Reply

Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices

BradOrbi
Initiate

Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices

I have smart devices that can only be set up through a 2.4GHz wireless connection. How to I turn off the Orbi 5GHz signal until I complete smart device set ups? 

Thank you

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices

Disable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Kindle-Paperwhite-not-found-my-Orbi-RBR40/m-p/1712069/highligh...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 8
BradOrbi
Initiate

Re: Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices

Hi, turning off the 5G SSID did not work. My Android phone kept connecting to the 5G signal even though the router was not brodcasting an ID. Instead, I had to load an app on my phone that I could use to connect to the 2.4GHz signal to set up the smart devices. 

Smart things application designers should write a 2.4GHz connector into their apps. Netgear should include a way to turn off 5GHz or allow users to create different SSIDs for the different bands in case the app designers fail to write a 2.4GHz connector into their apps. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Sensei

Re: Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices

Mind sharing what brand of Android smartphone this is?  My Sony Xperia connected to 2.4G after I told it to "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then search for available WiFi networks, "surprise. here's one that looks a lot like my Orbi", enter the password, and it connected at 2.4G.  The "forget" part is important.

I love my Orbi.
Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices


@BradOrbi wrote:

Instead, I had to load an app on my phone that I could use to connect to the 2.4GHz signal to set up the smart devices.  


Have some examples? We're using the Wifi Analyzer (by farproc aka.Kevin Yuan) on Android with the add-on Wifi Connecter Library - this will allow to connect to a selected BSSID (MAC), however depending on the environment, the Android connection management will soon take over and put it to the "better" (typically 5 GHz if you are near to the AP).

 


@BradOrbi wrote:

Smart things application designers should write a 2.4GHz connector into their apps. 


Don't agree: They must rewrite their crappy installers to stop the process if the wireless is connected to another band. As there is only one LAN, the same name (SSID) can be used, the network is 100% L2 transparent.

If selecting new IoT, check the installation process. If it says connect the mobile/app to the 2.4GHz band it's a don't buy!

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices

After you disabled the 5G SSID broacast, you need to "forget this network" on the mobile device, then have it re-connect to Orbi. It will connect to the 2.4ghz SSID radio would be all thats needed. I've tired this my self and it works. 

 


@BradOrbi wrote:

Hi, turning off the 5G SSID did not work. My Android phone kept connecting to the 5G signal even though the router was not brodcasting an ID. Instead, I had to load an app on my phone that I could use to connect to the 2.4GHz signal to set up the smart devices. 

Smart things application designers should write a 2.4GHz connector into their apps. Netgear should include a way to turn off 5GHz or allow users to create different SSIDs for the different bands in case the app designers fail to write a 2.4GHz connector into their apps. 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 8
GHG66
Initiate

Rif.: Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices

I found an empirical but functional solution to solve the problem.
By setting from advanced wireless settings the transmission power of 5 ghz to 25% and putting the mobile phone and the device remotely from the router or satellite, only 2.4 works. So I managed to configure everything. Then just bring the power back to 100%.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Rif.: Orbi - Force 2.4GHz only to connect smart devices

Thanks for letting us know.

Enjoy. 


@GHG66 wrote:

I found an empirical but functional solution to solve the problem.
By setting from advanced wireless settings the transmission power of 5 ghz to 25% and putting the mobile phone and the device remotely from the router or satellite, only 2.4 works. So I managed to configure everything. Then just bring the power back to 100%.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 26642 views
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements