Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Has Locked Me Out?

OzzzieMike
Apprentice

Orbi Has Locked Me Out?

I just wanted to glance at a couple of things in my Orbi app on my iPhone, and I was surprised, when I launched the app, that I needed to log in.  When I tapped on fingerprint scan login option, it said my password was invalid. When I typed in the only Netgear Orbi password I've ever had, it said that was invalid.  (It's been asking for my admin password...I can't recall it asking for that before).

So I found instructions on how to reset my admin password.  First off, I was disappointed their system doesn't support the Safari browser...what's up with that?  Anyway...I launched Chrome and followed the instructions...entering in the serial number of my router, then I was presented with two security questions I honestly don't recall setting up...the name of my first Netgear product?....).  So I tried answering both questions, but I wasn't able to answer them properly (I guess).

So now what?  I can't log in to my Orbi app, nor can I log in via my browser as admin, as it's not taking my password.

Naturally, my complimentary Netgear support ended in March, so I can't communicate directly wit them.

Is there anything I can do?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

A factory reset using the pinhole on the back of the router will reset the password to the defaults. Press in and hold until the power LED goes from green to flashing amber.  Try the defaults prior to resetting:  admin/password.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

A factory reset using the pinhole on the back of the router will reset the password to the defaults. Press in and hold until the power LED goes from green to flashing amber.  Try the defaults prior to resetting:  admin/password.

Message 2 of 6
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll try resetting via the pin hole tomorrow, as I don't want to run the risk of being without a web connection today/tonite.

(BTW...I know the admin/password won't work, as I tried that first).

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Also walk thru the setup wizard, this gives you the oportunity to set up a new PW for the Admin account.

Message 4 of 6
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

I was able to perform the factory reset and go thru the setup process on my iPhone.  This time, I wrote down the admin password and security questions, making sure the admin password is not the same as the network password.

I guess, because I kept the same network name and network password, I didn't have to reconnect all my other devices...a HUGE timesaver.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Gald the suggestion worked. Enjoy.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements