Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Home Automation Compatibility

_AT_
Aspirant

Orbi Home Automation Compatibility

Hello,

Are there any roadmaps for Orbi to integrate ++ with a certain Home Automation brand? Like what a certain "search engine" brand is doing with their WiFi mesh solution.

Having a mesh network device that can give a better UI and App control of the home automation device i.e. light switches, wall sockets, would be a great feature.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
murchman
Apprentice

Can you go into more detail on what you would like to see as I am trying to understand how it would work. I have a number of devices that are all controlled by my Echo from thermostats, lights, to garage doors and I am interested as to how the router would make it better?

Message 2 of 8
_AT_
Aspirant

I am looking at getting a mesh WiFi network device (in the UK Orbi has just been released), and the other brands are not too far from being released (in the UK)

I noticed that the other brands (Google WiFi) have extra functionality with Phillips (for example) for home automation. So just wondered if Orbi was planning something of the same, and if so was it a specfic brand (considering there seems to be no common intergration between brands).

I dont want an Echo device, so would like some sort of functionality within the Mesh network device (Only as other brands are bringing it in).

Message 3 of 8
Hydro130
Luminary

Deleted post 

Message 4 of 8
_AT_
Aspirant

Hi,

I was reading this review of the Google Wifi which noted home automation.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/6/13843536/google-wifi-review-mesh-router-system-vs-eero

"In addition, the app lets you see how many devices are connected to your network, pause Wi-Fi on specific devices, prioritize others, and easily create a guest network. It also has very basic smart home features, which are limited to controlling Philips Hue lights at the moment. The app allows for remote access to the network, so you can manage it even when you’re not at home."

Message 5 of 8
Hydro130
Luminary

OK, I see what what you mean now - I was incorrect in my original response when I said that it didn't have any such capability.

I don't know if Netgear has any such plans for the Orbi (or even if Orbi itself could do any of that), but it's an interesting capability!

Chris

Message 6 of 8

@_AT_ wrote:

Hi,

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/6/13843536/google-wifi-review-mesh-router-system-vs-eero

yet another review that makes no sense , the facxt is we are all looking for best wifi performance , the other stuff is secondary 

and how does having less units with better wifi performance been a bad thing 

Message 7 of 8
_AT_
Aspirant

I agree we are all looking for the best performance, and thus why I want the Orbi.

How many devices you need to create the mesh is not a major part of the choice for me (as long as it works for the area I want to cover). And looking at the transfer rates the Orbi was achieving in that write up was impressive compared the the others.

Within a few years these devices will become common place in the home, and to become the market leader the wifi performance will become a mandatory requirement, but also what else the device can do will be very important. (Hence Google's vision of brining in other functions).

How many different devices like this do you want sitting on a shelf looking good? Personally I want 1 that can do a mesh wifi, smart device control (allowing external control), and other things as well.

If Netgear can be ahead of the curve on this then they are on to a winner long term. Fingers crossed they are listening.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7