Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Losing CenturyLink PRISM TV signal

sirpots
Follower

Orbi Losing CenturyLink PRISM TV signal

Hello All,

I am currently using my Orbi System to get rid of the provided router CenturyLink. I have Gigabit Internet and TV. The Internet portion works great! I am running into a problem with the TV portion though. With 'Disable IGMP Proxy' unchecked and having a VLAN tag of 201, I get a picture. After about 30 minutes, the picture looses signal till I change the channel. Can anyone tell me waht's going on?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
danstah
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Losing CenturyLink PRISM TV signal

Any luck with getting this working? I'm thinking about an Orbi but I have CenturyLink Fiber and Prism. Want to make sure their won't be issues. 

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your modem/ONT have a built in router? If not, Orbi system should work well.

IF the modem/ONT has a built in router, you'll need to configure the modem/ONT for bridge mode or use its DMZ for the Orbi router or use the Orbi router system in AP mode.

@danstah wrote:

Any luck with getting this working? I'm thinking about an Orbi but I have CenturyLink Fiber and Prism. Want to make sure their won't be issues. 

Message 3 of 9
danstah
Aspirant

It does have a router/modem however I currently have an asus router which I can connect directly to the fiber box (Not sure If I'd consider that a modem) without the need for the provided Technicolor modem/router thing. When I do this I need to enable vlan tagging for 201 and then turn on IGMP Snooping (Efficient multicast forwarding) and IGMP Proxy (Multicast Routing). See below picture for example (IGMP settings were not enabled in this picture but need to be for Prism TV to work). 

More settings

It seems as though the IGMP Proxy is there within the Orbi settings but I'm not seeing anything about the Snooping which makes me wonder if that's why the OP is having issues. 

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well, I know there is mention of managed switches used with Orbi systems that seems to cause problems. A user just posted today that disabling IGMP on the switch seems to help resolve the connection issue between the router and satllite when a managed switch is in between. I know this is not related to this post, hoeever maybe something to look at.

Also having a router in between the ISP service and the Orbi router or any other router will cause problems, Double nat condition is not recommended. So reason for asking. DMZ on the ISP modem or ONT can help with this if the modem can't be fully bridged or use the modem router as the NAT router and change the Orbi to AP mode.

@danstah wrote:

It does have a router/modem however I currently have an asus router which I can connect directly to the fiber box (Not sure If I'd consider that a modem) without the need for the provided Technicolor modem/router thing. When I do this I need to enable vlan tagging for 201 and then turn on IGMP Snooping (Efficient multicast forwarding) and IGMP Proxy (Multicast Routing). See below picture for example (IGMP settings were not enabled in this picture but need to be for Prism TV to work). 

More settings

It seems as though the IGMP Proxy is there within the Orbi settings but I'm not seeing anything about the Snooping which makes me wonder if that's why the OP is having issues. 

Message 5 of 9
danstah
Aspirant

Maybe I didn't explain well berfore my current setup. Also keep in mind I'm not the OP who was having issues. I don't have an Orbi at the moment. 

For reference right now I have:

ONT > Asus Router (with the settings I talked about before) 

See pic below (Not mine but it's the same one)

Image result for ont centurylink

• I have read that you can set your ISP provided router device and set up a transparent bridge however I've tried with very little luck so I'm trying to avoid that stupid thing all together. The software interface is terrible. 
  • Am I right in thinking that IGMP snooping isn't possible on the Orbi?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I know this isn't in reference to the OP.

If you can't get the ISP modem/router in bridge, be sure to use it's DMZ for any router you have behind the modem. This will help with NAT issues. This would be all you need to do with the modem.

I don't believe Orbi supports IGMP. I don't have that kind of TV service. I have DISH with Hopper and 3 joeys. The Joeys are all wired up thru the Orbi system to the Hopper. Works well here for me.

Message 7 of 9
danstah
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. Using IPTV is a real pain. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, seen this issue in other Mfr routers as well. I wish the IPTV world would work with the router Mfrs to help ensure there services work with routers better. I presume there is some grounds for responsbility with them as well. Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7