Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Internet Speed Test

ob-1
Aspirant

Orbi Internet Speed Test

When you use the built in functionality to undertake a internet speed test - does it temporarily block all connected devices from using bandwith? i.e. give a true reflection of the connected speed up/down?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

I don't believe it blocks devices while it's testing. Something you might contact NG support and see. 

If you have high speed bandwidth down like 1Gb, it's recommended to not use it nor enable Traffic Meter and Access Controls. These have been known to slow the bandwith down. 

Message 2 of 6
RJRCO
Aspirant

It appears that when I use the Orbi App “Internet Speedtest “, it is measuring the speed between the Orbi Router and the internet, rather than between the device I am using to check the speed and the satellite I am connected to? Using the Orbi App speedtest I get a speed of 294Mps, but when I check the speed on the actual Speedtest App from the same device in the same location, I get 94Mps. What’s Up? Both my Satellites are hardwired, and should be providing me the same speed as when I am connected to the Orbi Router correct? NOT HAPPENING
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

The app uses different servers as well from other apps and just tests the speed between the Orbi and the internet thru your ISP modem. 

What are you wired speed results with a PC and a web browser using speedtest.net? 

What device are you using to speed test wirelessly? 

Use WifiSweetSpots to test connection rate between a wireless device and the Orbi WiFi. 

@RJRCO wrote:
It appears that when I use the Orbi App “Internet Speedtest “, it is measuring the speed between the Orbi Router and the internet, rather than between the device I am using to check the speed and the satellite I am connected to? Using the Orbi App speedtest I get a speed of 294Mps, but when I check the speed on the actual Speedtest App from the same device in the same location, I get 94Mps. What’s Up? Both my Satellites are hardwired, and should be providing me the same speed as when I am connected to the Orbi Router correct? NOT HAPPENING

Message 4 of 6
RJRCO
Aspirant

Modem is a CISCO DPCT3941T(Comcast Gateway) in Bridge Mode
Firmware is most current v 2.2.1.210
I have changed the settings to eliminate daisy chain since my 2 Satellites are connected to RB50 router by Ethernet.(Backhaul)
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes...

Test speeds with a wired PC and a web browser to compare speed tests. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7