Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Kills internet speed RBR20

molbart
Aspirant

Orbi Kills internet speed RBR20

My setup is a dsl router modem from frontier. When I test my speed using just that router via a lan cable I get 30mb down and about 4mp up with latency around 30MS. Once I plug in my Orbi to one of the lan ports on the frontier router..... the connectivity measured the same way drops to 0.5mb down and about the same up.... latency shoots up to 800!! 

If I unplug Orbi .... internet speeds return to normal.

I have reduced the wan_lease to 350 

At this point I am not sure what else todo. This appeared to start after the latest firm ware upgrade

I am on V2.5.1.16

HELP! If I cannot resolve this I will be switching over to another mesh network. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Kills internet speed RBR20

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? If there is a built in router here, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 10
molbart
Aspirant

The router/wifi from Frontier is an Arris NVG443B .... 

I will try to turn off the WIFI on that device .... but this issue just started happeing, We had no problems prior to the firmware update whcih I did yesterday. 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full power OFF of the ISP Modem, RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON as well. 

Message 4 of 10
molbart
Aspirant

I did the power cycle and also tried AP mode .... neither worked.

Can you provide some more detials behind how to do this:

configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi

I found a setting named "Cascade Router" 

It has these settings:

Cascaded Router

Cascaded Router Enable: On Off                
Cascaded Router Address:
Network Address:

Subnet Mask:

Is this the same as IP Pass-THrough?

Message 5 of 10
molbart
Aspirant

I did a different test this morning. I unplugged the orbie from the frontier router and plugged in my old netgear nighthawk. With the night hawk I have NO bandwidth loss at the frontier router nd get consistent downloads of 30mb down and 4mb up. There has is something that has changed with the orbie with the firmware upgrade

Message 6 of 10
molbart
Aspirant

I did a side by side comparison of the orbi settings and the nighthawk settings. Everything was setup the same way except for UPnP! There was one entry in the portmap table on the orbi!!! I have no idea how that got in there. I deleted it and so far speeds are much better. 

Turning the radios off on the frontier router and setting the orbie to AP mode made no difference.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 8 of 10
molbart
Aspirant

Yes... I did a factory reset on both the orbie and frontier modem/router. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume if your seeing bad speeds with the Orbi in router or AP mode, then there would be something between the ORBI router and your ISP modem that needs to be looked at. Something in the configuration of the modem maybe slowing down the speed. 

Ask the ISP about putting the modem in bridge mode.

Swap out LAN cables between the modem and Orbi router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7