Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Losing wifi connection

Walkmic3
Guide

Orbi Losing wifi connection

I have had the Orbi AC 2200 for a month now. 2 to 3 times a week we completely lose our wifi.
Message 1 of 67
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Losing wifi connection

Hello Walkmic3

Do you check your modem when you lose connection to see if that goes out as well?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 67
Walkmic3
Guide

Yes the modem is staying connected and if I am headlined into to orbi’s router I still have internet. The WiFi single from Orbi just cuts out.
Message 3 of 67
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to enable beamforming and mumimo in the Advanced wireless settings?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 67
snajmus
Aspirant

Can anyone confirm whether NetGear has actually solved the problem of Orbi dropping internet connection that has been mentioned by so many people.  I am specifically talking about the 3-pack from Costco (RBK53-100NAS).   Is NetGear being honest or giving answers confusing the consumers with different models. It would be nice if NetGear gives a CLEAR answer specifying which model the problem is solved and how. 

Message 5 of 67
Walkmic3
Guide

No I have not. I have no clue how to do that either.
Message 6 of 67
Walkmic3
Guide

Hey Darren thanks I figured out to turn that. I’ll give it a try. I have the 3 pack 43. So I hope those aren’t the ones with the WiFi problem
Message 7 of 67
snajmus
Aspirant

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 8 of 67
snajmus
Aspirant

I appreciate the response. However, it is incomplete. May I have a STRAIGHT AND CLEAR ANSWER as to whether the internet connection problem is solved COMPLETELY and what are the steps. OR is it still a trial and error - try this, try that, AND PRAY.

Where can I find the solution and status to this internet connection drop and IOS connection drop problem reported by many many customers.

Please be straightforward - is it truly SOLVED or is it NOT.

Message 9 of 67
shanwa
Tutor

The only way I've been able to keep a stable wireless network is to turn my RBR50 into an Access Point. Having it set to Router mode meant that my wifi would drop multiple times a day. I've spent an hour with support on the phone with a guy that had difficulty with english, to advise that I had a hardware problem and to return it to the place of purchase. I received a replacement immediately from Bestbuy and it did the exact same thing. I've updated my ticket on Netgears support site to receive zero response. This is a second class product we pay a premium for with **bleep**house support.

Message 10 of 67
snajmus
Aspirant

Hello

Thanks for your response.  I hope NetGear is paying attention to these comments. On the AP matter, can you explain a little bit more.  So, do you get high speed connection at every corner of your house; in essence your Satellite connections are to the Cable Modem router, not the Orbi router, right?

I don't understand all of it - needs little more advice from you on how to set up my RBK53 (1 router unit and 2 satelitte system) that I bought from Costco.

Regards,

Message 11 of 67
shanwa
Tutor

My current setup is

• Modem/Router - RBR50 (AP Mode) - RBS50 : enabled beamforming, MUMIMO and fast switching.

I get minimal drops if any, I can't use any of the features like parental control

If I have it setup as

• Modem - RBR50 (Router Mode) - RBS50 : doesn't matter what I have enabled/disabled

I get consistent drop outs multiple times a day. I can confirm that my internet modem remains connected the entire time. WIFI is functional and my devices connected to the access points but I get no internet connectivity whether I'm connected via WIFI or ethernet.

As the support from Netgear has been disgusting, I have no choice but to take this back to the place of purchase since it's my second unit that's doing the exact same thing.

Message 12 of 67
shanwa
Tutor

Forgot to mention, I've disabled wifi on the modem/router to ensure there's no conflicts in both scenarios. Satellite works and remains connected the entire time. I get signal strength as far as two houses away but the internet service doesn't remain stable when I have the RBR50 set to Router mode.

Message 13 of 67
snajmus
Aspirant

If you turn off wifi in cable modem/router (provided by your ISP), which of the Orbi is set to router mode. You must have one router in the house to distribute wifi signal to satellites. Satellites Orbi won't work without having a router.  Not clear - what configuration exactly are you using to make it work

Message 14 of 67
shanwa
Tutor

i'm not sure how more clear I need to be.

I have a modem/router and I've configured it to use the RBR50 as an AP and a router. At no point do I have more than 1 router, and I always have a router configured in both scenarios. In each scenario my satellite is connected to the RBR50 and never my modem/router as I mentioned WIFI is always disabled on this.

Message 15 of 67
snajmus
Aspirant

I am sorry, I didn't see that you actually provided the configuration.  My apologies for not reading the previous comment. I appreciate you giving us a comprehensive answer.  Probably this is the best answer I got, given Netgear has lousy support. Yesterday, I got hold off someone after 25 minutes of waiting and he wanted to transfer me to another person and dropped my phone line (similar to internet drops).

I understand you are returning the system. Is that because of loss of internet connection or loss of router capability and other features

Message 16 of 67
shanwa
Tutor

It's the fact I paid good money for a product that doesn't actually function as expected.  I even call tech support and they think it's faulty and ask you to return it!

No ability to use dyndns, parental controls, remote management, even the ios apps are completely useless when not using it in router mode. 

Message 17 of 67
snajmus
Aspirant

You truly are excellent and very very helpful. Thank you so much. You helped me make the decision. After so much of experience and reconfigurations, if you are returning the system, then Netgear should pay attention and TELL ALL OF US WHY WE SHOULD BUY ORBI.  I am doing some research on Eero - and I hear they are easy to set up and very reliable, although may not be giving as high a speed as Orbi does.  But, what good is a speed, if you can't use it.  It is like in a restaurant they give you 100 items, but no plate to eat vs a restaurant where they give you 50 items, and a PLATE to eat it.

Netgear is a reputable company. I am puzzled by its Orbi team's lack of CLARITY and support. They should know all of these issues, and could advice customers accordingly.

Thanks again

Message 18 of 67
snajmus
Aspirant

You truly are excellent and very very helpful. Thank you so much. You helped me make the decision. After so much of experience and reconfigurations, if you are returning the system, then Netgear should pay attention and TELL ALL OF US WHY WE SHOULD BUY ORBI.  I am doing some research on Eero - and I hear they are easy to set up and very reliable, although may not be giving as high a speed as Orbi does.  But, what good is a speed, if you can't use it.  It is like in a restaurant they give you 100 items, but no plate to eat vs a restaurant where they give you 50 items, and a PLATE to eat it.

Netgear is a reputable company. I am puzzled by its Orbi team's lack of CLARITY and support. They should know all of these issues, and could advice customers accordingly.

Thanks again

Message 19 of 67
ztevie
Guide

Netgear really should step up and come clear about what's being done, and acknowledge the problems with the Orbis. That they don't, just tell me they are aware something's wrong and can't do anything about it, possibly bad hardware in many, many units... It will cost them a lot to acknowledge a problem and accept returns, so it's better to be silent and let customers take the hit.
Another thing puzzling me: Of all these problem threads here, sometimes you see a Netgear employee answer: "I have sent you a PM."
Why? What's so secret? Wouldn't it be better to be open with possible solutions? It would save a lot of time and headache for both customers and Netgear employees if customers could find possible solutions e before they post themselves?
Unless of course, there are no solutions and the units are faulty themselves....
Message 20 of 67
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you are experiencing disconnects after the latest firmware update send me a PM with your name email and phone number and I will get you in contact with our support team to troubleshoot the issue.

DarrenM

Message 21 of 67
shanwa
Tutor

Hey DarrenM thanks for replying, but I've created a new discussion as I seem to have resolved my own problem! Link

Message 22 of 67
Walkmic3
Guide

Hey Darren I am still losing my WiFi on the RB40 with 2 satellites. Plus every once a while one of the satellites disconnects.
Message 23 of 67
Walkmic3
Guide

And now I can’t log into orbilog In to chech my setting. It keeps saying I must be on my orbi’s Wifi when I am on. Thanks for all of you help
Message 24 of 67
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Are you trying to log into orbi with a device that is hardwired into the router?

DarrenM

Message 25 of 67
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7