Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi IGMP BT Youview multicast IPTV

polopolo
Follower

Orbi IGMP BT Youview multicast IPTV

Hi,

Bought this 400£ system supposed to stream 4K and I am still under shock that it doesn't support BT IGMP. Is there a workaroung ?

Is this coming soon ???

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 32
acapdu
Star

Very disappointed as well. I've seen a comment online saying it was supposed to be end of jan but that's not released yet. Could never happen unless there is an unlikely tweet about this.

Message 2 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm suprised it doesn't support it at launch as other Netgear routers support it. I wanted to use an ADSL modem then the Orbi in router mode. For now I've had to plug it into the BT SmartHub and use the Orbi in AP mode. Far from ideal as I'm keen to ditch the SmartHub but at least I get the great wifi coverage.

I haven't heard anything official other than a comment from Netgear support in the comments on a German Amazon page. They said "end of January".

Message 3 of 32
acapdu
Star

Please contact the support directly. The more request they receive the sooner it might come.

Message 4 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It might also be worth firing off a tweet directly to @netgear
They are normally very good with their respones, plus it might nudge someone to follow up.
Message 5 of 32
acapdu
Star

From Netgear Support:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at NETGEAR Email support.

With regard to your case, the Orbi does not have IGMP multicast feature. However, we can forward this as a feature request. We cannot provide an ETA on when this will be available. You may check our support site for updates.

Message 6 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have checked and IGMP/IPTV support will be added in the next firmware on the router only.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The firmware update was released today. Will be testing it out shortly.

Message 8 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I still can't get BT TV or any multicast stream to work. I have the BT TV wired directly to the Orbi router. I have unticked "Disable IGMP Proxying" and have ticked "Support British telecom IGMP Proxying". I've rebooted everything several times.

Anyone get this working?

Message 9 of 32
acapdu
Star

is your TV connected to the orbi router or satellite ?

Message 10 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The BT TV box is cabled directly into the Orbi router.

Message 11 of 32
acapdu
Star

I tried and it works. Only issue is that streaming live TV channels from BT is not flawless. Especially in 4k there are too many interruptions for watching a football game even when I see 50Mbs available on fast.com from my mobile phone.

Message 12 of 32
chrza
Guide

The newest FW 1.5.0.12 should support IGMP proxy!

http://kb.netgear.com/000037330/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-1-5-0-12

Message 13 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What do you use as an ADSL/VDSL modem with your Orbi?

Message 14 of 32
acapdu
Star

bt smart hub

Message 15 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Then you must be using Orbi in AP mode? And if so, the IGMP proxy problem isn't an issue. 

Message 16 of 32
martyfp
Luminary

I am struggling BT-TV working with the Orbi in full-Router mode.  I can get it to work just fine in AP mode (with BT homehub as modem/router) but I cannot get it to work using a Vigor130 modem + Orbi as router 

• On the 130 Modem - I have enabled full bridge mode according to Draytek support instructions for BT-TV (I see reports online of this working with other routers).
  • On the Orbi - de-selected "Disable IGMP Proxying" and ticked "Support British Telecom IGMP Proxying".  + reboot.
  • YouView Box hardwired directly to Orbi router has a static IP assigned.  Orbi reports Youview box ias connected.

In this config, I am finding that all internet based services (multicast, iPlayer, netflix) did not work which I find suspicious.  Possibly something wrong with my youview box as they are notoriously flakey.

Message 17 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That was exactly my issue and it turned out to be a bug with the firmware. They fixed it in a beta version then broke it again with the subsequent public release.

What firmware are you running? Beta 1.12.0.12 has it working again.
Message 18 of 32
martyfp
Luminary

OK - so I am not going mad then. Smiley Frustrated  It's been driving me nuts trying different things to kick it into life.

I am running 1.11.0.20  but have just requested latest 1.12beta... finger's crossed.

Many thanks - I will update....

Message 19 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You may already know this but a quick test of BT TV multicast is to open rtp://234.81.130.4:5802 in VLC on any PC or Mac on your network. That's the BT test channel. 

It sounds like you've already done it but just incase this is what I had to do on my Vigor 130: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-130-bridge

Message 20 of 32
martyfp
Luminary

Thanks. Yes I followed the vigor guide in your link. I'm sure everything thing is setup properly. Have double checked several times.

Thanks for the test page. I will try that tomorrow when I get 5 minutes
Message 21 of 32
martyfp
Luminary

I tested rtp://234.81.130.4:5802 with the Orbi in AP mode (with HH5 as modem/router) and it worked just fine. With Orbi as the router then it did not connect at all.  Same as with BT box.

I will try again when I get the beta installed.

Message 22 of 32
martyfp
Luminary

Hi adrewery 

Can you confirm that with Vigor130 + Orbi in router mode + latest beta FW that you have BT-TV running ?  How about with UHD channels if you have them ?

I am still waiting on getting hold of the beta but also struggling with constant wifi disconnects.  Currently, the orbi is disconnected and I'm trying to decide whether to return it or hold out a little longer.  

Message 23 of 32
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, I have exactly that setup. Vigor 130, Orbi in router mode and BT TV. I don't have their UHD service though. It all works with the latest beta firmware.

Overall things are fairly stable. I still get some dropouts on my iPad occasionaly and streaming to the iPad can be slow when it's connected to the satellite. It's the new iPad Pro 10.5 so might be something specific to that. All the other various devices in the house (mix of android and iOS) seem fine.

The only thing that doesnt work is the Parental Controls. That's frustrating but not a deal breaker as I'm manually using OpenDNS and have setup some scheduled blocking in the Orbi config.

Message 24 of 32
martyfp
Luminary

nice one - thanks.  If I can get that bit working at least then I will feel happier...   I think the UHD stuff should work once the multicast is working, main difference will be the higher bitrate.

1.12.0.18 has just been released so will try it tonight. finger's crossed on the dropouts

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7