Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Internet Issues...

cenastyle
Tutor

Orbi Internet Issues...

Bought and installed new Orbi system yesterday. Everything worked great, with the exception I was getting roughly 1/2 the speed I was with my Xfinity gateway. Fast forward to today, I’ve had to restart it 7 times already. It keeps telling me I’m connected to the Orbi network, but have no internet access. If I disconnect and reconnect to my Xfinity gateway, I have internet. This is the second Netgear router I’ve had issues with. In fact, the reason I bought this is because my Nighthawk X8 R8500 died in less than 2 years. Firmware is all up to date on the Orbi. Contemplating Linksys Velop or Eero at this point.
Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/gateway?

If this has a built in router, you need to do the following, either have the ISP put the modem into full transparent bridge mode, or if it can't do this, use the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Input this IP address into the modems DMZ and disable all wireless and uPnP features.

If you don't want to run the Orbi system as a main host router, you can leave the modem in router mode then use the Orbi system in AP mode. This will disable most of the Orbi router features however. Just the MESH wifi system will be available.

Message 2 of 13
cenastyle
Tutor

It is already in bridge mode. I believe it’s an Arris, but I can check later when I get back home.
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please let us know the model when you can.

Also swap out ethernet cables between modem as router as well. CAT6 is recommended. Shorest length possible.

What Speeds UP and Down do you pay for?

What FW version is currently loaded on the router?

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many and what channels are they using?

When you loose internet, do you still access to the routers web page?

Message 4 of 13
ChewyWest
Aspirant

When you say you have the latest firmware are you trusting the Orbi to tell you you're up to date ? because it lies.  The latest firmware that I'm aware of is :  2.1.2.18.   My Orbi was on an older firmware and the "check for update" feature was telling me I was up to date.   I had to manually update to 2.2.18 and all of my issues went away.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 13

2.1.2.18 is hot garbage. Constant disconnects, vanishing internet. Exactly what the original poster described. I've had much better luck with 2.0.1.4.

Netgear has a support article about installing it:

https://kb.netgear.com/000054791/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-0-1-4

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets see what version is currently on the OP router first. This maybe an FW issue or something else. Rather not jump to any conclusions...

Message 7 of 13

Once he's done checking his cables, maybe check NASA for recent solar flare activity. Could be so many things unrelated to buggy Netgear firmware.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Buggy FW hasn't been ruled out either. 

Message 9 of 13
ChewyWest
Aspirant

Well that's interesting.  I had disconnects, etc. using 2.0.1.4.   When I upgraded my FW to 2.2.18 everything settled down.  I am hardwired to a Satalite Orbi which I don't think was supported in 2.0.14 and I think the FW update solved that issue.  I've been running fine for a week now with 2.2.18.  Just my experience.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

Message 11 of 13
cenastyle
Tutor

Sorry, just got home. Gateway is a Cisco DPC3941T is bridge mode. My Orbi app is telling me I have firmware version 2.0.0.56. It is telling me there are no updates available, but maybe that’s not the case? With my old Nighthawk and Cisco gateway, I was typically getting 170-190 Mbps. I haven’t seen anything over 90 Mbps with the Orbi. Ethernet cable has been swapped out, as well. My WiFi list pulls up almost 15 different networks for my neighbors. No idea how to check what channels they’re using.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The beta is for RBR50 and RBK50 models. All other models are still waiting...soon.

Find you a wifi scanner for your mobile device and see if you can tell what channels there using. Would be best to find 1, 6 or 11 with minimal use of others if possible. 

Be sure when speed testing that your using a wired ethernet PC connected to the router for more accurate results. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7