Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware update 2.5.0.38 problems

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@texjones wrote:

2.5.0.38 was installed after alert appeared on my ORBI app.

This doesn't mean you have to upgrade.

Message 26 of 88
js321
Tutor

Agreed: the upgrade broke reliable connectivity (likely with the backhaul) as well as the device name-IP in the GUI (web browser and app).

Reverted back to 2.3.5.30 for both RBR and RBS.

@netgearI just recommended your mesh router to a friend earlier in the week.  I'll be recalling that opinion today...

Message 27 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@js321 wrote:

Agreed: the upgrade broke reliable connectivity (likely with the backhaul) as well as the device name-IP in the GUI (web browser and app).

@netgearI just recommended your mesh router to a friend earlier in the week.  I'll be recalling that opinion today...

Here's a better idea.....hold off.....get your system to settle down.  Then Do Not do manual updates.  Then recommed the Orbi to your friends.

Message 28 of 88
js321
Tutor

@Retired_Member 

Well, I've had the orbi for over a year with only minimal complaints (gui).  The recent update to 2.5.0.38 was not manual, but recommended by netgear via the web GUI.  The reversion to prior firmware must be done manually by design.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "settling down"?  Several days of intermittent throughput / lost connectivity that was quickly resolved by going back to the prior firmware is a fairly good indication that "settling down" wasn't really the prescribed high-tech solution.  Of course I did some debugging on the new firmware such as taking out some satellites/clients and trying to power cycle the satellies in different order.  Nothing worked.

Message 29 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@js321 wrote:

@Retired_Member 

Well, I've had the orbi for over a year with only minimal complaints (gui).  The recent update to 2.5.0.38 was not manual, but recommended by netgear via the web GUI. 

Recommended does NOT mean you had to upgrade.  You made the choice.  So you called NG on the phone and they told you to upgrade?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "settling down"?  

Settle down as in give it time after the reversion.  Then STOP doing manual updates.

Message 30 of 88
Kams
Star

Folks not sure what we're arguing about anymore.
It's simple, for most people the update regardless of choice, did not result in a stable system. A factory reset does help but as most people agree is not an acceptable solution.

So yeah for me I had to go back to .30 after 5 days or so. Looking forward to NG fixing it very quickly or I will be quickly switching to a different brand.

Regardless, us arguing about who did what isnt helping anyone. I'd rather we all email NG and complain or open a ticket via the support site so they have real data to actually do something with.

Thanks
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 31 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Kams wrote:

No argue from me.

My position is DON'T do manual updates. Let NG push the ones to you with major revisions (they still do that).  IF those are bad, then you can't blame yourself.  It might make you feel better as you post your experiences here.  Perhaps there's a reason NG didn't auto push 2.5.0.38 ...????

Message 32 of 88
js321
Tutor

Agreed.  Reply had a bit more snark than intended, so apologies to @Retired_Member . 

Those of us that installed this seem to agree the new FW breaks core functionality and should probably never have been released. 

Already complained to @netgear  about this.  Ubiquiti has some setup headaches IMO, but reliability (and QA) seems to be rock solid.   

Message 33 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I can tell you I learned my lesson years ago (another router manufacturer) and as I look back it was always a case where I thought the next upgrade would provide me the latest wiz bang system.  In the perfect world that works.  In reality not so much.  

This whole firmware update situation here has gotten better, kinda if you think about the way it was.  A few years ago, NG would push all updates regardless of what enhancements they contained and they will always tell you and me that each release has been tried and proved to be good to go.  Well after dozens and dozen of up roar in here, NG apparently adjusted their policy to where the only updates that get auto pushed are ones with major revisions.  The others (the ones you may see when you login to your router) are up to the user.  Again, in the perfect world, all updates would work.  So my lesson learned and observed is...if it works, leave it ALONE.  

Another interesting area are those who insist on tweaking their system to squeeze one more ounce of speed.  Not understanding what they have or are doing.  The next day they're in here asking for help for they can no longer connect to the internet.  Take care and enjoy your Orbi as it works.

Message 34 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset. v38 works. Some users need to factory reset and setup from scratch.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1818889/hi...

Mine solid past 5 days. The system works well. 

@js321 wrote:

Message 35 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

My system worked just fine past 5 days. Solid on v38 asided the device naming issue. Mine was manually updated and factory reset and setup from scratch. Just works. 

@Kams wrote:
It's simple, for most people the update regardless of choice, did not result in a stable system. A factory reset does help but as most people agree is not an acceptable solution.

So yeah for me I had to go back to .30 after 5 days or so. Looking forward to NG fixing it very quickly or I will be quickly switching to a different brand.

Regardless, us arguing about who did what isnt helping anyone. I'd rather we all email NG and complain or open a ticket via the support site so they have real data to actually do something with.

Thanks

Message 36 of 88
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stop telling people to factory reset. It’s a waste of time.
Message 37 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

My system worked just fine past 5 days. Solid on v38 asided the device naming issue. Mine was manually updated and factory reset and setup from scratch. Just works. 

That's great to know, however it doesn't help the many others who have suffered.  

Message 38 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Please stop telling users what to post. I'll post as I see fit. Factory resets are not required however a suggestion that does work. Others have had no issues with v38. IF your not willing to try it then don't. Up to you. 

@toe wrote:

Message 39 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please stop telling users what to post. I'll post as I see fit. Factory resets are not required however a suggestion that does work. Others have had no issues with v38. IF your not willing to try it then don't. Up to you. 

@toe wrote:

Wow.   Now that’s not helpful 

Message 40 of 88
RonRolfsen
Guide

After several reboots still have the problems (no Main page, no devices attached).  I wanted to downgrade to 2.5.0.30 but now when I go to the Advanced-Administration-Firmware Update in the web gui get the:

400 Bad Request

This server does not support the operation requested by your client.

Mobile app does not allow a firmware downgrade as far as I can tell.

Is there a way to telnet into the router and downgrade the firmware?

(have not yet tried reset - saving as last resort since things are 'working')

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 41 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

The reset and setup from scratch on the RBR will probably fix the issues your seeing. Try then when your ready. 

@RonRolfsen wrote:

After several reboots still have the problems (no Main page, no devices attached).  I wanted to downgrade to 2.5.0.30 but now when I go to the Advanced-Administration-Firmware Update in the web gui get the:

400 Bad Request

This server does not support the operation requested by your client.

Mobile app does not allow a firmware downgrade as far as I can tell.

Is there a way to telnet into the router and downgrade the firmware?

(have not yet tried reset - saving as last resort since things are 'working')

Message 42 of 88
wchp
Luminary

Without getting into all the things to try I am just posting this an observed performance change.

On a 2018 Macbook Pro on Firmware V 2.5.0.38 I am experiencing ½ to ¼(or less) the 802.11AC throughput vs. the previous version of firmware.

460-585 mps on 2.3.5.30 from Mac OS wifi details and 520/41.2 from Speedtest app

40-180 mbps on 2.5.0.38from Mac OS wifi details and 86/23.9 from Speedtest app

Observed using WiFi details AND WiFi explorer.

Both observations on WiFi Explorer show Chan 48, 90% signal strength, SNR 54dB readings with both versions of firmware.

Laptop and Router locations unchanged.

Tried everything except factory reset/paper clip simply because I dont want to and dont feel I should need to with a public firmware release (with beta firmware versions this is a given that a factory reset is done)

Of note (if it makes any difference) I am running the Armor protection on the RBR (for both tests).

Have reverted back to 2.3.5.30 and will wait for next rev of FW.

Message 43 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

I saw no speed issues or slower operation with v38 loaded. Though I and others do factory resets. v38 works. 

Something to at least try as maybe the next FW update will not fix your experiences. Reset maybe needed. Works for others.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820500/hi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820477/hi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Speeds-have-plummeted-after-latest-update/m-p/1819282/highligh...

@wchp wrote:

Without getting into all the things to try I am just posting this an observed performance change.

On a 2018 Macbook Pro on Firmware V 2.5.0.38 I am experiencing ½ to ¼(or less) the 802.11AC throughput vs. the previous version of firmware.

460-585 mps on 2.3.5.30 from Mac OS wifi details and 520/41.2 from Speedtest app

40-180 mbps on 2.5.0.38from Mac OS wifi details and 86/23.9 from Speedtest app

Observed using WiFi details AND WiFi explorer.

Both observations on WiFi Explorer show Chan 48, 90% signal strength, SNR 54dB readings with both versions of firmware.

Laptop and Router locations unchanged.

Tried everything except factory reset/paper clip simply because I dont want to and dont feel I should need to with a public firmware release (with beta firmware versions this is a given that a factory reset is done)

Of note (if it makes any difference) I am running the Armor protection on the RBR (for both tests).

Have reverted back to 2.3.5.30 and will wait for next rev of FW.

Message 44 of 88
PetervdK65
Initiate

I don't know your setup, but the advice to do a factory reset after every FW update is very weird. A factory reset will cost me a day to get every thing setup as before. During that time, all my camera's and other security devices won't be operational. That should not be necessary with an expensive system like this. In fact, if i really had to factory reset every time an update was issued, i would certainly dump the whole system.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 45 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset is a last resort method to check for problems and resolution. Though I and a few others use this in our normal manual FW updates methods, I understand that users shouldn't have too. However, again when problems appear or appear after FW updates, and all other troubleshooting has been exhausted, then a reset and setup from scratch should be performed. Seen many problems resolved after a reset. Lingering prior FW code or user mis-configurations with newer versions of FW code seem to cause problems. Resets allow the FW to be cleared out and start fresh. 

To save time on factory resets and configurations, you should already be using Backup Configuration files. These save time. Do you not know about this feature? 

v38 is working for me and others. You don't have to use it as well. Use what works for you. 

@PetervdK65 wrote:

I don't know your setup, but the advice to do a factory reset after every FW update is very weird. A factory reset will cost me a day to get every thing setup as before. During that time, all my camera's and other security devices won't be operational. That should not be necessary with an expensive system like this. In fact, if i really had to factory reset every time an update was issued, i would certainly dump the whole system.

Message 46 of 88
wchp
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

A factory reset is a last resort method to check for problems and resolution. Though I and a few others use this in our normal manual FW updates methods, I understand that users shouldn't have too. However, again when problems appear or appear after FW updates, and all other troubleshooting has been exhausted, then a reset and setup from scratch should be performed. Seen many problems resolved after a reset. Lingering prior FW code or user mis-configurations with newer versions of FW code seem to cause problems. Resets allow the FW to be cleared out and start fresh. 

To save time on factory resets and configurations, you should already be using Backup Configuration files. These save time. Do you not know about this feature? 

v38 is working for me and others. You don't have to use it as well. Use what works for you. 

@PetervdK65 wrote:

Just to clarify, a backup config file should NOT be applied to a new rev of firmware. If one is compelled to update, the setup should be done via the new firmware GUI. Using a backup config file may reintroduce the same issues as if you had only done an in place update. BUT, it is nice to have if you downgrade to the pervios rev you were running after a problematic update with factory reset.

Message 47 of 88
PetervdK65
Initiate

@FURRYe38 wrote:

A factory reset is a last resort method to check for problems and resolution.

That is not exactly what you say, in fact you say you should always do that after an update. And that is not true.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes i do. But, just as @wchp says, i also know that it is certainly not (in fact: never) recommended to first do an update and then restore a config file from your previous fw, with or without a factory reset.

Message 48 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Everyone has there opinions. I know that resets for for me and others. 

Up to you to try it or not. Revert back to what worked for you before. It's your system. Do what ever you wish. 

Factory resets are appart of troubleshooted regardless. 

Good Luck. 

Message 49 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Everyone has there opinions. I know that resets for for me and others. 

Not everyone wants to live on the edge

Message 50 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7