Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Issue FINALLY solved with roaming throughout my house

encrawford
Tutor

Orbi Issue FINALLY solved with roaming throughout my house

Well it’s taken me a year to finally figure it out but I finally like my Orbi system now.  I own RBR40 with two satellite RBS20 units.  The firmware version on the main unit is  v2.5.1.22

I have a three-story house and my main router is in the basement which is where my ISP comes into the house.  I had one satellite on the first floor and the second satellite on the second floor.  Because my house came hardwired to several locations I had a hardwired connection between the main router and satellite one (on the first floor).  The connection between satellite one and satellite two was wireless. 

My issue was that, try as I might, with the help of community posts and many hours with tech support I was not able to walk throughout the house with my iPhone without manually disconnecting and reconnecting once I reached a new location.  Sometimes it would take upwards of 10 minutes to reconnect.  We tried every configuration in the set up without success.  I won’t bore you with all the specific configurations but trust me I tried everything has to tech support.

Finally, a work colleague suggested that I eliminate the hardwired connection between the main router and satellite one.  As counterintuitive as this was (because to me hardwired always means faster and better) I was willing to try anything. 

Now, I am finally realizing the benefits of my Orbi.   I’m able to roam throughout the house and not have dropped connections and it seamlessly reconnects to the most appropriate Orbi device.  For the first time in over a year I am now glad that I have an Orbi system.

My advice.  Ignore the information that says wired backhaul works and connect your satellites wirelessly!

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Issue FINALLY solved with roaming throughout my house

I've ran both wired and wireless backhaul and haven't had issues with roaming. Not sure why yours was having issues. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7