Reply

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Hello Orbi Community, 

 

As you may be aware, there has been a new firmware version available for the RBR50 & RBS50. To access the firmware version, please use the links below:

 

RBR50: v2.5.0.38 

RBS50: v2.5.0.38 

 

Respectfully,

Christian

 

 

 

Message 1 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Is this a auto-push update?

Message 2 of 82

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Thanks.


My Setup: Verizon ONT (Fios Gigabit) > Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 > Model: RBK53|Orbi Router (AP Mode) + 2 Satellites (2 Wired Backhaul) Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 82
CrimpOn
Sensei

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Perhaps I have misunderstood.  This update is presented to Orbi users on the "Firmware Update" page.

The update can be selected by the user (or ignored).

It appears that as a convenience, @Christian_R has placed the router and satellite firmware files on a server to make them available to forum members who want to perform a manual update.  (Notice the link is to "ntgr.my.salesforce.com", not to a Netgear server.)

Eventually, one hopes these firmware updates will appear on the Netgear support web site.

I love my Orbi.
Message 4 of 82
JKNIE
Tutor

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Hi

Since updating my Orbi system to V2.5.0.38 I am experiencing:

- WiFi outages (randomly the WiFi is gone)

- On the configuration page in a browser it says that the two satellites are not connected but the App says they are?

- The device attached list if randomly empty or contains only a few of the attached devices

 

I assume this is due to a buggy upgrade - question is when will new version come and when it down how will I update when the satellites are showing as not connected?

 

@Christian_R can you tell me when a new version will be out?

 

Regards

John

 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Please give this a try. I manually loaded v38 on my RBK50 and saw no wifi issues after loading v38. 

 

 

NG doesn't annouce when new FW will be forth coming. 

 


@JKNIE wrote:

Hi

Since updating my Orbi system to V2.5.0.38 I am experiencing:

- WiFi outages (randomly the WiFi is gone)

- On the configuration page in a browser it says that the two satellites are not connected but the App says they are?

- The device attached list if randomly empty or contains only a few of the attached devices

 

I assume this is due to a buggy upgrade - question is when will new version come and when it down how will I update when the satellites are showing as not connected?

 

@Christian_R can you tell me when a new version will be out?

 

Regards

John

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Please give this a try. I manually loaded v38 on my RBK50 and saw no wifi issues after loading v38. 

 

 

NG doesn't annouce when new FW will be forth coming. 

 

 

According to NG...."A factory reset is necessary when you cannot recover your password."

 


@JKNIE wrote:

Hi

Since updating my Orbi system to V2.5.0.38 I am experiencing:

- WiFi outages (randomly the WiFi is gone)

- On the configuration page in a browser it says that the two satellites are not connected but the App says they are?

- The device attached list if randomly empty or contains only a few of the attached devices

 

I assume this is due to a buggy upgrade - question is when will new version come and when it down how will I update when the satellites are showing as not connected?

 

@Christian_R can you tell me when a new version will be out?

 

Regards

John

 


 


 

Message 7 of 82
ryanaroha
Star

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38


@JKNIE wrote:

Since updating my Orbi system to V2.5.0.38 I am experiencing:

- WiFi outages (randomly the WiFi is gone)

I've been seeing the same over the last few days, ever since doing the update. Maddening.  Wifi is constantly dropping on all devices, even when sitting right next to the satellite.

Message 8 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38


@ryanaroha wrote:

@JKNIE wrote:

Since updating my Orbi system to V2.5.0.38 I am experiencing:

- WiFi outages (randomly the WiFi is gone)

I've been seeing the same over the last few days, ever since doing the update. Maddening.  Wifi is constantly dropping on all devices, even when sitting right next to the satellite.


why did you upgrade?

Message 9 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Factory reset the RBR and RBS and setp from scratch. This should fix your problems.


@ryanaroha wrote:

I've been seeing the same over the last few days, ever since doing the update. Maddening.  Wifi is constantly dropping on all devices, even when sitting right next to the satellite.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 10 of 82
abonko
Star

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Ever since upgrading to this version of the firmware, the quality of our internet has been terrible. 1) Videos being streamed will hang for a few seconds; 2) Internet connectivity will periodically drop completely, requiring me to reboot the Orbi.  When this happens, the app will say the Internet is offline; 3) My device list in the app has become completely corrupted.  It lists more/fewer devices than are actually connected and device names are all messed up (my laptop in the list now has the name from another device). 

 

I genuinely hope this is being looked into as a matter of urgency, because the poor quailty of this build is appaling.

 

And yes, I did a factory reset afterwards and that has made no difference.  

 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 


@abonko wrote:

Ever since upgrading to this version of the firmware, the quality of our internet has been terrible. 1) Videos being streamed will hang for a few seconds; 2) Internet connectivity will periodically drop completely, requiring me to reboot the Orbi.  When this happens, the app will say the Internet is offline; 3) My device list in the app has become completely corrupted.  It lists more/fewer devices than are actually connected and device names are all messed up (my laptop in the list now has the name from another device). 

 

I genuinely hope this is being looked into as a matter of urgency, because the poor quailty of this build is appaling.

 

And yes, I did a factory reset afterwards and that has made no difference.  

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 12 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Admit the firmware is bad and stop asking folks to jump through hoops 

Message 13 of 82
ryanaroha
Star

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Factory reset the RBR and RBS and setp from scratch. This should fix your problems.


@ryanaroha wrote:

I've been seeing the same over the last few days, ever since doing the update. Maddening.  Wifi is constantly dropping on all devices, even when sitting right next to the satellite.



 

I'm fine with the inconvenience of a factory reset IF I can restore settings from backup, but "setup from scratch"??? WTF. That's insane. Some people actually configure more than just SSID and passphrase on their wifi routers.

 

I'm downgrading to 2.3.5.30.

Message 14 of 82
ryanaroha
Star

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38


@Retired_Member wrote:

@ryanaroha wrote:

I've been seeing the same over the last few days, ever since doing the update. Maddening.  Wifi is constantly dropping on all devices, even when sitting right next to the satellite.

why did you upgrade?


 

I can't tell if you're trolling, trying to be self-righteous, or just clueless. I think you and I are on the same team here, dude.

 

To say what I shouldn't have to say: I expect a firmware upgrade will fix CVEs (enhancing security), patch minor flaws (fixing stability bugs), and occasionally add big new features that I probably don't care about. A company as big as Netgear should QA their damn firmware. A new firmware shouldn't cripple user experience.

Message 15 of 82
ryanaroha
Star

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38


@FURRYe38 wrote:

@abonko wrote:

Ever since upgrading to this version of the firmware, the quality of our internet has been terrible. 1) Videos being streamed will hang for a few seconds; 2) Internet connectivity will periodically drop completely, requiring me to reboot the Orbi.  When this happens, the app will say the Internet is offline; 3) My device list in the app has become completely corrupted.  It lists more/fewer devices than are actually connected and device names are all messed up (my laptop in the list now has the name from another device). 

 

I genuinely hope this is being looked into as a matter of urgency, because the poor quailty of this build is appaling.

 

And yes, I did a factory reset afterwards and that has made no difference.  

 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Dude are you out of your mind or can you really not accept the possibility that this firmware is buggy?

 

All of these things you ask about and mention DO NOT MATTER if the system was working great prior to the change of a single variable -- the firmware upgrade. What you're doing here is akin to gaslighting.

 

For the record, I have had a similar experience to @abonko ... I've had an Orbi + a satellite for 2.5 years and they've worked pretty much flawlessly, through every upgrade, until this week with v2.5.0.38. Given that no other variables changed, it makes zero sense for you (@FURRYe38) to be wasting your + our time asking about modem, home square footage, channel settings, etc. I'm sure you have the best of intentions, and I appreciate that you're willing to spend your time trying to be helpful, but please stop for a minute and think about the logic of this situation, and what you're suggesting.

Message 16 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Problems-with-RBR50-and-RBS50/td-p/1815533/jump-to/first-unrea...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 17 of 82
JKNIE
Tutor

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

I did a factory reset and got up and running.

Interestingly I didn't have to manually update the firmware to 2.5.0.38 as this seems to happen automatically after I did the factory reset (which might explain why the first boot after reset took a long time).

The system is working but I'm not sure it's stable as its not reporting all attached devices even when some of the un-reported devices have Internet connection so they are connected.

Let's hope the next version is better.

Thanks for the help.

John

 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 18 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38


@ryanaroha wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@ryanaroha wrote:

I've been seeing the same over the last few days, ever since doing the update. Maddening.  Wifi is constantly dropping on all devices, even when sitting right next to the satellite.

why did you upgrade?


 

I can't tell if you're trolling, trying to be self-righteous, or just clueless. I think you and I are on the same team here, dude.

 

To say what I shouldn't have to say: I expect a firmware upgrade will fix CVEs (enhancing security), patch minor flaws (fixing stability bugs), and occasionally add big new features that I probably don't care about. A company as big as Netgear should QA their damn firmware. A new firmware shouldn't cripple user experience.


I agree with what you say.  In my opinion your only mistake was to manually upgrade when I believe your system was working fine...??

Message 19 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Let the system settle in and give it some time to see if the devices appear. NG is ware of the device naming problem found. 


@JKNIE wrote:

I did a factory reset and got up and running.

Interestingly I didn't have to manually update the firmware to 2.5.0.38 as this seems to happen automatically after I did the factory reset (which might explain why the first boot after reset took a long time).

The system is working but I'm not sure it's stable as its not reporting all attached devices even when some of the un-reported devices have Internet connection so they are connected.

Let's hope the next version is better.

Thanks for the help.

John

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 20 of 82
abonko
Star

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

FURRYe38 - I appreciate that your intentions are pure and you are genuinely trying to help, but as ryanaroha pointed out, if everything was working perfectly beforehand then why are these questions even necessary? Maybe it's a mistake on my part for not pointing out such detail in the first place. So allow me to set the record straight.

 

My satellite Orbi is connected to the primary Orbi via a physical LAN cable, utilizing Ethernet Backhaul. My primary router is connected to my Comcast router which is setup in bridge mode. This is the exact configuration I have run for nearly a year now without a single issue. In fact, the performance and stability of this configuration has been so amazing I have raved about the Orbis to friends, family and anyone else who would listen.

 

You could argue I chose to apply the firmware update, but given how much I was pestered to upgrade via the Orbi app I'm not sure that's an entirely fair assessment. Nonetheless, I upgraded. Within an hour of upgrading all of my issues began. I can say with absolute certainty that not a single other aspect of my network configuration changed. Hence, the only logical cause of my issues is the firmware upgrade. All other possible variables are irrelevant.

 

Someone earlier mentioned downgrading back to the previous version. How do you do that? Is it only through the desktop login?

 

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Message 21 of 82
ryanaroha
Star

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38


@abonko wrote:

Someone earlier mentioned downgrading back to the previous version. How do you do that? Is it only through the desktop login?


I don't use any of the phone apps, so I'm completely ignorant as to the capabilities there. I also don't allow any remote management, so if there's some cool central website or something, I can't speak to that either. You can find instructions online for downgrading, but here's how I did my downgrade to v2.3.5.30:

  1. Download RBR & RBS files from https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30
  2. Unzip both files
  3. Use desktop web-browser to login to web-ui of satellite(s) (e.g., https://ip.of.my.satellite)
  4. Select firmware update, browse to RBS*.img file and follow directions
  5. Go get a cup of coffee ... after ~10min when satellite comes back up, check if performance is back to normal (some folks have reported that everything was good after downgrading just their satellite, but that wasn't the case for me)
  6. Login to web-ui of main router (e.g., https://ip.of.my.router)
  7. Go to Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update > Manual Update
  8. Browse to the RBR*.img file and follow directions
  9. Go do some yoga and say a little prayer that Netgear will start investing in QA
Message 22 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Yes these questions are necessary. Each user has different configurations and experiences which we don't know about fully unless we ask some specific questions. 

 

Like, "Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?" I and others are not seeing these issues you post about with v.38 as we apply FW updates manually and reset and setup from scratch.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820500/hi...

I have asked others as well to factory reset there system and setup from scratch and this has resolved there problems. A factory reset and setup from scratch is a last resort and valid step to see if problems will be resolved. 

 

You can downgrade as well and thats your choice. However you may run into this issue again upon next FW update the NG comes out with. 

 

Good Luck. 

 

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 23 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

Factory reset should be viewed as a last resort.  Understand problems with firmware releases before hand.

Message 24 of 82
Tpavey
Star

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

I have the same issues. My Orbi was the best router I've had, now its among the least reliable. I lose connection so much I often disable wifi on my cell. I've done the factory reset. It made no difference. There is something wrong with the firmware.
Message 25 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 81 replies
  • 5238 views
  • 32 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements