Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Install Experience

JBMN
Star

Orbi Install Experience

Well, 2 hours later I'm up and running (mostly due to the first challenge).  It was a bit harder than it should be, but workable for someone who has probably done many wifi acess points, modems, etc, over the years.   

The positives: 

• During setup, I changed the the orbi SSID/password to that of my previous wifi network.  Once the router and satellite restarted, everything (NestCam, wifi printers, mobile devices) just reconnected.  My wife was gone today. I'm not going to tell her and see if she notices any difference.
  • Reserved IP's for my two Wifi connected printers were very straightforward.  I like being able to rename devices.

The challenges:

• I had to revert to ethernet connected setup for the Orbi. Every screen or two during the setup wizard would give a"not found" on a page load.  Dropping and connecting the wifi on the tablet would give a connection, but the wizard would fall back to it's last steps. 
  • The firmware upgrade on the satellite was a manual upgrade via download, but looks like that was a known issue on the Satellite with 1.1.0.16 (the shipping firmware) based on the release notes. I wonder how many folks are going to get stuck on that firmware because they are not comortable with the manual upload.

I'm going to spin up seperate threads for a few curiosities (admin screen timeout seems really short, request for a wall mount, how will a device chose the satellite).  So far, so good. 

Message 1 of 19
spewak
Luminary

• The firmware upgrade on the satellite was a manual upgrade via download, but looks like that was a known issue on the Satellite with 1.1.0.16 (the shipping firmware) based on the release notes. I wonder how many folks are going to get stuck on that firmware because they are not comortable with the manual upload.

The manual upload consisted of a click of the mouse and no more. Not very difficult.
Message 2 of 19
JBMN
Star

I didn't say it was difficult.  The manual update experience (outside of having to log into the Satellite separately) is straightfoward.

My point is that given how the Orbi is marketed, I don't see a lot of people going into the admin.  Most competitive routers have an auto-update feature that keeps the firmware up to date.  Given the lack of auto-update on the Orbi and the number of consumers that are likely to stop after the inital setup screens, I see netgear having quite a few satellites not getting updated.  

Message 3 of 19
spewak
Luminary

You are missing the point of my point?

In the instructions for install it clearly states to login to orbilogin.net and immediately I was presented with the firmware upgrade. Right in the "initial setup screen" as you said. What are you saying about how it is marketed? Netgear produces competitive routers. You are losing me son.

Message 4 of 19
th3w01f
Apprentice

It sounds like my FW update was somewhere between what the two of you experienced. 

I wasn't prompted to update but once I had everything up and running, I went into Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update and about 30 seconds later it showed updated firmware available for both the router and satellite.  From there I just clicked ‘Update All’. 

Message 5 of 19
dmystic1
Apprentice

A Ethernet connection and using orbilogin.com did not work for me. I could only access orbilogin from my iPhone. After everything was up and running it works wirelessly from my computer. But at random times it does not. I also find that that anytime I restart the orbi it will not connect with my modem. I always have to restart the modem as well. I have an arris sb6190.
Message 6 of 19

I haven't been able to update the Orbi sattelite yet. I've got the firmware downloaded and ready but I keep getting this error; Not sure what to do about this.

The CGI script took too long to produce a response

Message 7 of 19

hi

check your antivirus or firewall is not blocking the connection

ensure you are connected to the orbi by ethernet only

also the download file is zipped , ensure you unzip it before attempting to install

Message 8 of 19

should i be connected to the satelite or the router by ethernet connection? The router updated wirelessly.

Message 9 of 19

connect by ethernet to the router

the rbr50 firmware is installed on the router  . the rbs50 firmware is installed on the sat

Message 10 of 19

Had no problems doing a manual firmware update to the router. Even did it wirelessly. I've tried wireless and ethernet connections on both the router and the satellite with no luck. Still getting the same CGI script error message as I originally posted.

I'm really happy with the speed and range of my wifi signal but this problem is beginning to really frustrate me.

Message 11 of 19
JBMN
Star

Here was the step by step for me to manually update the Satellite as near as I can remember.  You may have already done this, but just in case.

1. I was connected via Ethernet to the router, used Chrome in Private mode (avoid cookie issues, etc) on Windows 10 to access the admin screens
  2. Downloaded the Satellite firmware from the Netgear site
  3. Clicked on manual upgrade tab
  4. Selected the file unzipped firmware file
  5. Selected the Satellite checkbox
  6. I got a pop-up that prompted me to log in again (is the pop-up windows the one giving the CGI script error?)
  7. Selected the file again in the pop-up windows
  8. It loaded then applied to the Satellite and then the Satellite restarted
  9. After the Satellite re-started, the firmware screen showed both as being updated

Message 12 of 19

Thanks for the input. I was able to get the problem resolved with some excellent help from Netgear support over the phone. In the end, I had to do a reset on the satellite and once it was reconnected, the firmware update installed without an issue.

Message 13 of 19
DF
Aspirant
Aspirant

You do not unzip fireware updates. That will cause errors.   When installing new firmware to any device you never unzip the firmware update. Be careful of what you post as you can cause big problems for people who think you are giving out accurate information. 

Message 14 of 19
JBMN
Star

Hey DF, perhaps we are talking past each other, but I don't further unpack the actual firmware (.img) file.  Netgear provide the firmware image and release notes in a zip file for the ORBI, so I do extract those two files.  When I manually updated my satellite, it was looking for the .img file.

Message 15 of 19
TomMac
Guru

Well , a little late to the game , but no problem with my Orbi install.

5 mins from plug in of Router ( and a reboot of the modem ) it was hooked in.  Satellite placed about 40ft away in closet came up in 2 mins.

Opted to direct connect to Orbi and just went to the base IP address to setup and change SSID/passphase. BTW, asked right away if I want to update the SW and with a click a few mins later done.

Satellite keeping everything happy at the far end of the home and no jumping problem between units I can see.... time will tell.

Signal strength is aprox 10 Dbi up over old router, so it's a good improvement.

Have to say it was pretty easy overall right out of box.

Down side is;

No guest mode ( tho I hear it will prob be sooner of later )

No external antenna port  ( I have a 15dbi gain omni antenna in my attic i could hook to )

Message 16 of 19

a single antenna would be useless in mimo and for wireless ac anyway , the days of external antennas is over beam forming also need 3 antennas

Message 17 of 19
TomMac
Guru

Yes,  did I say my old router was old... Brain fart on my part

Message 18 of 19
cyberprashant
Luminary

I was able to fix this by using IE instead of chrome. (re: Cgi took too long error).  

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7