Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Inconsistent Speeds -- can this problem be fixed with a firmware update?

Brads515
Guide

Orbi Inconsistent Speeds -- can this problem be fixed with a firmware update?

I am considering whether or not to keep my Orbi or return it. 

I have VERY inconsistent speeds from the router and the satellite -- at times I will get 75mps and at times 3-5mps download speeds.

Is this a problem that is likely permanent, or is this something that likely can be fixed with a firmware update?

If a firmware update will likely fix this, I probably will keep the system, but if this is a hardware type issue that will always be the case with the unit, I probably will return it. I am also wondering if its possible that I have a faulty unit and replacing it will be a fix?

Thanks in advance!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
creaky
Star

Re: Orbi Inconsistent Speeds -- can this problem be fixed with a firmware update?

I'm hoping this is a firmware issue. I used to get 200+ mbps speeds on my laptop and now I can't break 100 (with an Ethernet wire connection directly to the cable modem I can break 300 mbps) after the last FW update. Speeds went down to 10-15 mbps and I had to reboot the Orbi router to get WiFi speeds back to around 90. I'll install 1.8.0.6 tomorrow and see if that helps. 

Message 2 of 7
Leeramos
Initiate

Re: Orbi Inconsistent Speeds -- can this problem be fixed with a firmware update?

I was hoping someone from Netgear would have answered you. I have had my ORBI for a while and having the same inconsistent issues. Have had TWC out here and if use their Wifi no issues, while mine will slow down and/or loose connection. I bought this expensive thing so I would eliminate issues.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 7
JMU1998
Luminary

Can someone who has beta Firmware comment if this issue is resolved? 

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not resolved for me on beta. The weird thing is if I restart the device like my phone, I'll get good speeds for a couple of hours then it will all of a sudden be slow again. 

I'm sure Netgear would see that response and say "Oh it's your phone's fault!" but it's not. The same thing happens on multiple devices and it never happens on any other router's wifi.

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

For those of you with the option to return it, go for it and never look back. All these issues are almost 10 months old and nothing has been fixed. We all fell for the same reviews and went for the Orbi but are now stuck. If you do wait it out, definitely start a support ticket before your 90 days is up. It will be worthless, and the communication will be a huge hassle but if you don't at least start one, calling support will cost you I think $140 just to call on day 91.

Message 6 of 7
Landerx
Apprentice

The issue is this. The orbi operates under one network name but really it's two Networks... One 2.4 gigahertz and the other 5 gigahertz. so sometimes it doesn't connect right away to the 5 gigahertz.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7