Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Limiting Speed - wired & wireless

Psyon001
Tutor

Orbi Limiting Speed - wired & wireless

I just had Gig internet installed on Friday and when it was installed I had the ethernet cable connected directly from the modem to my Macbook which reported speeds on avergae of 985Mbps. After connecting that same cable to the Orbi, and running the network cable provided by Orbi to my Macbook, the speed is now limited to ~95Mbps. I also ran the speedtest from the QoS section of my Orbi config and it only shows 338Mbps. I've tried restarting the router as well as manually updating the firmware (because it showed no update available) from 2.0.x.x to 2.1.1.16. I don't think I have any special settings besides 3 reserved IPs and 6 port forwardings. Everything else should be out of the box. Interestingly, my 5g wifi is outputting speeds higher than my wired connection - iPhone speedtest shows 268Mbps. (all speedtests done by Ookla Speedtest apps)

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Psyon001
Tutor

Re: Orbi Limiting Speed - wired & wireless

Disregard, I found the culprit. I forgot I placed a small ethernet switch under the table using the same cable from Orbi. After some digging around I found it was only 100Mbps switch. I'll be returning that to Amazon now. Also the speed test on Orbi Config QoS must be off because after connecting Mac directly to Orbi I got 690 Mbps on the first attempt.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Psyon001
Tutor

Disregard, I found the culprit. I forgot I placed a small ethernet switch under the table using the same cable from Orbi. After some digging around I found it was only 100Mbps switch. I'll be returning that to Amazon now. Also the speed test on Orbi Config QoS must be off because after connecting Mac directly to Orbi I got 690 Mbps on the first attempt.

Message 2 of 3
tucsontico
Virtuoso

According to numerous older threads on this forum, DO NOT USE the built-in Speedtest on the QOS setup page. Apparently, that test mode causes some users to have slow-downs and other anomolies.  Try using a third party speedtest on a web browser or via a smartphone.

Having said all that, I'm not a WiFi expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm merely trying to help out with some potential fixes. Overall, I've been pleased with the performance of the ORBI system in my environment. There are still issues in my system too but nowhere near as many as other folks continue to report. One final note, I am running firmware version 2.0.0.74. It has been quite stable and gives me good wired and WiFi speeds. Good luck! 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7