Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Guest Network

mjbauer
Aspirant

Orbi Guest Network

After setting up a guest network (broadcast SSID, no password) Internet and netowrk access would stop. Orbi utility on my phone (iPhone) could not fiind the Orbi netwrok A reboot of the system solved the problem for a 10-15 minutes. After several reboots and the same results, brief periods of conenctivity, I removed the guest network, rebooted once more and everything seems stable and reliable again. There ws no LED ndication from main or satellites that there was a problem

Hardware Version RBR50
Firmware Version V1.4.0.18

I'd really like to have a guest network here as we get a lot of people at parties, etc who I'd like to give internet access to but I don't want to compromise my network

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
rhester72
Virtuoso

Guest networks had a number of issues on earlier firmware releases - suggest you upgrade to the latest release.

Rodney

Message 2 of 5
mjbauer
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip!

Do you recommend trying the systems firmware update or manual? How do I find the latest version of the firmware for the units?

Thanks again

Mike

Message 3 of 5
Arjun0o
Guide

Latest firmware for RBR50 is 1.12.0.18. Try to upgrade to the latest firmware version by using the GUI of the router, if that does not work, you will have to do it manually. Ping me, I will let you know the steps.

Message 4 of 5
mjbauer
Aspirant

Update, I did a manual firmware update to 2.0.0.74 all in the hope of setting up a guest network and solving some intermittent network drops from my DirectTv Genie (solved another way) 

Installed the firmware and then spent about 2 total hours on the phone with Netgear support. End result, they sent me a new router because they thought it was a hardware failure. I was/am a bit sceptical as it worked fine without out it but was unworkable with 2.0.0.74, so we'll see what happens today. Curious to see what version of firmware comes with it. The satellites are already updated to 2.0.0/74 so it may be interesting 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7