Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Gigibyte

frcraig
Follower

Orbi Gigibyte

Sorry if this has been answerd.  I have read some questions and answers on the subject on the forum but to be honest, I didn't quite understand the answers.  I have the Orbi router and one satellite.  I have a cat7 ethernet cable connected from the Orbi router to a port on the back of my ISP's fiber op Gigabyte HH3000 modem.  The modem delivers one gigabyte per second (1000mb/sec) speed.  If I run a speed test on my desktop computer (connected by ethernet cable to the ISP's modem) it registers 1.2 gb per second, but when I test my wireless devices that are connected to the Orbi router / and or the Orbi satellite (Galaxy Note 9 mobile phone, Samsung Chromebook Pro, etc.) the speed test results are never higher than 260 mb/sec.  I have tried setting the Orbi router's setting to Access Point, and to Router, but I get the same results.  I have gone into the ISP's fiber op modem and configured DMZ for the Orbi router, but that doesn't change the wireless speed either.  The specifications for the Orbi router say it is capable of 1 gigabyte/second speed, so what am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any advice.  

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Gigibyte

You need to check with the wireless devices Mfr about what thruput speeds you will see on them. Not all wireless devices are capable of seeing 1Gb and will not see much over 400-500Mb on wireless speeds depending upon wireless device design and intended speed support. This is a wireless device limiation is all. 

Always test wired ethernet speeds with a PC or Laptop. Also be aware that some older PCs or Laptops will be limited on ethernet speeds as well. Mainly CPU speeds will effect 1Gb speed testing. I have same 1Gb speed test on my system. The only PC that can successfully speedtest accurately is my quad core Mac Mini. My two dual core PCs can't. There older CPUs. So take this into account as well if you have an older PC/Laptop.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7