Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Besure that you preformed a factory reset after loading the beta FW on BOTH router and Satellite. Then set from scratch. 

Placement is crucial as well. Mines about 40 feet disstance between the router and satellite. 

@srinivas29wrote:

Upgraded to the Beta Firmware for both the router and satellite. The satellite is connected to router in 2.4 GHZ and the connection is poor. Any solution for this, other than moving the satellite closer to the router. Satellite is exactly in a floor below the router. 

Message 51 of 762
srinivas29
Aspirant

I did for the satellite, I will have to do for the router. By Factory reset i hope you are asking me to hold the reset button on back of the router for 5 secs? 

Message 52 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Obri system do you have? This beta is for the RBR50 and RBK50 systems only. 

If you have the 50 system, use IE11 or FF browser to send the FW file. Besure your wired with the Satllite and router when you upgrading FW. DO NOT USE Wireless!!!

@Csanderson0628wrote:
I did try that link to update it but it would not take that update.

Message 53 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to reset both Router and Satellites for the new FW to take good full effect. Set up from scratch. 

@WAPwrote:

Was rock solid on .18 firmware.  Tried the beta and now the GUI isn't showing the satellites properly.  Reset the satellite back to factory and gave it a couple of hours for it to "settle down".  That didn't work.  Going to reset router and satellite and see if the beta is at least as good as .18

Message 54 of 762

I have a rbk33
Message 55 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

The beta FW  is for #50 models only right now. Other models are on the way. Please be patent. 

@Csanderson0628wrote:
I have a rbk33

Message 56 of 762
TrickyT
Tutor

Well, 16 hours up time on the new firmware with..

Daisy-Chain Topology enabled

Implicit BEAMFORMING enabled

MU-MIMO enabled

Fast Roaming enabled.

I have the RBR50 and two RBS50s.  So far everything is working flawless!  *knocks on wood*.  I didn't go as far as factory resetting everything, just updated that sats, then the routers.  Figured I'd try that before resetting everything.  So far so good, no errors in the logs, no issues on any devices.  Best stability I've had in months.

Message 57 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

YAY!!! Smiley Very Happy

@TrickyTwrote:

Well, 16 hours up time on the new firmware with..

Daisy-Chain Topology enabled

Implicit BEAMFORMING enabled

MU-MIMO enabled

Fast Roaming enabled.

I have the RBR50 and two RBS50s.  So far everything is working flawless!  *knocks on wood*.  I didn't go as far as factory resetting everything, just updated that sats, then the routers.  Figured I'd try that before resetting everything.  So far so good, no errors in the logs, no issues on any devices.  Best stability I've had in months.

Message 58 of 762
mealto
Star

Running this for almost 12 hours and all is good. For now, every 1-2 min, I see this in the logs:

[DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source: 192.168.1.254. Don't see any attached devices to the router or satellite with this IP.

Any idea what this may be?

Message 59 of 762
guzzijason
Apprentice

In my expoerience, the "DoS Attack" warning in the Netgear logs tend to have alot of false positives. For instance, I run my Orbi behind a dedicated firewall that blocks all inbound connection attempts before it even reaches the Orbi at all, and yet the Orbi logs regularly tell me that it sees inbound "attacks", which are not possible. My assumption is that for many of these, the Orbi is just not doing an adequate job of maintiaing connection state tables, and sometimes what it thinks is an inbound attack is simply a valid response to a legit outbound packet.

I'm not sure about the "IP spoofing" message, however. That might be caused by a packet being received from an address that is not "local" to that interface's network. Or, perhaps it's the result of some sort of NAT behavior. I've not noticed that particular one in my logs.

Message 60 of 762
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Had GUI issues (satellites were not showing up as satellites).  Reset satellites, didn't fix the GUI issue.  Reset router and satellites and now the GUI display is correct.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 61 of 762
dpdurst
Luminary

Been running fine on the 2.1.2.18 firmware, upgraded this morning about 4am and no issues with the upgrade, router, sat or devices. Been running fine so far. Will continue to monitor

Message 62 of 762
Roamabout
Luminary

I did the upgrade this morning even though I had no issues with 2.1.2.18. My only observation was that after everything had rebooted and the Orbi router was showing both sat's connected, one of the sats had some connectivity issues. I had this exact same problem when I first bought the system so this is not a new problem.

The scenario is that the Orbi connection status shows both sats connected and connection quality good. Devices connected to the Sat-1 have no issues communicating out but devices connected to the Orbi router or to Sat 2 cant reach Sat-1 or the devices connected to Sat-1. Cant ping them, cant get an IP connection. The Orbi is in AP mode so if I use a device connected to the FIOS router I have no issues connecting to both Sat 1 and Sat 2. This seems to be an internal Orbi issue.

I can fix this by either rebooting Sat-2 or rebooting the Orbi router.

I opted to reboot the Orbi router and that fixed the problem in just a few mins. Since then the system has behaved normally.

Message 63 of 762
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

I have a 1GBs connection from Comcast which I always get close to over Ethernet. However I never got even close to that over wireless before. My speed improved from 200MBs before to over 320MB/s over wirless after this update. That's over 100MB/sec difference right there.

That's all I'm gonna say for now.

Message 64 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI, current wireless technology doesn't support 900+- speed testing. At most you might see 500mb. Too many factors llike client HW, design, connection rates and environment. Hard to see thruput speeds like that on wireless. 

@Elywrote:

I have a 1GBs connection from Comcast which I always get close to over Ethernet. However I never got even close to that over wireless before. My speed improved from 200MBs before to over 320MB/s over wirless after this update. That's over 100MB/sec difference right there.

That's all I'm gonna say for now.

Message 65 of 762
mealto
Star

After running this latest update, here is something interesting.

I am using the Wifi Sweetspots app  to test wireless speeds between the device and router. Although I can log in to the satellite and router to see what devices are logged in to each. The Wifi netowrk shown in the app has an assigned MAC address and it does not match up with either the router or satellite. I have read that there are other MAC addresses in the Orbi system.

When the satellite shows my phone connected, I am getting 400-500+ mbps. I assume this is testing the connection between the phone (connected to the satellite) and pinging the router. The interesting thing is, when I am connected to the router, speeds show only 50-80 mbps when I am 10 feet away from the router.

Odd. Can anyone else run Wifi Sweetposts and report back as well?

Message 66 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes seeing same thing with Wifi Sweetspots, ranging from 300 to 400+Mb. I presume this is between device and router only and not ISP services. 

Looking at the About info, its seems only to find spots in the room best for your routers and such. So, ya, only between the mobile device and router. Which speed if your close will be high and are also testing max speeds of your mobile device as well. 

@mealtowrote:

After running this latest update, here is something interesting.

I am using the Wifi Sweetspots app  to test wireless speeds between the device and router. Although I can log in to the satellite and router to see what devices are logged in to each. The Wifi netowrk shown in the app has an assigned MAC address and it does not match up with either the router or satellite. I have read that there are other MAC addresses in the Orbi system.

When the satellite shows my phone connected, I am getting 400-500+ mbps. I assume this is testing the connection between the phone (connected to the satellite) and pinging the router. The interesting thing is, when I am connected to the router, speeds show only 50-80 mbps when I am 10 feet away from the router.

Odd. Can anyone else run Wifi Sweetposts and report back as well?

Message 67 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

Oh well, made it 24 hours and connections dropped for multiple devices.

send them back to the room....

Message 68 of 762
mealto
Star

@FURRYe38wrote:

Yes seeing same thing with Wifi Sweetspots, ranging from 300 to 400+Mb. I presume this is between device and router only and not ISP services. 

Looking at the About info, its seems only to find spots in the room best for your routers and such. So, ya, only between the mobile device and router. Which speed if your close will be high and are also testing max speeds of your mobile device as well. 

Did you try running Wifi Sweetspots while connected to satellite versus router? If so, compare it to my numbers and see where we stand.

Message 69 of 762
wchp
Luminary

@steve8411wrote:

Oh well, made it 24 hours and connections dropped for multiple devices.

send them back to the room....

Out of curiosity, what make, model, type of device(s) dropped?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 70 of 762

@mealtowrote:

Running this for almost 12 hours and all is good. For now, every 1-2 min, I see this in the logs:

[DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source: 192.168.1.254. Don't see any attached devices to the router or satellite with this IP.

Any idea what this may be?

That is possibly your ATT Gateway (2Wire or Arris) that is pinging your router. I have the same thing. If your ATT Gateway is set up to block DOS attacks or filter pings then you can disable that on the Orbi (although you should have your Orbi set to DMZ on the Gateway and disable most of the filtering and let your Orbi handle all that).

cheers

Message 71 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

2 iPads and an android phone..

Personally wondering if there’s an issue with the DHCP from the router when jumping from sat to router and vice versa

Message 72 of 762
wchp
Luminary

@steve8411wrote:

2 iPads and an android phone..

Personally wondering if there’s an issue with the DHCP from the router when jumping from sat to router and vice versa

Do you have fast roaming enabled?

Message 73 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

No fast roaming and no daisy chaining.

Gonna set a static IP on my IPad and see if I lose the connection...

Message 74 of 762
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38

I am very aware of this, I was just commeting of the great speed improvement I have experience over wireless with this update which is TOP OF THE LINE speed IMHO. but hey thanks for reply.

Message 75 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7