Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware v2.5.0.38

FURRYe38
Guru

Revert back to what was working for you then. 

@Tpavey wrote:
I have the same issues. My Orbi was the best router I've had, now its among the least reliable. I lose connection so much I often disable wifi on my cell. I've done the factory reset. It made no difference. There is something wrong with the firmware.

Message 26 of 82
Tpavey
Star

I did revert back. Hopefully all is well again.

I really hope that Netgear figures out what is causing problems for some people so future updates don't have this issue. I'd hate to not be able to have a critical update (security) because it breaks my internet.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Tpavey wrote:

I did revert back. Hopefully all is well again.

I really hope that Netgear figures out what is causing problems for some people so future updates don't have this issue. I'd hate to not be able to have a critical update (security) because it breaks my internet.

I doubt the version that broke your system had critical updates.  Those are pushed automatically 

Message 28 of 82
abonko
Star

Here's an update on my latest, in the hopes it helps narrow down the cause of the issues.

I finally broke down and performed a Factory Reset and completely setup my network again from scratch.  Although this did help marginally, stability is still not back to what it was before this Firmware.  My devices still lose Wifi connectivity, albeit not as frequently as before.  The interesting observation is that the connectivity issues give the appearance of the Wifi range being reduced compared to the previous Firmware version.  I highly doubt this is case, and as such I have simply dismissed this as being just more of the same overall connectivity issues I have been experiencing since upgrading.  I will see how this plays out over the next week and may decide to rollback to the previous Frimware version next weekend.

Message 29 of 82
Tpavey
Star

My issues had to do with internet connectivity, not connecting to the router. I would frequently get an exclamation point in my Android status bar. My roku would need to be put through wireless setup to reconnect. Basically, it seemed that once a device was connected and actively using the internet, all was well. If a device went "idle" it would stay connected to the router but be cut off from the internet.

I hope those are helpful observations.
Message 30 of 82
JKNIE
Tutor

Hi All,

I decided to do the factory reset due to problems previously highlighted - dropped WiFi, no devices being shown...

Anyway the first reset ws not great - more or less the same issues - the second reset, a week later, was better. Some hints.

1. Delete the Orbi App from your phone, reboot the phone, reinstall.

2. When setting up after the reset don't rename the WiFi SSID to the old one - either keept the default or rename it to something else - this I found allowed the netword to setup quicker and stablized without dealing with the 50 odd devices that I have connected.

3. It also allowed me to disable the Bitdefender (which I would recommend as nothing good came from turning it on).

4. Having allowed the satellites to connect and stablize I could see that the only device connected was my notebook and phone. (BTW I found that I could do the first half of the setup from my phone, but needed to use my laptop, connected to the new WiFi, to complete the configuration.)

5. When all stable, give it an hour or so, rename your WiFi SSID to the preferred one and then all your other devices start connecting.

In my case most of the devices connected fine, strangely some of the phones needed the WiFi password - which I setup as the same - ree tered. But so far all devices seem to be displayed and, fingers crossed, the WiFi is stable.

My takeaway, not proven, is that Bitdefernder was the catalist for all the woes...

Hope this helps,

John

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 31 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like these security program are problematic. Glad you figured it out. I don't use them so I haven't seen this issue. Ya I factory reset as well. 

Be sure to run a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time should a reset be needed again. 

@JKNIE wrote:

Hi All,

I decided to do the factory reset due to problems previously highlighted - dropped WiFi, no devices being shown...

Anyway the first reset ws not great - more or less the same issues - the second reset, a week later, was better. Some hints.

1. Delete the Orbi App from your phone, reboot the phone, reinstall.

2. When setting up after the reset don't rename the WiFi SSID to the old one - either keept the default or rename it to something else - this I found allowed the netword to setup quicker and stablized without dealing with the 50 odd devices that I have connected.

3. It also allowed me to disable the Bitdefender (which I would recommend as nothing good came from turning it on).

4. Having allowed the satellites to connect and stablize I could see that the only device connected was my notebook and phone. (BTW I found that I could do the first half of the setup from my phone, but needed to use my laptop, connected to the new WiFi, to complete the configuration.)

5. When all stable, give it an hour or so, rename your WiFi SSID to the preferred one and then all your other devices start connecting.

In my case most of the devices connected fine, strangely some of the phones needed the WiFi password - which I setup as the same - ree tered. But so far all devices seem to be displayed and, fingers crossed, the WiFi is stable.

My takeaway, not proven, is that Bitdefernder was the catalist for all the woes...

Hope this helps,

John

Message 32 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

. Saves time should a reset be needed again. 

shouldn't have to keep performing factory resets

Message 33 of 82
abonko
Star

I can now confidently confirm that the Factory Reset did not resolve my issues.  Today I was standing right next to my satellite and my phone informed me I had no internet connectivity through wifi and asked if I wanted to switch to celluar data. Looks like I'll be rolling back to the previous firmware version this weekend.

Message 34 of 82
Tpavey
Star

I had issues before using the armor/bit defender after factory reset, so that wasnt the culprit for me at least.
Message 35 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Lets us know how it turns out after reverting back FW. 

@abonko wrote:

I can now confidently confirm that the Factory Reset did not resolve my issues.  Today I was standing right next to my satellite and my phone informed me I had no internet connectivity through wifi and asked if I wanted to switch to celluar data. Looks like I'll be rolling back to the previous firmware version this weekend.

Message 36 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

it's the firmware NOT the distance

Message 37 of 82
Tpavey
Star

After reverting back everything is good. No need to refresh the connection constantly.

I was within 30 feet. My connection status between router and satellite was listed as good. Satellite was not moved when firmware was updated. I had connection issues when sitting 2 feet from the main router.

I understand the desire to troubleshoot, but you have a number of people here saying that nothing changed except firmware and reliability tanked. Very few people manually update firmware anyway. So my guess is that people with new purchases are going to have a lot of problems when they instal and the router searches for new firmware. Netgear may want to consider pulling this or pushing the old one with a newer number.
Message 38 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Tpavey wrote:
After reverting back everything is good. No need to refresh the connection constantly.

Great job!

Message 39 of 82
abonko
Star

I use Ethernet Backhaul.

Message 40 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

So do I.

Is the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there a network switch in between. 

@abonko wrote:

I use Ethernet Backhaul.

Message 41 of 82
abonko
Star

There's a switch between them.  The odds of the switch starting to have issues immediately after I upgraded the firmware on my Orbis is extremely low, but I felt it was worth ruling out anyways.  So I've run a series of network tests on the physical LAN in my home, which runs through this switch.  Everything is perfectly fine there and no issues were found.

Message 42 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of this switch. Just curious. 

I'd first try a factory reset on the RBS and let it setup again. I think you don't need to wirelessly connect the RBS first anymore, you can reset while the RBS is wire connected and it should auto connect thru the switch. I factory reset both RBR and RBS. RBS is behind 4 non managed, non green ethernet switches that are daisy chained. 

Message 43 of 82
abonko
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of this switch. Just curious. 

I'd first try a factory reset on the RBS and let it setup again. I think you don't need to wirelessly connect the RBS first anymore, you can reset while the RBS is wire connected and it should auto connect thru the switch. I factory reset both RBR and RBS. RBS is behind 4 non managed, non green ethernet switches that are daisy chained. 

I already did the Factory reset.  Didn't help.  You are right though, you do not need to start wireless.

Message 44 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of this switch.

Did you reset the RBR as well? If not, try this. Make a back up configuration to file first for safe keeping. 

Message 45 of 82
abonko
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of this switch.

Did you reset the RBR as well? If not, try this. Make a back up configuration to file first for safe keeping. 

I don't have the model# on hand right now.

I reset both.

Try what?

Message 46 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the reset on both RBR and RBS. 

Message 47 of 82
abonko
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

As I already stated, I did that.  (read my earlier posts)

Message 48 of 82
skimmilk0000
Aspirant

This is happening to mine as well. Web traffic in general seems the most problematic, and switching between ISP, Google and 1.1.1.1 DNS servers did not help.

I did a factory reset of both the satellite and router. I've turned off daisy chaining, fast roaming and nothing is helping. I have HomeKit so downgrading to .30 isn't really an option and I was on a much older firmware (2.3.x) before so I'm not sure how far back I can go.

Message 49 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

Wasn't really clear if you reset the RBS or both RBR and RBS. 

Can you revert back to v30 and see what happens? Or try v40. I'd manually load FW and reset the RBR and setup from scratch. 

@abonko wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

As I already stated, I did that.  (read my earlier posts)

Message 50 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 81 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7