Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Internet access through VPN but NOT VPN passthrough.

rawb1
Aspirant

Orbi Internet access through VPN but NOT VPN passthrough.

I can log into my remote network where the Orbi is running, and access local shares and NAS equipment.

I'd like to be able to then access the internet out from the remote Orbi. There is no need for a VPN passthrough at that point, just plain old normal Inet access is needed through the Orbi.

The moment I login to the Orbi my email accounts go offline and my web-browser loses connection so clearly my packets are being dropped in the Orbi.

I've looked around here and people seem to be able to get this up an running with no problem.

1 Gbps symmetrical fiber link:
Orbi directly connected to ONT - Orbi is the router so intermediate routers or gateways.

Here are my client OpenVPN settings (on the remote end) and my Orbi Settings page.
The text at eh bottom are the various advanced settings that are in my OpenVPN config file.

Thanks in advance

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Internet access through VPN but NOT VPN passthrough.

Thanks for showing the images. I see this is a tap connection, a 'layer 2' type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP 

I admit to ignorance about how a computer decides which gateway to use when accessing the internet, the gateway on the primary adapter or the gateway on the VPN adapter. (I am not being much help.)

My first thought is to change to a tun connection on port 12973.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Images placed "in-line" using the Photos icon in the menu bar are not visible to others until approved by a forum moderator. There are few moderators, so this can take a long time.  Images "attached" using the Browse button in the lower left are available immediately.

One issue that sometimes occurs is when the LAN that the remote computer is on has the same IP subnet as the Orbi LAN.  Orbi's typically create a 192.168.1.x LAN.  If the remote computer is also on such a LAN, the remote computer now has two interfaces with the same LAN and can get confused.

Message 2 of 5
rawb1
Aspirant

@CrimpOn THanks for the reply:

Locally I am on 10.10.10.1
remote is 10.10.1.1 
So no conflict, thanks for checking though.

I'll see what I can do about the images.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for showing the images. I see this is a tap connection, a 'layer 2' type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP 

I admit to ignorance about how a computer decides which gateway to use when accessing the internet, the gateway on the primary adapter or the gateway on the VPN adapter. (I am not being much help.)

My first thought is to change to a tun connection on port 12973.

Message 4 of 5
rawb1
Aspirant

@CrimpOn THanks heaps!  I am replying to you through the remote VPN!

It was indeed the TAP/TUN split.  I changed port and Method and it actually connected more quickly and is running fine!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7