset my equipment each time there is a patch or upgrade.  That would make this product (or any other) worthless in my opinion.

Message 21 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@hickory89 wrote:

I didn't pay 400+ bucks to have to factory reset my equipment each time there is a patch or upgrade.  That would make this product (or any other) worthless in my opinion.

How did you get  2.5.0.38 ??

Message 22 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes a factory reset is needed. Some users have had not to reset. Some have and has helped get there systems working. For these problems, a factory reset and setup from scratch should be tried as a last resort. I had no issues after manually updating FW to v38. Asided the device naming problem found, v38 is stable on my RBK50. 

Good Luck. 

@hickory89 wrote:

Message 23 of 88
texjones
Guide

2.5.0.38 was installed after alert appeared on my ORBI app. I have 3 satellites . Installation went fine . All devices working , speeds are good BUT the new enhanced device recognition is a joke. The names and types of my 30+ devices are scrambled e.g: Thermostat showing up as a Door Bell, Garage Door as a camera, Laptop as a smart speaker etc. That would be a minor inconvenience IF i were able to manually edit but the changes made via the UI do not always stick. Some do . Seems to be more succesful when editing the details on a computer that is attached to the satellite where the device is incorrect. But not consistent. Like others in this community I also view being asked to rest to install incremental firmware as unreasonable.

Message 24 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

There does seem to be a new device recogniction system in place in new FW. The naming of devices is a known issue. Since the behavior of this new system seems to be giving odd problems, I would try a factory reset on the RBR and set up the system from scratch. See if the behavior changes. 

Various issues seen with other router mfrs so NG isn't the only one with FW issues. Maybe done differently however problem abound throughtout the router communities. Been like this for years. I do wish there was more in house testing before release to public. 

@texjones wrote:

2.5.0.38 was installed after alert appeared on my ORBI app. I have 3 satellites . Installation went fine . All devices working , speeds are good BUT the new enhanced device recognition is a joke. The names and types of my 30+ devices are scrambled e.g: Thermostat showing up as a Door Bell, Garage Door as a camera, Laptop as a smart speaker etc. That would be a minor inconvenience IF i were able to manually edit but the changes made via the UI do not always stick. Some do . Seems to be more succesful when editing the details on a computer that is attached to the satellite where the device is incorrect. But not consistent. Like others in this community I also view being asked to rest to install incremental firmware as unreasonable.

Message 25 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7