Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi IP Address Range

tony_ngear
Aspirant

Orbi IP Address Range

The default DHCP range is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.

I seem unable to modify this to be able to use 192.168.xx.yy or 172.16.xx.yy. 

Is this just me or is this a limitation on the Orbi and if so when will Netgear provide this capability.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Does using a different browser have any difference?

Is there a reason why you need 172?

Ive been able to set 192.168.0.100 thru .200 on mine...

Possible NG may have set limitations on what class of IP address is supported on them...

Message 2 of 20
tony_ngear
Aspirant

Thx for your examples.

172.16.xx.yy was just an example as I tried that as well for completeness, I would probably stick with 192.168.xx.yy.

I was using Chrome browser and my Orbi is configured as a router interfacing to a BT modem. My BT HomeHub 5 offers a DHCP Network Range of, for example, 172.16.0.64 - 172.16.255.254 (which was partly why I tried using 172.16.xx.yy) so it is not an ISP limitation.

I notice that you were able to set 192.168.0.100 thru .200 but have you managed to change the third field/octet i.e. 192.168.10.100 or 192.168.20.100 so that theaddrtess range would be, for example, 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.10.200?

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Well for one you can't use a router on the same IP address and subnet like that.

If your modem already has a built in router and uses 172, then the only 172 address that the Orbi can use is on it's WAN port. The LAN side would need to be 172.17.xx.yy. This should work on the LAN side of the Orbi.

And no you can't use 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.10.200 as a LAN side IP address range. Has to be .0.100 to .0.254 or .10.100 to 10.254.

3rd Octet has to be the same for begining address to ending address range.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router

Message 4 of 20
toddrob
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And no you can't use 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.10.200 as a LAN side IP address range. Has to be .0.100 to .0.254 or .10.100 to 10.254.

3rd Octet has to be the same for begining address to ending address range.

Is this a hard limitation? Is there a way to have the DHCP range span more of the subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.1.250 with a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0)? If not, I guess I'll have to rethink what part of the subnet I use for static IPs... Basically my only option will be to use 192.168.0.X for DHCP and 192.168.1.X for static. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats been a networking standard since the dawn of time. 

I wanting to check out more IP address and subnets, look for the IPAddressCalculator online. Theres free ones on web sites and free installable programs. I would highly recommend takeing the Networking + Comptia course for general knowledge and information on howe IP addressing and subnets works. It's a good class and great knowledge to learn about, espeically with dealing with networks. 

Message 6 of 20
toddrob
Guide

I think you misunderstood. I understand subnetting, and I have set up my subnet as 192.168.0.1/23 (mask 255.255.254.0). This gives me a range of IPs on my subnet from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.255. I want to be able to have the router assign IP addresses from 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.1.200, as an example, but the router is forcing the third octet to be the same for the start and end IP in the DHCP range definition. You said the range has to be that way (third octet the same for start and end), and my question is whether you know that is the definite hard rule, or if you are just saying that because the web UI has the third octet field disabled.
Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Home class routers don't support this kind of subnetting. 

Message 8 of 20
broyuken
Initiate

I don't buy that answer. There has to be a way to change the dhcp range to be a /23. I am running into the same issue.

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

IT seems that any kind of subnetting is not supported thus grayed out when trying to configure the IP address pool range. I presume NG doesn't support this as again, this is a home class router meant for simple home user needs. Most home users don't have over 200 devices on there network. If you need subnetting, I would recommend reviewing a business class router or use a SW based router like Windows Server. 

@broyuken wrote:

I don't buy that answer. There has to be a way to change the dhcp range to be a /23. I am running into the same issue.

Message 10 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@toddrob wrote:

Is this a hard limitation? Is there a way to have the DHCP range span more of the subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.1.250 with a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0)? If not, I guess I'll have to rethink what part of the subnet I use for static IPs... Basically my only option will be to use 192.168.0.X for DHCP and 192.168.1.X for static. 

This is not a hard limitation. I think it's just a software bug that the GUI does not change the allowed DHCP range when you change the netmask. If you think it's important for you to have that big range of IP addresses then please report this to NG Support and I hope that this can be fixed in coming releases. Otherwise the 2-254 DHCP range is quite big for a "normal" home user. It goes without saying that all the other addresses within the netmask that you set in Orbi can be used for static IP addresses.

Message 11 of 20
randomousity
Luminary

I can't really experiment right now, but have you tried changing the subnet mask and then applying the changes? I have the first three octets of the DHCP pool grayed out, and I tried changing the subnet mask to see if the third octet would become editable (it didn't), but I didn't want to apply the changes and disrupt connections. It's possible the DHCP pool is derived from the router's IP address and subnet mask that have been applied, so by changing the IP and/or subnet mask, the portion of the DHCP pool addresses that can be edited will change as appropriate.

Though, I just tested changing the IP address, and the DHCP pool addresses changed immediately, without applying, as soon as I moved the cursor out of the changed octet's field, so maybe not. It might just be lazy programming on their part (maybe even just on the GUI, and the router itself is actualy capable of handling it), and they just assume home users won't need more than 254 IP addresses, so they have it set to copy the first three octets from the IP address to the DHCP pool, regardless of subnet mask. It's possible you can successfully use /23, etc. if you do it from the command line. At least from the web GUI, it seems the third octet in the Orbi's IP address will define the third octet in the DHCP pool.

As for your ISP router allowing 172.16.0.64 - 172.16.255.254, that's a function of the router (and, perhaps, the provisioning by the ISP if it's a modem/router combo unit), but not anything the ISP would be able to restrict on your Orbi. If you had a commercial-grade router, you could use 10.0.0.0 as your network, and your ISP would not know, care, or be able to prevent it.

Message 12 of 20
broyuken
Initiate

With smart home devices that connect to WiFi it is becoming increasingly possible to have over 200 devices on your network. This is going to become even more of an issue as time goes on and the number of smart devices grows.
Message 13 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@randomousity wrote:

.......... and I tried changing the subnet mask to see if the third octet would become editable (it didn't), but I didn't want to apply the changes and disrupt connections. It's possible the DHCP pool is derived from the router's IP address and subnet mask that have been applied, so by changing the IP and/or subnet mask, the portion of the DHCP pool addresses that can be edited will change as appropriate.

I tested that and the DHCP range did not change after Applying the changes. In fact I lost all my 48 IP address reservations as a result and had to enter them again 😞

Is seems that Orbi is currently designed to have a limited sized DHCP pool, assuming that a home user will not need more than than dynamic 251 addresses. The rest of the subnet addresses can be used for static IP addresses if needed.

Message 14 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@broyuken wrote:
With smart home devices that connect to WiFi it is becoming increasingly possible to have over 200 devices on your network. This is going to become even more of an issue as time goes on and the number of smart devices grows.

I completely agree!

Message 15 of 20
toddrob
Guide

My complimentary 90 days of support has ended. It looks like I have to purchase premium support in order to report a bug. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 16 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@toddrob wrote:

My complimentary 90 days of support has ended. It looks like I have to purchase premium support in order to report a bug. Is that correct or am I missing something?

I would think of your request as an enhancement rather than fixing a bug. The current implementation in Orbi is that it supports DHCP pool up to 254 addresses (from 1 to 254) and you think that more addresses are needed, please post a request for enhancement here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

@Blanca_O

Message 17 of 20
toddrob
Guide

Ah yes, I am quite familiar with the bug vs. enhancement game. If it’s always been that way, it must not be a bug, right? In any case I will submit to the community page you suggested, which I assume is largely a black hole where Netgear can direct users they don’t want to deal with. Thanks for the link.
Message 18 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@toddrob wrote:
Ah yes, I am quite familiar with the bug vs. enhancement game. If it’s always been that way, it must not be a bug, right? In any case I will submit to the community page you suggested, which I assume is largely a black hole where Netgear can direct users they don’t want to deal with. Thanks for the link.

You're most welcome 🙂 Good luck!

Message 19 of 20
toddrob
Guide

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements