Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Limiting bandwidth wired and wireless

badbet
Aspirant

Orbi Limiting bandwidth wired and wireless

Hi all, I'm having a strange issue with my recently purchased RBR50 and I can't seem to run down what the culprit is. 

My ISP is Spectrum and I'm on their 400 down plan. I'm using the generic modem they provided as I didn't have to pay for it and I'm not renting it. The product sticker on the bottom doesn't have a model name, but says it's manufactured by "Hitron"? It doesn't appear to have router functionality but I could be wrong. 

I can consistently get 500+ when wired directly to the modem. When I connect it to my RBR50, wired and wireless speeds never push past ~90mbps. The connection status shows the WAN port at 100M/Full. I have tested this with the provided cat5e cable and three other cat5e cables of from different manufacturers. I have not yet tested with cat6.

I have factory reset the device 3 times. I have enabled/disable mu-mimo/fast roaming/beam forming and daisy-chaining. While these speeds are acceptable I guess, I'd prefer to get closer to what I'm paying for (especially considering how expensive this system is). 

The disconnect appears to be between the modem and the router as it pertains to negotiating the link speed, but what I can't figure out is if the modem is smart enough to tell the difference between a client and a router or if the Orbi is downgrading the connection speed (and if it is, why?).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
badbet
Aspirant

For the curious (@furrye38), replacing the rbr50 and cable seems to have done the trick. Bear in mind that I did test 4 or 5 cat5e/cat6 cables prior to replacing the unit.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 23

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to find out the model # of the modem if possible to check to see if it has a built in router or not. You can check the internet status page under advanced to see if the RBR is getting a 192.168 or maybe a 10.something IP address on the WAN port, if so, then there is a router at the modem. If the WAN reports a ##.##.###.### IP address, then there probably isn't a router at the modem. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?

After the factory reset, did you enable QoS, Traffic Meter or any Acess Controls, like Circle or Armor? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

While disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

Ok, I can find out exactly what model number it is. I remember looking last night and not seeing anything I would easily identify as a model designation. I believe it's reporting a 192 IP address. What should I expect to see if there is a router in the modem?

Unfortunately, it looks like remote management isn't working currently so I can't definitively say what firmware I'm on, but it is current as of last nights factory resets.

I did not actively enable any QoS, Armor appears to activate automatically. Could that be negotiating my link speed down to 100?

My home is probably around 1600 sq ft. The satellite and router are probably 20 feet apart, separated by one interior wall. 

2.4 is set to auto, if I recall correctly 5 was set to 36. 

No neighbors within a couple hundred feet on any side.

As I mentioned, bemforming/mimo/daisy-chaining/fast roaming were are enabled/disabled as a part of my troubleshooting last night. I did not make any changes to the WMM settings. 

The part that's confusing to me is that the modem will give me a full 500 down when connected directly to my computer, but the second I plug it in, every link drops to 100 down. 

Message 3 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

@badbet wrote:

Ok, I can find out exactly what model number it is. I remember looking last night and not seeing anything I would easily identify as a model designation. I believe it's reporting a 192 IP address. What should I expect to see if there is a router in the modem?

If the RBR is getting a 192.168 or maybe a 10.something IP address on the WAN port, if so, then there is a router at the modem. If the WAN reports a ##.##.###.### IP address, then there probably isn't a router at the modem.

Unfortunately, it looks like remote management isn't working currently so I can't definitively say what firmware I'm on, but it is current as of last nights factory resets.

I did not actively enable any QoS, Armor appears to activate automatically. Could that be negotiating my link speed down to 100?

If doing a factory reset and setup from scratch, Armor will ask you if you want it enabled or not. I would NOT enabled it. Others have mentioned this feature seems to cause some problems...

My home is probably around 1600 sq ft. The satellite and router are probably 20 feet apart, separated by one interior wall. 

20 feet is too close. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

2.4 is set to auto, if I recall correctly 5 was set to 36. 

No neighbors within a couple hundred feet on any side.

As I mentioned, bemforming/mimo/daisy-chaining/fast roaming were are enabled/disabled as a part of my troubleshooting last night. I did not make any changes to the WMM settings. 

Keep Beamforming enabled. Daisy Chain is only needed if you have more then 1 satellite connected and placed in a linear line out from the router thus piggy backing of one another. 

The part that's confusing to me is that the modem will give me a full 500 down when connected directly to my computer, but the second I plug it in, every link drops to 100 down. Need to find out the model and if this modem has a built in router or not. 

Message 4 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Ok, so I'm confused. In the case of either a 192. or 10. address it would indicate the presence of a router within the modem?

I was able to track down the modem model number as well: Hitron E31N2V1

I wasn't prompted, but I'll disable it when I get home. Additionally, I'll see what I can do about repositioning the satellite. That said, I don't see how that would impact the link speed on the router. Regardless, it's a problem that needs fixing. 

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

@badbet wrote:

Ok, so I'm confused. In the case of either a 192. or 10. address it would indicate the presence of a router within the modem? YES. 

I was able to track down the modem model number as well: Hitron E31N2V1

I believe this is a model only with not router built in. Should be ok...

I wasn't prompted, but I'll disable it when I get home. Additionally, I'll see what I can do about repositioning the satellite. That said, I don't see how that would impact the link speed on the router. Regardless, it's a problem that needs fixing. 

Try the speed test with out the RBS online. Turn it off. Hoping a reset and setup from scratch, don't enable Armor should have better results. 

Message 6 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

I'll give it a shot, thanks. 

I'm going to test with a CAT6 cable as well. 

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT 6 highly recommended. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

Fresh CAT6 cable, factory reset, no satellite, issue persists.

The WAN link is still capping out at "100M/Full"

: (

There's got to be a setting I'm missing, right? Something? 

Message 9 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

@badbet wrote:

The WAN link is still capping out at "100M/Full"

This is the entire problem.  A 100mb link will "top out" at under 90mb.  The Orbi WAN (yellow) port is capable of 1000mb.  When I search for specs on the Hitron E31N2V1, it seems difficult to locate.  How many ethernet ports are on the back of the Hitron E31N2V1?

Message 10 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

Yeah I mean, I get that. That's why I'm here lol

There is a single ethernet port on the back of the modem. I've attached the scant documentation spectrum provided.

Edit: for what it's worth, I spoke with netgear and they had me follow some of the steps I mentioned above (mu-mimo, fast roaming etc), changed the MTU size and the channel numbers for 2.4 and 5. No improvement there either. 

Message 11 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

None of these WiFi parameters will do anything to address the problem.  Somehow the automatic 10/100/1000 speed sensing mechanism between the modem and the Orbi is not working.

1000BASET will work over CAT5, CAT5E, and CAT6 cables over a distance of 90 meters.  Seriously, with patch cords being typically 10ft or so, it doesn't matter what the cable is.

The difference between 100BASET and 1000BASET is the number of wires.  1000BASET requires all eight wires to be connected.  If they are not all connected correctly, then the speed falls back to 100BASET.

It is rare, but I have seen ethernet jacks where the little gold wires inside have been bent and one or more wires in the cable do not make contact.  Since you have tried more than one patch cord, I would get a flashlight and look carefully at the jacks on both the modem and the Orbi.

Message 12 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 13 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

Unfortunately, the contacts in the port are all intact : (

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if your getting 500Mbps directly connected to the ISP modem and can't with the Orbi in the mix, I would presume the Orbi is the problem. Maybe a a HW fault at the WAN/LAN ports. 

Do you happen to have two windows PCs and a Gb LAN switch by chance? There is a way to test to see if your Orbi is really bad. If you don't no worries. 

I would ask NG for an RMA or get the system returned for another system. 

@badbet wrote:

Hi all, I'm having a strange issue with my recently purchased RBR50 and I can't seem to run down what the culprit is. 

My ISP is Spectrum and I'm on their 400 down plan. I'm using the generic modem they provided as I didn't have to pay for it and I'm not renting it. The product sticker on the bottom doesn't have a model name, but says it's manufactured by "Hitron"? It doesn't appear to have router functionality but I could be wrong. 

I can consistently get 500+ when wired directly to the modem. When I connect it to my RBR50, wired and wireless speeds never push past ~90mbps. The connection status shows the WAN port at 100M/Full. I have tested this with the provided cat5e cable and three other cat5e cables of from different manufacturers. I have not yet tested with cat6.

I have factory reset the device 3 times. I have enabled/disable mu-mimo/fast roaming/beam forming and daisy-chaining. While these speeds are acceptable I guess, I'd prefer to get closer to what I'm paying for (especially considering how expensive this system is). 

The disconnect appears to be between the modem and the router as it pertains to negotiating the link speed, but what I can't figure out is if the modem is smart enough to tell the difference between a client and a router or if the Orbi is downgrading the connection speed (and if it is, why?).

Message 15 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any Windows machines. I can get my hands on a switch, however. A previous poster mentioned plugging my laptop directly into the orbi's WAN port to validate that it is, in fact, capable of hitting 1000M. That said, even if I can validate that the WAN port is capable of that speed, I'm not sure it really points me anywhere in terms of troubleshooting. If the modem can hit 500+ and the router is capable of negotiating that speed, what piece of the puzzle is at fault? Would I then need to try a few more ethernet cables? I'm unable to find a setting that manages the link speed for the WAN port. 

After trying the CAT6 cable, I had kind of resolved to return or exchange the unit (I've only had it about a week), but my hesitation is that the next one's just gonna do the same thing, but I guess that's the case with anything really. 

Thanks again. 

Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I would return or exchange. If you can see if the WAN port connects at 1000Mb then even if that pans out, the RBR is not working to spec and your seeing differences between that and the modem when directly connected. 

I would return it. 

Message 17 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help. I guess I'll be getting these swapped out, then. I'll come through and update the thread if the next unit has similar issues. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

For the curious (@furrye38), replacing the rbr50 and cable seems to have done the trick. Bear in mind that I did test 4 or 5 cat5e/cat6 cables prior to replacing the unit.
Message 20 of 23
fljoemon
Guide

Very cool that you solved your issue with a new Orbi. Did you buy the Orbi RBK50 brand new or was it a used/refurbished one that you got initially? The reason I am asking is I am planning to get one soon and have seen great deals on refurbs.

Message 21 of 23
badbet
Aspirant

They were both new in box from Best Buy. I would have preferred a different solution, but at this point any port in a storm.
Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like you had a bad unit. Glad the new system is working now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7