Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Lan speed

OrbiMan
Luminary

Orbi Lan speed

First my enviroment is roughly 5000 square feet

Basement with 2 computer hard wired into a Netgear R7000 with DDWRT that been turn into a Wireless Bridge that have Ethernet run into an Old computer

Right above the basement is my living room is an Orbi Sat with a NAS Hardwire into it with 2 ethernet cable that is bond together

Across my my living room is maybe 30 feet sit the Orbi Router (punch maybe half a wall) (that have a WAN Ethernet connection to an ActionTech Verizon router - However verizon router is only acting as a MOCA Bridge nothing more- All routing and hard work is done by Orbi).

Directly 1 floor above the Orbi router sit my second orbi sat (I assume signal ramp through the ceilling) It is a fairly tall.

So my test is transfer from my NAS

So baseline test.  Ethernet directly into the orbi sat in my living room that have the QNAP NAS attach.  Transfer file from NAS at 112 Megabyte/s = 896 mbps (so almost theoretical max of 1 Gbps ethernet)

Now first the basement with the wireless bridge.  Computer copy file from NAS at 55 MB/s.   Laptop 5Ghz verified connected to the Sat with NAS attached, same sat as the wireless bridge.  laptop copy at 51 MB/s.  So Bassically less than 46% of the speed directly ethernet wired.

Now labtop sitting in my kitchen (near the orbi router) however my other sat sit above the kitchen in my second floor.  The lap decided to connect the the Sat upstair.  Speed around 41 MB/s  36% of the max ethernet speed.  I presume the signal go from my living room NAS to the sat -> router in my kitchen -> upstair sat -> laptop sitting in kitchen.  so the Longest route

Going to my Top floor/Attic (3rd floor) my laptop decided to connect to the Sat with the NAS attached all the way on the 1st floor poor signal at 5GHz but got 28 MB/s (25% of Max speed).  Not bad considering it is punching through 2 floors.  When moving over the little bit on my atttic in line of sight of my Sat on 2nd floor Good signal strength 44 MB/s (40% of max speed)

My Bed room on 2nd floor the orbi sat is outside of the bedroom around 40 MB/s as it has a bit of wall

So I think going from NAS->>sat->>>wireless backhall->>>router >>>>wireless backhall cost me about 50-60% of my theoretical max speed of jacking into the NAS.  So basically transfering file inside my net work max aout at ~350 mbps no where near the 866 mbps of AC

-----

Note it seem my labtop with Intel dual band 7260 and orbi does not switch from router to sat to another sat easily when I move through the house.  I have to disconnect and reconnect for it to do it.  so it seems.  It may take time to switch but I don't have patience for that.

I test an older labtop with Wireless N man the speed is horrible I get 5-10 MB/s at most.  Anyone have any number that they would like to share?

Of course my FIOS internet is the cheapest one at 50 megabit/up down so even at 5 MB/s is more than enough to get full internet speed.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@OrbiMan wrote:

First my enviroment is roughly 5000 square feet

So I think going from NAS->>sat->>>wireless backhall->>>router >>>>wireless backhall cost me about 50-60% of my theoretical max speed of jacking into the NAS.  So basically transfering file inside my net work max aout at ~350 mbps no where near the 866 mbps of AC

Sounds like you are getting good throughput all around.

Note that your measured throughput will never be more than about 50-60% of the reported WiFi connection rate (866 in your case), due to wireless overhead.

@OrbiMan wrote:

Right above the basement is my living room is an Orbi Sat with a NAS Hardwire into it with 2 ethernet cable that is bond together

I don't believe Orbi's switch supports bonding of Ethernet ports.

Message 2 of 7
OrbiMan
Luminary

I am using the bonding mode Balance-alb in QNAP it doesn't require the router to support bonding.

Message 3 of 7

i think your understanding of what balanced mode can do is the issue , in balanced mode the nas can send out data to two devices at the same time without loss in speed to ether device

Balance-alb (Adaptive Load Balancing)
Balance-alb is similar to balance-tlb but also attempts to redistribute incoming (receive load balancing) for IPV4 traffic. This setup does not require any special switch support or configuration. The receive load balancing is achieved by ARP negotiation sent by the local system on their way out and overwrites the source hardware address with the unique hardware address of one of the Ethernet interfaces in the bond such that different peers use different hardware address for the server. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.
General switches

this wont make one transfer twice as fast

in my testing i can achieve about 70MB/s max with the router and sat about 10 meters apart where the 1733M backhaul connects at its max sync eg perfect conditions , moving the sat further away effects the max sync and thus the throughput will lower accordingly

so placement is the key here , if the connection between the router and sat isnt optimal you wont get the max throughput

because the backhaul is 5 gig you also need to take into account its coverage can drop far quicker than 2.4 gig

took me quite a while to get the optimal location by having a laptop connected to the sat by ethernet and moving both sat and laptop to various areas and recording throughput and working out the best placement for the sat / sats to get the best throughput  , the colored lights in no way give anything close to an accurate representation of actual quality of the backhaul connection

Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@OrbiMan wrote:

I am using the bonding mode Balance-alb in QNAP it doesn't require the router to support bonding.

Ok.  I thoght you meant Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP), which is not supported by Orbi.

Message 5 of 7
geekjimmy
Tutor

I have a desktop machine in my office in the back of the second floor of my house (3K sf above grade). It connects via Cat 6 to the satellite in the same room. The satellite connects via backhaul to the Orbi Router (in AP mode) that's sitting on a shelf between the joists in the center of my unfinished basement. The Router is connected to my Google Fiber box via Cat 6.

desktop ----> satellite ----> router (ap mode) ----> GF box.

Speedtest just gave me this:

Speed Test

The only time I've gotten faster speed test results is if I'm on a machine directly connected to the Orbi Router (800-ish up & down) or the GF box itself (950+ up & down).

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 7
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Not a bad speed indeed. I'm getting about half that when going from my desktop wired to the satellite to a server wired to the router  (in router mode).

Seems like my speeds are normal considering the amount of basement stuff the router has to go through (see the "Hallway" part for reference: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed?showall=&start... )

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7