Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

steve8411
Apprentice

My guess is there is something wrong with DHCP ....

You cannot set lease times ...  which, at my office, days after people are gone, their device still shows up as "connected" 

So far, my Ipad has not had a problem after giving it a static IP.

Message 126 of 762
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Thanks for the info.  Will definitely do what you suggest.  However - why is this now a problem with the Orbi firmware update, when I had no problems before?

Message 127 of 762
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same question: Does the Orbi Outdoor satellite (RBS50Y) work with the 2.1.3.4 Beta firmware. The current firmware version of the RBS50Y I have is: v2.1.2.20

I believe AmitR mentioned that the firmware number for the router and each satellite should be the same to the 3rd digit. I’m wondering if that applies to the RBS50Y as well?
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 128 of 762
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I installed the new BETA for the RBKR50 and RBKS50 but Circle is not working, I stay in the loop when trying to enabling Circle on the router. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 129 of 762
chsalmon
Apprentice

Hi again... (last for today 🙂  )

i've connected my satellite with wire via BPL (powerline devolo), it too far to use a real wire.

Will see tomorrow if it works better or not...with wire backhaul

i think you know that orbi's connected device page is very buggy,  i have too many device in the list, and one is connected to my satellite (with wifi , that's ok)  and to my router (with wire !  false ).

Message 130 of 762

I can confirm that Circle is working once enabled on RBR50 & RBS50.
Message 131 of 762
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you do something to get it enabled? I keep getting the error seen in the attachment.
Message 132 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a reset on both Satellite and router.

Also can try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming to see if this helps any.

@Jeremyinsfwrote:

I did not have any problems with previous version, but I went ahead and updated to the beta.

Now on the satellite I am getting disconnects... but just one device.  It's a La Crosse c84343 weather station.  It constantly (like once a minute) disconnects and then comes back online and requests DHCP address.  My log is now filled with DHCP messages from that device.  If it helps, that device is quite close to the satellite.

I have not done a hard reset of the satellite - I will do that next.

So far, this seems to be my only issue with the beta (knock on wood) but like I say, this is a new issue.

Message 133 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Did you factory reset both the router and the satellite?

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Romaing to see if this helps any.

@Sdiver2489wrote:

I was not having any problems with the previous firmware. I used the wired backhaul and it all seemed to be working well. The only issue I noticed crop up with the old firmware was that my android TV amazon video app would stutter a lot. I have not verified if this issue is fixed or if its an issue with that app (its the only app on the TV to have this issue).

I updated to the latest beta because I'm a sucker to want to try new things. So far its been stable for about 1.5 days. The only issue I had was my rainmachine sprinkler controller was disconnecting and connecting continuously. I tried rebooting the orbi and that didn't do anything. So I went and disconnected and connected the rainmachine and that appears to have mostly rectified the issue. I still got two disconnect messages last night but overall it seems to be functioning better. Is there anything I can do to detect the issue for these disconnect and reconnect messages?

Message 134 of 762
Streak2
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:
Did you do something to get it enabled? I keep getting the error seen in the attachment.

I loaded the beta firmware, did not do an resets and I was able to enble Circle with no problem.

Message 135 of 762
wchp
Luminary

@Retired_Memberwrote:

SayD1984,

Are you trying to do this with the app or have you tried doing it from the Web GUI? 

Your attachment is showing the app... I would suggest trying to enable it from the Web GUI/Interface from your PC instead.

Message 136 of 762
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

@j1n

we hope to have the outdoor FW available soon once its finished testing

DarrenM

Message 137 of 762
guzzijason
Apprentice

@steve8411wrote:

My guess is there is something wrong with DHCP ....

You cannot set lease times ...  which, at my office, days after people are gone, their device still shows up as "connected" 

So far, my Ipad has not had a problem after giving it a static IP.

The default DHCP lease time on the Orbi is 1 day (86400 seconds). It can be changed, but you need to be on the command line to do it:

# config set lan_lease=86400
# config commit
[ now reboot the router to apply]

Just change the default value to whatever you want... with the usual caveat that if you are poking around on the command line and not sure what you are doing, you may just make things worse for yourself; but nonetheless, the option is there for those intrepid types.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not sure that extending the DHCP lease time will actually fix anything in regards to the intermittent connectity drops that some clients seem to have. Personally, I prefer a longer lease time, but I've seen clients drop their connetion well before the current lease expires.

Message 138 of 762
Wizec
Apprentice

Still seeing lots of disconnects on iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.6 even after trying this beta since about an hour after it dropped online. Very disappointing. I’ve tried every tweak and combination of tweak that exists on this forum, which I’ve haunted for about 9 months now.

Message 139 of 762
nkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Wizecwrote:

Still seeing lots of disconnects on iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.6 even after trying this beta since about an hour after it dropped online. Very disappointing. I’ve tried every tweak and combination of tweak that exists on this forum, which I’ve haunted for about 9 months now.

I haven't had any issues for 36 hours now. Not a single complaint from my son or my wife or my mom that stays with me. We are all apple devices. 2 ipads and 3 iphones. Heard it everyday for a few months there is something wrong with the internet, it is so slow, wont open up page. That is when those devices would lose internet while my desktop wired in to satellite or my directv on demand will be fine as well. This firmware seems to have fixed that issue. 

For instance do you lose the wifi symbol on top? Or it still says you are connected but no internet. If you lose the wifi symbol and total disconnect disable your wifi assist on your iphone. That usually means it is kicking you off wifi and connecting to lte when it thinks you don't have strong enough signal. 

Message 140 of 762
pdawg17
Guide

The first 24 hours with the beta were great. Then I started having weird issues again. First my wired desktop lost connection so I immediately disabled daisy chaining (that was an issue before) and that fixed my desktop. Then this morning I woke up to find that none of my connections worked. I had to restart the router. Now everything is working again but not a good sign for me...

Message 141 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling MIMO, Fast Roaming and maybe Beamforming.

Try setting manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz. Any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@pdawg17wrote:

The first 24 hours with the beta were great. Then I started having weird issues again. First my wired desktop lost connection so I immediately disabled daisy chaining (that was an issue before) and that fixed my desktop. Then this morning I woke up to find that none of my connections worked. I had to restart the router. Now everything is working again but not a good sign for me...

Message 142 of 762
Wizec
Apprentice

I’m starting to think there are some time triggered bugs. I saw a rock solid 24hr too. And every time I’ve tried a settings change that causes a restart, I seem to have stability for about a day.

Which now makes me think that all the times I’ve disabled or tweaked a setting that caused a reboot and had a better experience for the day, it was the reboot, not the tweak that caused the temporary improvement.

Message 143 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a factory reset performed after installing the Beta FW on BOTH router and Satellites?

What setings have you changed?

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so how many? What channels are they using?

Have you tried setting manual 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channels on 5Ghz?

Disabling all MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming features? Might also disablie Beamforming as well. I've left Beamforming ON and disabled MIMO since I dont have many MIMO devices.

How is the system set up and place? Distance between my router and satellite is about 40 feet.

@Wizecwrote:

I’m starting to think there are some time triggered bugs. I saw a rock solid 24hr too. And every time I’ve tried a settings change that causes a restart, I seem to have stability for about a day.

Which now makes me think that all the times I’ve disabled or tweaked a setting that caused a reboot and had a better experience for the day, it was the reboot, not the tweak that caused the temporary improvement.

Message 144 of 762
mpf541
Apprentice

Seemed to work great for me untill i decided it was finally fixed. Then it seems to start dropping connections. Usually after a day of use. 

Message 145 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a factory reset performed after installing the Beta FW on BOTH router and Satellites?

What setings have you changed?

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so how many? What channels are they using?

Have you tried setting manual 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channels on 5Ghz?

Disabling all MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming features? Might also disablie Beamforming as well. I've left Beamforming ON and disabled MIMO since I dont have many MIMO devices.

How is the system set up and place? Distance between my router and satellite is about 40 feet.

@mpf541wrote:

Seemed to work great for me untill i decided it was finally fixed. Then it seems to start dropping connections. Usually after a day of use. 

Message 146 of 762
nkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

@pdawg17wrote:

I have daisy chain, mu-mimo, beamforming, fast roaming all disabled. I haven't had a single issue in 2+ days now. Rock solid. May be it wont stay that way but there is not really any need to use any fancy features if you have no need for it. If you haven't already disabled those, I also did a soft reset on my router but not the satellites. 

I haven't had any disconnections for 2+ days now. Normally my iphone would stop going on the internet and I would have to disable wifi.

Message 147 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

After setting a static IP on my iPad, there has been zero issues..

So with my vast experience (sarcasm), I tend to go back to my thoughts that the whole issue revolves around DHCP and especially apple devices.  Then gets compounded going from router to satellite...

Add to this, my iPad battery use has dramatically improved since setting the static IP.

Message 148 of 762
Wizec
Apprentice

Items changed:

• Disabled: allow 20/40 MHz coexistence
  • Enabled: Disable port scan and DoS protection
  • Disabled: Disable SIP ALG
  • Disabled: IPv6
  • Disabled: implicit beam forming, daisy chain, mu-MIMO, fast roaming
  • Lowered: 2.4Ghz power to 25%

Tried all 3 5Ghz channels. The potential for interference from neighbors is pretty low. We’re all on .3 acre lots in the suburbs. Whenever I check the connected devices page, I’m connected with a 5Ghz channel. I have not tried a factory reset yet. I work from home and haven’t had the time to set up the whole shebang from scratch.

Message 149 of 762
TrickyT
Tutor

Just wanted to give an update here.  I loaded this beta firmware up as soon as it came out on the 23rd.

Running RBR50 and two RBS50s.

Daisy-Chain Topology enabled

Implicit BEAMFORMING enabled

MU-MIMO enabled

Fast Roaming enabled.

We are now on day four and everything is working PERFECTLY!  No issues at all, no drops, no nothing.  

Just wanted to provide some positive news as probably more people that are having issues are commenting vs those with no issues.

Message 150 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7