Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Guest Network Access Control

LarryC1957
Aspirant

Orbi Guest Network Access Control

If the access control option to Block all new devices is selected, do this also block all new devices from accessing the Guest network ?  If so, how does one block just new devices on the non-guest Network & allow Guests to access the Guest network?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello LarryC1957 

It shouldn't block devices on the guest network if it is isolated from the main network.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
tsutaz
Guide

My wife attached to our guest network and when I looked at attached devices, the iPad was blocked. She wasn't able to do anything. I just purchased my Orbi and installed on Dec 28th, 2016. So, is there a way to separate blocked devices on Guest network vs Home network? Thanks
Message 3 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tsutaz

Have you updated to the latest firmware 1.4.0.34 customers have reported that is has been fixing the issue where devices show as blocked.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 10
tsutaz
Guide

Ha!, at the time of my posting on Jan 3rd, if memory recalls correctly, .34 firmware was not avail. My ORBI is on an AUTO update mode, so I will check this afternoon when I get home. Will post my findings back here. Thanks
Message 5 of 10
Pesto242
Star

The access control "black all new devices" definitely does block any request to the Orbi system. That includes Guest or the standard SSID. I have not found a way to separate this. However, that is my preference anyway as the guest network utilizes a less secure password and for that I want the added security benefit.

Message 6 of 10
tsutaz
Guide

I agree with you, I'm kinda liking that feature too, however, it's the wife that was complaining about the access. Guess she'll just have to learn how to unblock devices too. So given that my 13 year old quite often, has her friends from next door sleep over, just last night for example. They were not allowed on the guest network because they were blocked and I wasn't getting out of bed to unblock them. I don't mind giving them guest access, but when they leave, how do I know they are off the network, my my signal might actually reach the neighbors house.
Message 7 of 10
Pesto242
Star

Oh yes, I have a 2 year old girl so I don't have that issue yet.

I think it would be very helpful if they could allow the genie app to unblock devices so that we can have people like our wifes easily do this. No way my wife will login to the webpage and try to find this.

Message 8 of 10
LarryC1957
Aspirant

Is the Orbi guest Network isolated from the Non Guest Network by design ?  If not, I guess the answers is when Block All Devices is on then all devices are blocked regardless of which network they're on.

Message 9 of 10
rhester72
Virtuoso

@LarryC1957 wrote:

Is the Orbi guest Network isolated from the Non Guest Network by design ?  If not, I guess the answers is when Block All Devices is on then all devices are blocked regardless of which network they're on.

It is.

Rodney

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7