Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Installation with rented Spectrum Modem/Router

dsmith611
Aspirant

Orbi Installation with rented Spectrum Modem/Router

Hi - 

I currently have a rented modem/router from Spectrum (Los Angeles - 90026).   Technicolor (TC8715D).   I also use Apple Airport's.  (all dated I know).  I want to purchase an Orbi Wifi Mesh Network system.  A few questions, as I'm not that savvy here.

A)  Do I still need a router/modem after I buy the Orbi AC3000 (RBK50).   

- If yes - do you recommend I stop renting mine from Spectrum and purchase a new one?  

- If yes - any recommendations on what I need to complete my set up? 

My hosue is 3 stories.  is the 2 pack enough? 

I greatly appreciate all your support & information.  I've seen a lot of great answers.  

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi Installation with rented Spectrum Modem/Router

@dsmith611 wrote:

- If yes - do you recommend I stop renting mine from Spectrum and purchase a new one?  

You still need a modem that has a coax cable interface that your ISP provides. The existing router will do, but if there is a simpler modem with no routing nor wifi capabilities that will be even better.

@dsmith611 wrote:

It depends on the area of the floors, the building material and if you have dead spots in the house. Generally 2-pack AC3000 nodes will be enough up to 4500 sq ft. If you have large floors and metal/cement building material then I would recommend one unit per floor.

Message 2 of 6
dsmith611
Aspirant

Thank you so much.  For simplicity and efficiency, is there a Netgear Modem you recommend? 

Message 3 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@dsmith611 wrote:

Thank you so much.  For simplicity and efficiency, is there a Netgear Modem you recommend? 

If you're not using the router for anything else like telephony or TV, then it's enough to have a MoCa adapter like Netgear MC1001.

https://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/NETGEAR-MCA1001v2-D-05092014-2.pdf

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Check to see if your ISP supports NGs CM1000 or CM1100 modems. These do not have any built in router.

@dsmith611 wrote:

Hi - 

I currently have a rented modem/router from Spectrum (Los Angeles - 90026).   Technicolor (TC8715D).   I also use Apple Airport's.  (all dated I know).  I want to purchase an Orbi Wifi Mesh Network system.  A few questions, as I'm not that savvy here.

I greatly appreciate all your support & information.  I've seen a lot of great answers.  

Message 5 of 6
dsmith611
Aspirant

Thank you!  I do use the router for my Apple TV & wireless calling.   So I need something to replace my rented modem/router that will support Spectrum (Los Angles, CA 90026) that will support my orbi mesh system, apple TV, etc.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7